Features In A Full-Time Egg - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Glad I am aware of that! I don't want it inside and am seriously considering the cassette toilet which I have had and loved compared to the black water tank! So, I'm wondering how many units put the black water tank inside the trailer? I dislike chemicals and try to use all natural products when I can. Gosh, maybe I should just air out the tent!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #42

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Paul View Post
The standard location for the fresh water tank on the Escape 17 and 19 is outside under the rear of the trailer.
That could be my bad. When I saw the 1st 19' double axle Escape at the Oregon Gathering, the fresh tank was on top of the floor but under the queen bed. Reace might have decided that under the trailer is a better location for more recent builds.

I weighed one 17' Escape that had a 500 pound tongue weight, and the owner was concerned. She re-weighed it the next year and it was 340 pounds. When I asked what she changed, the answer was the the 1st time the fresh tank was full and the second time the fresh tank was empty. My fiber Stream has its fresh water tank under the bench in the front street-side corner and I assumed hers was the same, for that one change to have such a dramatic reduction in tongue weight.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #43

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
That's where it is on MANY trailers - including my Boler 1700. Generally it has to be mounted high so it will drain well
Black tanks are always (to my knowledge) directly below the toilet for gravity feed.

Scamp & Casita make the Black Tank part of the toilet assembly putting it above the floor just under the toilet bowl.

Burro put all 3 tanks (Fresh, Gray, Black) below the floor in their 17' trailers.

Fiber Stream has the Fresh tank above the floor in the front street-side corner and the gray and black tanks side-by-side below the floor at the rear of the trailer.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #44

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
That could be my bad. When I saw the 1st 19' double axle Escape at the Oregon Gathering, the fresh tank was on top of the floor but under the queen bed. Reace might have decided that under the trailer is a better location for more recent builds.

I weighed one 17' Escape that had a 500 pound tongue weight, and the owner was concerned. She re-weighed it the next year and it was 340 pounds. When I asked what she changed, the answer was the the 1st time the fresh tank was full and the second time the fresh tank was empty. My fiber Stream has its fresh water tank under the bench in the front street-side corner and I assumed hers was the same, for that one change to have such a dramatic reduction in tongue weight.
Actually, those numbers should have been backwards. The fresh tank is in the rear either underneath or inside under the bed, your option. But either location is behind the wheels. Thus if the tank was full it would have been lighter on the tongue vs empty as there being no counter weight when empty.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #45

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Right Locations

We owned one trailer where the gray tank was under the trailer centered above the axle, the water tank was on one side centered abovel the axle, the black tank was on the otherside centered over the axle and the refrigerator was abovel the axle and above the black tank.

Basically all heavy things or variably heavy things right over the axle. Loading simply had little effect on balance.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #46

I'm wondering if it would be better to buy used and modify? I had looked at the price of new versus used and was thinking that new made more sense since the used ones are high. I just came from the Casita Classified and they had 12 pages of used units for sale (many more than there was say 2 years ago - economy maybe) so I can't help but wonder if the prices will go down. I know from experience that when we have purchased new, I still modified to suit. The problem with used versus new is that even though the trailer itself is like new, the appliances/furnace/water heater, etc. - all pretty expensive to replace, could be nearing the end of their service life. I obsess about every detail but rarely, if ever, suffer "buyer's remorse" although I nearly drive myself and those I ask questions of off the edge. I truly appreciate all the responses that I have gotten and they are all so helpful in helping me to brainstorm the possibilities. Thank you so very much.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #47

Florida
Used

We've always bought used RVs. We know that the typical user is not like us, on the road for really long periods and that we'll need to modify it any way.

As to component failure, we have nhad 4 RVs and none of them looked like the stoves had ever been turned on. One we bought from the original owner after 25 years of ownership and they had never cooked on the stove.

The most expensive component is the Fridge. In 4 vehicles we've had to replace one.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I just came from the Casita Classified and they had 12 pages of used units for sale (many more than there was say 2 years ago - economy maybe) so I can't help but wonder if the prices will go down.
Keep in mind those for sale postings stay up forever. I doubt seriously that all those Casitas for sale are still available based on what I have heard from people looking for them. They always sell quickly.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #49

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cathy as you are hoping for a trailer sooner rather than later and as most of the rallies that have been posted so far (keep looking at the rally map as it changes weekly) are not until the fall I suggest that you narrow the trailers down to the ones you think you are most interested in. Then put up a new post here asking if anyone living close to you owns one and will let you take a look at it. That's worked for others.

