Features In A Full-Time Egg - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We did have 3 people and a 75 lb. dog that full-timed for two years in a 24 foot stick-built and I am weaning that down to myself, a 60 lb. dog (perhaps a little dog added to the mix) and my teddy bear and Zippy - the stuffed monkey. The teddy bear has been following me for 56 years and the Zippy for almost 50 years so they are family, not stuff. Because I left home when I was 20, joined the military and continued to move, I lost the sense of "home" and the bear and Zippy are, therefore, my connection to my "roots".

I was studying the information online and noticed that Lil' Snoozy was wider on the outside and then saw that was due to the wheels being on the outside. I am betting it pulls very nicely too. We had, at one time, considered building a teardrop and I always thought that wheels on the outside would give one an edge on stability. When we were in the desert in AZ, going out to Gilbert Ray Campground, the edges of the road were rough - loved that place! So, I see this as a real plus.

I know before we moved into the 24 foot stick-built that we had the full-size van loaded with those plastic totes but as time went on, we were able to make a couple stops at a thrift shop and everything fit in the trailer. Stick-built was new but did not hold up and we dealt with the moisture especially with 3 people in a small place. We had so much time to spend doing things other than maintenance and upkeep.

I realized after moving back in a house that I "staged" the house rather than making it my home but the intention was to sell it when we finished the work it needed or, at least for me that was the plan. It looks totally "home" to others and I can hardly get them out of the house if anyone manages to get inside.

The issue with the cookbooks for raw foods is that it is a new thing for me and yes, I did compile my favorite recipes the last time we moved into a trailer.

This is a really big decision and I realize that. I over analyze every detail of everything - can't believe I have not driven myself totally bonkers yet or maybe I have? My life has been good and I am sure it shall continue that way. Attitude is everything, it truly is!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Condensation

"Sweating is something common with anything made out of fiberglass. Fiberglass acts like metal in this respect, it is completely solid and air tight. It also has very little (if any) insulating properties. Correct me if I am wrong, but Scamp and Casita both use "Rat Fur" for insulation and sweat control.
The Rat Fur treats the symptoms of the sweating (the actual moister build up on the inside). It soaks up the moister and if not dried out periodically it can mold. I believe it is the Egg that uses a double shell system with an airspace between them. (also correct me if I am mistaken) To my knowledge this works very well. " Nicholas Smoak

Nicholas,
I believe a double wall structure does offer advantages. Over the last two years we have traveled in a Casita 16 and a Scamp 16. We travel 7-11 months a year.

In two over two years of travel in both a 1995 Casita 16 and a 1991 Scamp 16 I have never seen condensation on either trailer's carpeted/cloth surfaces.

We use our stove about two times a day and always for breakfast.

We have seen condensation on windows in both rigs because neither trailer has thermopane windows similar to most trailers.

We have seen condensation on the fiberglass bathroom walls of the Casita but have never seen condensation on the Scamp's fiberglass bathroom walls. I believe the Scamp has insulation in it's exterior bathroom walls that prevents condensation.

As well it seems to me that the carpeted surfaces of the Scamp has insulation between the carpet and fiberglass which would work to prevent condensation.

This may be unique to me but I have never heard anyone describe their carpeted walls of having condensate on them other than from a leak.

One owner's experience....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #23

The stuff called "rat fur" is that like a marine grade carpeting rather than a floor carpeting? I noticed that Parkliner called it a "fuzzy", I believe, wall covering. What I saw in the Casita that I enlarged was not "fuzzy". My concern with anything "laminated" is, of course, is that it can separate. Saw 5 star trailers that delaminated in the stick-built industry but am not sure if there are different processes or something more updated with that. I also was looking at the difference between those with molded in cabinets and those that added wood-type. So many variations!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #24

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
we can accommodate some custom features requested. Extra cabinets are not a difficult change. Bill knows this first hand because we are adding an some to his.
A crystal chandelier or jacuzzi might be a little more difficult.
No jacuzzis? geez, customer service is just not what it used to be!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #25

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
No jacuzzis? geez, customer service is just not what it used to be!
Yeah... I saw a crystal chandelier in an Aliner once. Of course, it was plastic!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #26

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We have never spotted condensation in our Ventura. I don't know whether it is insulated or not - but I doubt it. It sleeps two adults and two small dogs but we always have the roof vent cracked, and almost always the small window in the 'kitchen'. If the weather is truly ok we open all the windows and enjoy the breezes.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Hi Hazel, your ventura has about 3/4" of fiberglass batting in it. I torn the whole interior out of mine in October so know it quite well! Did mine in pine paneling.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #28

After looking and looking at layouts/photos on the net, I have decided I really like the permanent bed option which is somewhat limiting a choice of manufacturers. I know that Lil' Snoozy and Escape offer the permanent bed with that nice storage under but do any others? I have to look over my notes again. I am not opposed to a used unit at all but they are so hard to come by especially here in the central US. The fifth-wheel because of the climbing, I'm not sure about as I did care for the larger 5th wheel we had and negotiating the steps in the middle of the night, I was never very graceful.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Small Solutions

We've had three small trailers. In two of them we had the beds set up continuously, In one of those cases we had a seperate full dinette and in the other a side dinette.

