Free Wi-Fi locations by state and city - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Free Wi-Fi locations by state and city

Ran across this site that has a huge listing of businesses, libraries, etc. that provide free Wi-Fi service throughout the country, and then some. It required printing 29 pages just for the sites in Colorado.

free wi-fi hotspots wifi cafes coffee shops hotels airports RV Parks

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I don't plan trips around WIFI hotspots; just stop at a McDonalds for coffee. Can't imagine hauling around 29 pages for one state!

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Besides, there are free apps that will search for WiFi hotspots that are near you.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #4

Name: Gwendolyn
California
I keep a blog so my family and friends know how I'm doing. Unfortunately Verizon isn't everywhere and I'm always glad to directories saved to my hard drive for use. I too have a WIFI finder app - all it needs is the internet and if my Verizon isn't working I'm lost.

I would suggest copying the files to a word document for use rather than printing the whole document out.

I actually like Libraries!!!
CA Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #5

Registry
There's a lot more free Wi-fi than on that list. As was reported earlier almost all Mcdonalds have free wi-fi. Almost all libraries have free wi-fi. Many National Parks concessionaires provide free wi-fi.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thank you Jim, that is very helpful.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #7

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Thank you II

Yes, thank you, Jim, for sharing this info; very kind of you. Although I'm not traveling right now, all the info I can add to my arsenal of tips is always a good thing.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
So you don't plan trips around WI-FI hot spots, but you locate McDonalds to get WI-FI hot spots. OK, got it!

I also carry a 600-page Free Campgrounds Guide, 250-page guide to free dump sites, travel guides and road maps for exploring new areas. I can't imagine buying a camper and then hanging around a McDonalds.

So you need a signal to see if you have a strong enough signal to download an app to find a signal! How does that work when there is no signal? Oh, that's right, just drive until you find a McDonalds!

-- What happens to the app when the signal is gone?
Jim
Old 12-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #9

You download the wifi finder app at home where you have a signal. Then, wherever you are the phone will search for wifi signals, indicate where they are, how strong the signal is and if they are open wifi.
As for dump sites, I use the app Sanidumps.com
If there is a dump site nearby, there is likely an open WiFi. Sanidumps tells you if there is a fee or free, hours of operation and even what direction to approach the dump from.
You can probably even get an app to help you find where in the trailer your 600-page campgrounds guide is.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Glenn,

Now that is some useful information regarding smart phone useage if I ever get one. Right now mine is not only not smart, it is such an underacheiver I had to enroll it in a special ed. program. I know how to send and receive calls, that's it, and outlawing texting while driving was wasted on me.

Unless I will be on the road for a while, there is no computer, the cell stays in the console for emergencies, no DVD, ipad, Kindle or much of anything at all, just camping-related reference materials, books, magazines and drawing materials.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #11

Don't need any chargers either...
Old 12-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
WI-FI, computers, iPads, smart phones and texting??? No use for such techno-crap at my camping spots.....Canoe, Kayak and campfire does it all!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would store that list as an electronic document, could be on the phone, laptop or a tablet. If nothing else making it searchable would be a benefit.

My laptop is our DVD player and audio entertainment device. It's how we view and edit pictures we have taken etc. If my wife can connect to Facebook with her phone from time to time that is all the internet we need. Driving someplace for phone signal or for free Wi-Fi is probably not generally going to be worth it for us, but if we did a searchable list would be nice.

If we can't recall the other movie that an actor in the DVD was in we do what we did pre-Google. Blurt out the title 2 hours after the movie ends when it suddenly comes to us ;-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #14

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
I'm holding out for the app that makes dinner, cleans up afterward, does the laundry, vacuums the floor, washes the windows, & shares its winning lottery $$ with me. THAT'S when I'll get a smart phone.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Hmm, methinks a 600 page manual could be more useful than a smart phone. Easier to crumple and use for a fire starter.........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #16

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
You could also use it to crumple up and add insulation where needed!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #17

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I don't plan trips around WIFI hotspots; just stop at a McDonalds for coffee. Can't imagine hauling around 29 pages for one state!

Charlie Y
Ha Ha good one. Of course you wouldn't haul around a paper copy, you'd just download this link.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
I'm holding out for the app that makes dinner, cleans up afterward, does the laundry, vacuums the floor, washes the windows, & shares its winning lottery $$ with me. THAT'S when I'll get a smart phone.

Yep. I used to think and say the same thing. Then I got a smart phone. Now, I would give up my desktop and laptop computers before I would surrender my smart phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Hmm, methinks a 600 page manual could be more useful than a smart phone. Easier to crumple and use for a fire starter.........

Good one, Charlie. If I can't find a WiFi hot spot and I feel a need to use the laptop, I just turn on my iPhone's personal hotspot.
How many fires do you think you could start with 600 pages?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #19

Registry
I've never had any trouble finding a wi-fi hot spot when desired. We started camping and backpack 50 years ago to get away from telephones. Some 30 years ago I started carrying a cell phone in the bottom of my backpack, turned in on once when for forest filled with smoke from a forest fire. I've used computers since the early 60s. We still camp to be disconnected. I don't want a phone ringing while I"m watching the water roll over the rocks. Smart phones are another way to stay connected if you desire. I don't want to be connected all the time, hence no smart phone, and turn off cell phone when leaving home, connect with the computer every few weeks when we're away from home.

I lived and breathed technology for most of my life, and there's a time to let it go. That's one of real joys of retirement. I don't have to deal with technology unless I want to.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #20

Colorado
Registry
Huh, I am offended, offended I tell you!

Say what you will, but I like planning and certainly never leave home without the 600-page Free Camping guide. It’s essential for finding low-cost or free spots that other recreational maps and guides have never thought of showing or have a clue that they even exist, especially in remote areas.

You can probably download much of that same information on your apps, but it’s not nearly as much fun as reviewing published trip and camping guides. Might just as well download some photos of various campsites and a Scamp trailer and call it a “virtual” outing, or could just as well have set up camp in their driveway! This is the same bunch who in a restaurant among any three people at a table, at lease two of them will be glued to their “smart phone”.

Besides, looking at all the options and planning where to stay for a short or longer time is very much like poring over the Sears and Wards Christmas catalogues for hours when a kid. You experience the trip twice.

Me and my IQ-challenged cell phone do just fine with or without a signal.