Features In A Full-Time Egg - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Features In A Full-Time Egg

So, I decided I like the units from all the manufacturers. I wish I could mix and match features though. I have decided, for me, that the most important features would be the amount of storage space and the windows since the space is small. I eliminated the Lil' Snoozy because top cupboards seemed limited. I know that the cupboards don't hold a lot but it comes down to sort of being like "does 2 feet of extra length make a difference" and when you talking the difference in a unit under 20 foot, I think it most certainly does. Although the 5th wheels are tempting, I think they seem less open than the TTs and my "crawling" days are coming to an end quicker than I had hoped. I like the smooth fiberglass of the Eggcamper but I thought I read a while back that it gathers condensation? I do much better when there is maybe 2 choices. I was thinking that if I do this, people will think I am crazy but then, I realized, they already think that! Over that hurdle! Any input to help me sort "it" out would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Cathy, since this will be a major purchase, the best advice I can give you is to go to a gathering and look at as many brands/models as possible. Absolutely nothing beats a visual inspection and talking to owners. Brochures and salespersons come with agendas and your needs may be different. Too, remember everyone has an opinion and theirs maybe different than your own!

If I was going to purchase new and really didn't have a good feel for what's available, I'd plan a vacation (sans trailer) to go to a gathering and sleep in a tent if necessary!

Although honestly, I don't think you'd go wrong with any brand. It's more about budget and necessary features that would drive my decision.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Full Timers Trailer

I think a full timer's trailer is configured a little different. Storage and organization has a higher priority. We own a 16 foot Scamp and have added 6 drawers, an overhead cabinet above the dinette and an over the couch cabinet. In addition to a myriad of other mods.

When you're taveling for most of the year everything needs a place, as a result you need more places.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #4

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Remember that if you are buying new, some manufacturers will build to your specs. I know that Lil Snoozy has done that and so has Escape.

CindyL
Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
In regards to Egg Camper and condensation, the Egg Camper has two shells, inner and outer separated by reflectix in between. Some other fiberglass trailers have just one shell with carpet inside. All the trailers will have condensation, the carpet just hides it better on those and in the Egg Camper you can see it on the reflectix inside a cabinet, not inside the cabin. You address the issue by opening a vent. All fiberglass trailers except for Escape have single pane windows which will sweat and the condensate will run out thru little seep holes in the window frame. These are the trade offs in the fg vs other brand trailers. I recently went from a fg trailer to another brand for one main reason, which was thermopane windows and better insulation, as I enjoy winter camping.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I,too, found the cabinets small for my needs on the Lil Snoozy. After I retire I will be camping 8 or 9 months out of the year. But, I visited Lil Snoozy and found the owners very willing to work with me on my cabinet/closet needs. Now I have a Lil Snoozy on order with my cabinet concerns eliminated. Also, the storage space under the bed allows for storing large items such as folding chairs, etc. that with other trailer brands I had considered would require me to put those large items inside and have to move them out of our way frequently or carry them on a hitch rack on the rear of the trailer.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #7

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Don't Forget about Parkliner. They have cabinets all the way around and a large Queen bed with storage underneath as well.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #8

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
its a careful balance. The largest rig I full timed in seemed to be the least desirable and comfortable for me.

The complete length of the coach was overhead cabinets. At first, I was wowed by the amount of storage space, but after living in it for a short period of time, those cabinet became an issue. They closed down the perceived space.

When you sit on your couch at home, the next thing above your head is the ceiling. In this coach, the cabinets lower the "Air Space" between you and your head. Felt like sitting in a box.

It was also like living in a 31 ft hallway. The floorspace was only at the center of the coach, long and narrow. Imagine living on an airplane. Even tho the square footage overall was great, the usable "people" space felt cramped.

My 17 foot Burro was great for me, lousy for my pets. The two open spaces at either end were great, but it made for 2 small spaces, not one big one. There was not enuff room for me AND them in either space, so they felt separated. As did I.

The 15 footer I am in now feels very open. The overheads are out of my "Living" space and every part of the trailer can be seen from any vantage point. The center floor space is wide and open, without furniture obstructions breaking it open. The end kitchen makes a HUGE difference.

That said, I bought a 17 footer recently that I hope to make into a better home. The overheads are over the bed only.. they won't cramp my living space. The bathroom is in the corner, out of the way. The sofa is much like I have now, along the curbside wall.

Storage is UNDER things, yet the storage for frequently accessed stuff is where it should be, along a wall.

I am firmly convinced the floorplan, not size, makes the biggest difference.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
You might make a list of the stuff you will carry along. Then when you see any trailer interior (seeing and sitting in and pondering about is a must, there's no substitute), take a good long while to think about where you would put most of it.

What will you tow with? The tow vehicle may also be able to hold many of the things you want to have along.

I agree with Cindy and Bill, don't completely count out the Snoozy yet. They could probably build a whole wall of cabinets in place of the television space, if that's what you want.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
It is really a VERY personal choice of "what is important to YOU"?

For some folks, the choice starts with size (or with weight - which is only the same thing about half the time)

For some it is floorplan/layout

For some it is features/options

For some folks - more talented and capable than I am - ANY unit of a given size is good as they will "gut it" and rebuild, arranging the floor plan to their own likes & dislikes. (if I could do that, I'd buy that Bigfoot 28 footer in Utah in a heartbeat!)

For CPAHARLEY it was the need to have good insulation and double pane windows (like an Escape or a "25 series" Bigfoot as my B/F 21 footer does)

As Donna D said - go to a rally or two, inspect them, look at them, imagine yourself in it, and let your instincts guide you.

As Gina D said - don't get trapped into thinking that bigger is necessarily better, but remember that it also has to be BIG ENOUGH, too!

Defining what is a "good" Floorplan and "necessary" features (vs "might be nice to have as well features" is very personal.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #11

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Cathy, I apologize for the vanity post, but I just blogged about storage in our Casita and photographed every single cupboard showing how we use it.

With me, storage space was more about how I use what I have than having a lot of empty spaces to fill.

And the big windows in the Casita are awesome!

It might not be your cup of tea, but seeing how the space is used might give you some ideas you can use.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cathy,

One of the best things we did before we picked up our Scamp was to attend a 50 egg rally, we've now been to two and seen over 100 fiberglass trailers.

It was interesting to see the different brands; it was more interesting to see what a 100 people had done with their rigs. I left the rallies with a list of potential mods that have not yet been fully confronted.

Everyone has different needs and different solutions. It's great to see others solutions. In a sense it increases choices and reduces guessing. Much better than reading brochures.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #13

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Cathy, I apologize for the vanity post, but I just blogged about storage in our Casita and photographed every single cupboard showing how we use it.

With me, storage space was more about how I use what I have than having a lot of empty spaces to fill.

And the big windows in the Casita are awesome!

It might not be your cup of tea, but seeing how the space is used might give you some ideas you can use.
The photos were great and really did show how much storage space is available. We had a 24 foot stick built and then moved into what seemed like a huge 31 foot stick built 5th wheel and the 24 foot had so much more storage space. It had a super slide and I have an obsession with "balance" and it just disturbed me with the one side uneven! Great photos, thank you.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #14

Kansas
Thank you to everyone for your wonderful posts! All the rallies remotely in our area are in the fall. I can start plotting out my "master" plan now and taking into account all the thoughts here. My son likes to stand over my shoulder when I look at campers and I asked, holding my breath, "Do you want to live in the camper or in an apartment?" He said "Apartment." Another hurdle cleared.