Presently we make the bed up every night and that's fine as well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Bigfoot has a 175FB with a double. I think replacing/converting the dinette in the 175CB with a double bed would result in a better floor plan. Their 21 and 25 foot floor plans have permanent beds too and much larger CCCs but then you'd end up like us in a 3500 Diesel!

We personally like the extra width of Bigfoot and Lil' Snoozy campers. It doesn't seem like much but it makes a huge difference. Do you have a bed size you are targeting or just the idea of a permanent bed? Very easily, any dinette can be converted to a permanent bed. If it was just me, with no plans to be +1 and if the fur babies are OK with the couch, I'd convert a 2 person dinette to a single... Bigfoot 175G or Casita Spirit 16/17. I just think that would be a better use of space for a permanent bed.

If you need/want larger then any full dinette can be converted. You could add full extension drawers underneath, if the floor plan allows, which would make getting to the under bed stuff easier. We originally wanted a Bigfoot 21RB but found a 25RQ. The biggest reasons for us to get it instead of a 21 were cost and tank sizes. If it were only up to me I'd replace the jackknife in the front with a double and turn the bedroom area into a living room. At this time I'm over-ruled.

Don't cross those without permanent beds off your list entirely since you can make them fit you with some changes. I'd make a second list of campers that would be ideal with a few changes. I know how frustrating it can be looking and hoping a camper comes up. You may need to take a vacation to an area that has many more available to at least get inside them.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe on the Escape the fresh water tank is located under the bed, thereby eliminating some of the available storage. Not sure where the tank is on Lil Snoozy. Look on the Escape forum for pictures of the underbid tank location.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #32

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
The freshwater tank on an Escape is mounted outside under the rear of the trailer although some people have opted to mount it under the bed.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #33

It seems a permanent bed that lifts for storage or even one with doors like the Lil' Snoozy would be the ideal and this came to mind when I read about someone using the dinette for a permanent bed and therefore not really using the storage underneath. With campers and two kids, I am very familiar with making up the dinette into a bed everyday and when they were in it, I guess, it was a lot more difficult because they didn't want to get up until they were ready for the breakfast that I refused to make until the table was ready!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #34

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
To make sure my post was clear... by converted I mean re-designed and altered through construction to be permanent and not making it into a bed by folding it down. I value a permanent bed after owning a van that required us to turn the couch into a bed every night and back into a couch every morning. If you choose to alter the dinette to make a permanent bed you could make the underneath storage accessible in any way you want.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 2002 13 ft Custom Deluxe and Fiber Stream 1984 16 ft
Cathy, you might also want to look at a Deluxe Scamp. They will customize any of their standard sizes. The bed is wider, and you can add cabinets. Plus, the wood interiors ae lovely.
Christa L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #36

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe on the Escape the fresh water tank is located under the bed, thereby eliminating some of the available storage.

Look on the Escape forum for pictures of the under-bed tank location.
The fresh water tank on the 19' double axle Escape is in the back, under the bed. The fresh water tank on the 17' single axle Escape is in the front, under the street-side bench.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
The fresh water tank on the 19' double axle Escape is in the back, under the bed. The fresh water tank on the 17' single axle Escape is in the front, under the street-side bench.
The standard location for the fresh water tank on the Escape 17 and 19 is outside under the rear of the trailer. Some people have had it mounted inside under the rear bed in the 19 but I've never heard of or seen one mounted up front in a 17. Most of the street-side bench storage space is taken up by the black tank.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Paul View Post
The standard location for the fresh water tank on the Escape 17 and 19 is outside under the rear of the trailer. Some people have had it mounted inside under the rear bed in the 19 but I've never heard of or seen one mounted up front in a 17. Most of the street-side bench storage space is taken up by the black tank.
The black tank in the bench storage? As in black water? Inside?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Why not? It's not like it vents to the inside of the trailer!!! although a leak would be nasty. I've heard of tanks leaking after getting hit by something when mounted outside but not when inside. There is also only one big hole going in at the top and another one going out at the bottom.

What could possibly go wrong. !!!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
That's where it is on MANY trailers - including my Boler 1700. Generally it has to be mounted high so it will drain well
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote