Free Books - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #29

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
But Mike, you got it... think like a kid!!! And, you made a couple of memories along the way

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Yeah, I know. It seems like a pretty nice, useful device and I'm enjoying it. But one of the "memories" I made along the way is, "Don't do that again!"

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #31

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Yeah, I know. It seems like a pretty nice, useful device and I'm enjoying it. But one of the "memories" I made along the way is, "Don't do that again!" <_<

Now you can take your wife out for dinner with savings.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Seems a lot of people may have been confused at Target...
My husband got up at 6 ( I don't do Black Friday... Thursday is a long, long day for me with hosting the family and friends dinner), and our closest Target still had the Kindle Keyboard at 6:45, in the electronics department.
He went back several hours later, to the next closest, and got another for a friend.
We were shocked. We almost never get anything for real deals on Black Friday, except flashlights and tools....
Sherry
Old 11-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #33

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I am glad you got it but also glad I wasn't tempted to do any deals! Not a lot of opportunity here and if you add time and ferry fare and gas going across to shop isn't worthwhile.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #34

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
Seems a lot of people may have been confused at Target...
My husband got up at 6 ( I don't do Black Friday... Thursday is a long, long day for me with hosting the family and friends dinner), and our closest Target still had the Kindle Keyboard at 6:45, in the electronics department.
He went back several hours later, to the next closest, and got another for a friend.
We were shocked. We almost never get anything for real deals on Black Friday, except flashlights and tools....
Sherry
I might have gone in the next morning too, if the inventory check had merely said "available" as most items would. But it said "limited availability" for every store in our metro area. I guess now that my legs and foot feel better and I've been enjoying a novel on the Kindle all day, I'm pretty happy to have it. I downloaded a dozen books already and have paid less than $8 for them ($5.99 was for the NIV Bible, but most were public domain freebies).

I found that I get immersed in the story the same way whether reading on paper or Kindle screen. But the Kindle is more convenient; I have a cushioned lap tray and on that is one of those little coated-wire book stands that you sometimes see holding books up for display. This stand holds the Kindle easily and I only have to touch it when turning a page (clicking the side control).

Comparing the two: if anything, it's easier to see the Kindle page than a paper page. No curving of the paper at the spine so it stays flat and reflects the light more uniformly. And whereas a book's font may be a bit small, the Kindle's font is adjustable if desired, as are the word and line spacing.

I will have to try a free trial subscription to our metro newspaper. Kindle subscription is far less expensive than the thrown papers (and will never arrive wet). The only problems I see are that the reviews for our paper's e-formatting are poor; it seems they make navigation very cumbersome and are not up to speed in that regard compared to some other newspapers. And I doubt we would still have access to sale flyers and such; I need to watch the office supply stores' flyers for sale pricing on copy paper, which I use by the case in my business.

I'm glad these devices have gotten (what I consider) affordable. They are fun and convenient!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #35

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I guess I'm a throwback. I still like "real" books. A friend lent me his reader. I thought it was ok. But I saw so few freebies on his list and I like mysteries, it didn't look like it would satisfy me. When we visit our son in Indianapolis, I go to the Half Price Bookstore and stock up on $1.00 paperbacks. Later I go back and trade them in for credit toward more.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #36

Oklahoma
I know what you mean, I've been working my way thru the entire collection of Louis L'Amour westerns, all from the used bookstore. Still the way to go for those, pricewise.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #37

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I just previewed what I saw as the textbook of the future that I was introduced to at a conference last week. It would not work on paper, that is for sure; I was using an iPad. Videos, animation, pop-up text.

CindyL
Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #38

Washington
Registry
Cindy, that is what I have been telling textbook sales people for several years..the e textbook has to do that, and have hyperlinks from everything to everything. The one I am using this spring does some of it, it allows me to personalize the e text for everyone in the class, such as putting notes like, memorize this! At appropriate places.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #39

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Bobby,

If you PM me, I can give you some resources I collected at a couple of conferences this month. One is an app that is for writing just that kind of textbook; another is how to use some free software and iBook to create multimedia books.

CindyL
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #40

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
I read the intro and instructions, and tried out the new "Christmas" Kindle. Have to say, I love it.
It's very light, very easy to read. I downloaded 12 books in about 20 minutes, at no charge. (Only read one so far, and parts of others. When I click on the book in the home page, I'm immediately taken to where I left off on the others. I tend to read several books at once.... on different topics.

I haven't tried it on the local library interface yet, but I'm sure it will be fine. Our library is great, and very technologically advanced. Should work well.

I searched "free books" in the search line, and came up with over 42,000 download possibilities, just from Amazon... that alone will keep me busy while camping.

The 3g works for email and google, but is really, really clunky (not so awfully slow, but clunky) on the 3g keyboard. OK for an absolute emergency, but I'll stay with my laptop and wireless card, thank you.

Overall, I'm totally excited to be able to carry many, many books in the trailer, with less than the weight of one. Awesome.

Sherry
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #41

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
I read the intro and instructions, and tried out the new "Christmas" Kindle. Have to say, I love it.
It's very light, very easy to read. I downloaded 12 books in about 20 minutes, at no charge. (Only read one so far, and parts of others. When I click on the book in the home page, I'm immediately taken to where I left off on the others. I tend to read several books at once.... on different topics.

I haven't tried it on the local library interface yet, but I'm sure it will be fine. Our library is great, and very technologically advanced. Should work well.

I searched "free books" in the search line, and came up with over 42,000 download possibilities, just from Amazon... that alone will keep me busy while camping.

The 3g works for email and google, but is really, really clunky (not so awfully slow, but clunky) on the 3g keyboard. OK for an absolute emergency, but I'll stay with my laptop and wireless card, thank you.

Overall, I'm totally excited to be able to carry many, many books in the trailer, with less than the weight of one. Awesome.

Sherry
If you really want to go nuts on free books check this out Project Gutenberg - free ebooks

Have fun.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #42

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Bobby,

If you PM me, I can give you some resources I collected at a couple of conferences this month. One is an app that is for writing just that kind of textbook; another is how to use some free software and iBook to create multimedia books.

CindyL
At the moment I can't get PM to work but I am interested. I don't plan to write a textbook, though.