Full-Time RVers Are Blocked From Voting - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Well, there are some interesting things about voting, from what I have read. First, in the beginning, ONLY male property owners could vote, but that had NO racial restrictions (which is a basis for folks seeming to need property to be registered), but those conditions have been modified by later amendments and laws.

Second, and I'm not certain about this, but some of the basic voting rights may be federal and others state. For example, some states have a timed residency requirement before being eligible to vote, so if one moves at the wrong time of year, one may not be eligible to vote, even in a federal election, unless perhaps special arrangements are made. As I recall it, when my ex-wife moved from Florida to another state, after consulting with both states, she absentee-voted in FL but had to promise not to vote for state and local candidates.

As to which particular issues and candidates are valid (If I am claiming domicile in a state but hardly ever there, I am still affected by many state issues like taxation, voting rights, vehicle registration, and representation in both state and federal government. And even perhaps in local government, as the folks in Livingston TX found out when their right to register to vote was challenged.

I strongly suspect that when enough FullTimers are affected by voting restrictions, they will band together and work on it, just as some groups have taken up the banner for homeless voting rights. Since the states control the registration process, and there are a lot of them, the voting rights for FTs efforts will have to be case by case.

BTW, I believe the Florida double-vote problem is more likely linked to condo owners rather than FTs because they are the ones with more vested interests in local governments.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Laws are made and created for basically two reasons. One to stop abuse of a situation that a "normal" person would not even consider doing and two, to establish rules of conduct and provide a method of punishment for those who choose to not follow the law.

In Oregon, for over 100 years there wasn't a timed residency requirement. THEN, in a small town in eastern Oregon (54 residents) a cult moved in and bought property (the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and Rajneeshpuram). In an effort to take control of the county government, the Bhagwan's minions was found to be busing in transient-type people from all over the state. In some cases, it was found to be a bribe to vote (free meal for a vote... hey, these were mostly street people). Wasco county and the city of Antelope government was turned upside down.

Shortly thereafter, all of Oregon now has a 20 day residency requirement.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Excellent point.

I haven't thought about the "Bog Wan"... in years!

Rolls Royce, anyone?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #18

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Just saw this today.
http://www.fulltimerver.com/blog/2007/11/n...ts-for-new.html
Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #19

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What about these "Re-Mail" places? Do they have an actual address that you can use?

How do people get the Florida and Texas addresses so they can claim residency and get drivers license a license plates?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
How do people get the Florida and Texas addresses so they can claim residency and get drivers license a license plates?
In the case of Texas, people join Escapees, then drive down to Livingston, TX. It is my understanding, you need to live there at least two weeks in your RV. While you are there, you take a driving test, license your truck and RV and you are good to go. You are now a Texan. Escapees has a great mailing service for their members. Your new Domicile is Livingston, Texas.

Now if you earn money in another state, you may loose your Texas residency and be required to establish a new Domicile in the state you earned the money. This happens when people work as camp hosts in Oregon, and other states.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
What about these "Re-Mail" places? Do they have an actual address that you can use?
I have a friend who operates a Mail Forwarding service, as part of her private mail/shipping business.
Her store has a street address. Your "P.O. Box" is called a "suite" or "apt" with a number.

That way, your mailing address becomes:

Your Name
(Her Store's Street Address), Apt. #(your box number)
City, State, zip code
Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Relatively new postal laws prohibit mail services from using "suite" or "apt" or any other description implying a physical address. Reportedly this is because too many scam artists were operating from such addresses and then couldn't be tracked down (a case of legitimate box holders suffering the consequences of criminal deeds by others...). The box number now has to be in the format "Private Mail Box" or "PMB". Some of the old form addresses still exist where the local USPS Postmaster hasn't refused to deliver mail so addressed.

Postal laws require the mail service to obtain a physical address, but that might just be something like a campground. Problem with a temporary address is that the state driver's license laws usually require notification of address change within 10-30 days or something like that. Interestingly, an actual Post Office box cannot be obtained without a "verifiable local address".

"Now if you earn money in another state, you may loose your Texas residency and be required to establish a new Domicile in the state you earned the money. This happens when people work as camp hosts in Oregon, and other states."

The above is not entirely correct -- If you earn money in a state, you must pay taxes in that state, and if you meet a 'physical presence' test, the state can consider you a resident for tax purposes on ALL your income (I know Calif and Utah have these provisions), but a person is never forced to domicile in another state. It seems that there is a basic right for each of us to declare a domicile, but it is possible to mess that up by seeming to claim domicile in more than one state.

The word residency has different meanings even in the same state and is used in context, like Fishing, Education, taxes, etc.

It can be a real mess in the US if one is a FullTimer or a traveling worker (software contractor, welder, etc.).