Looking at photos and floor plans is one thing but as others have said actually sitting in a trailer and looking at how it will or will not work for you is another matter. When I first started looking at small trailers there was one type of trailer that I was sure was the one for me - felt very different about it once I had stood in it & asked about how various features worked etc. Although I luv my current trailer and have logged many miles and nights in it over the past 5 years - far more than the average weekend rv'er I do have my sights set on a different make now that I have had the chance to see one in real life & its only 1' bigger than what I have now. I am just waiting to win the lotto as I will also need a different tow vehicle to tow it :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian m. View Post
Keep in mind those for sale postings stay up forever. I doubt seriously that all those Casitas for sale are still available based on what I have heard from people looking for them. They always sell quickly.
I thought that "Time Left" was some kind of countdown to when the classified posting expired. I could not find anything that explained the procedure. Thanks.

AND, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Carol H. for some luck with the lotto! Thank you.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #51
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Just a few note's from the "old man" at "Lil Snoozy": We have made numerous evolvements since the intro of the " Lil Snoozy" A lot of it from input from you folks here on FRV. We have a new lighter weight frame (about 100 lbs savings) moved it in a couple of inches and found a black paint that sticks to the galvinizing making the frame nearly invisible, a new lighter weight yet stronger laminate structure for the body, doubled the size of the vertical cabinet's by the sink and increased the over head cabinets to 62" with three doors giving a ton more storage. Added drawers to the cabinets in the entertainment center. Extra or custom cabinets are readily available on request. We will begin posting our new lighter weights and interior cabinets designs when the webdesign company gets us a proof ready. We also have made a new fiberglass molded part that covers the frame out front giving a much cleaner neater look while also giving more outside storage for the generator or other stuff. A new fiberglass molded cover for the air conditioner (Keeps it cleaner, neater looking and keeps dirt dobers etc out of the unit) With the unit being mostly outside no worries of drainage or leaking in the cabin and it's much quieter. New vertical Led tail lights including a stop light over the door. And a lot more is coming with most improvemnets retrofitable to existing "LiL Snoozy's" already out there. And you still don't have to fold this down and move this over to have a queen size bed. We recently had a couple make a 4300 mile maiden voyage with out the first mishap. They were so happy they helped sell one for us when they returned home. Call us or e-mail us if we can help. Again thanks to all for your support.
Tha "LiL Snoozy Team"
Old Man Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #52

Old Man Snoozy: We have owned 7 RVs (3 pop-ups, 1 TT, 1 5th wheel, 1 micro-mini and a class C) and been to a lot of RV shows over the years. Your unit has a high-end look and everything is conveniently located inside. I like the extra stability of the wheels being to the outside, the choice of a cassette toilet, under bed storage, the sofa not facing the kitchen - can't believe how many units do that and when I'm on the sofa, I sure don't want to look at the kitchen! I like the door on the end because to me it seems to give a neater appearance and bigger feeling when you are inside. Never liked sitting on the sofa and having everyone look in the screen door at us. You have many pluses and looks like you are coming up with more.

I am sure we will all enjoy the new photos when they are ready. I get your feed from Facebook. Wishing you much success and thinking you're on the right track! Appreciate your presence here on the forum.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #53
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Thanks Cathy,
We really do appreciate yours and all of the other members comments and suggestions. One thing I forgot to mention for the boodockers out there we had a commercial company design us an 1100 wattt solar system option that will run most everything with in reason. It is automated and the control box stays mounted and hooked up with in the camper. The panel sits out side and adjust toward the sun for maximum reception of the sunlight. It has a simple small wire that just plugs into the panel. And it WORKS! I will post some pictures when I get back to the office.
Old Man Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #54

Florida
1100 watts

We have an 80 watt solar panel, it is 7 square feet in area.

Scaling this up an 1100 watt solar panel, the lil Snoozy's panel would be 13 times as large, 100 square feet or about 7 by 14 feet, rather huge.

It would also require a rather large set of batteries to store a 1000 watts for night time use.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #55

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Me thinks he made a typo error, perhaps a 110 watt panel?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Me thinks he made a typo error, perhaps a 110 watt panel?
See the Lil Snoozy Update thread.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote