Full-timers are not allowed to "camp" in US Forest Service Campgrounds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Frederick,
I suggested PO box merely as an address, one normally does not expect to receive mail there nor expect mail forwarding, they just need an address for license and other registration. If the state allows it, then I'd get one. I would never have anything shipped there as I'm not there. But this leads to another question, how does one apply for and receive a credit card while living in never never land. One can pay their bills and set up direct deposit banking on line but credit cards are normally mailed at renewal time?? One's address may change several times over the life of a credit card.
Jim,
You can have credit cards mailed to any address you want. Last winter while traveling credit cards were mailed to us, but USPS wouldn't forward them to my daughter's address with the rest of the mail. (I had a temporary forwarding). We simply called the credit card company and they mailed them to my daughter, who then mailed them along with other mail to General Delivery where we were located all in one box.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Good old "General Delivery" works every time.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We went full timing in April and wanted our domicile to continue in Fl. We were lucky enough to find a mail service right in Sarasota where we lived for the past 12 years that supplies a physical street address as well as a post office box. We have our mail shipped to us once a month and it is usually something on the idea of birthday cards or magazine subscriptions etc. we pay our bills online, we vote absentee ballot which we have done for a couple of years anyway, and so on. We camp host occasionally in state parks and we we have not so far been refused to have delivery of pkgs to their address. Like the many of the opinions we don't see a problem with the feds over staying at their facilities within their timeframe.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #24

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Being the devil's advocate here: I can see the fed argument. As a weekend camper, it's frustrating not to be able to find a campsite. Retirees should have a right to use campgrounds- but not to monopolize them. I think there should be a limit of time that could be reserved in some popular campgrounds and then after that, they should have to take what's available.

Obviously, though, this wouldn't apply to less popular areas. But it would be easy for them to identify campgrounds that qualified as high demand, and limit any person to at most, say, eight weekends in such campgrounds during a given calendar year. (Which is a lot.) From my point of view, trying to get a campsite, it doesn't make much difference that couple A left after two weeks and couple B took their place- I still can't find a site.

The residency question results from our stupid system of state governents vs. federal government. Everyone is allowed to go everywhere so why have different laws in different states? I could resent that someone can take their income from a non-income tax state and spend time in California (using our tax-supported facilities) without becoming a California resident. So I think if a fulltimer spends more than, say, 25% of their time in any one state, the state in which they spend the most time should have to be their state of residence.

Or... there could simply be a US residence ID available- for someone who spends less than 3 months in any state, they could just have a general US residence and drivers license.

Otherwise, what really IS the difference between an out-of-work person camping on federal lands because he can't afford rent and a fulltimer?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #25

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Wasn't there this guy who built a very nice tree house on federal land and was living there free? How do you get away with that? Rangers also do not like mountain bikers making trails.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #26

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Being the devil's advocate here: I can see the fed argument. As a weekend camper, it's frustrating not to be able to find a campsite. Retirees should have a right to use campgrounds- but not to monopolize them. I think there should be a limit of time that could be reserved in some popular campgrounds and then after that, they should have to take what's available.

Obviously, though, this wouldn't apply to less popular areas. But it would be easy for them to identify campgrounds that qualified as high demand, and limit any person to at most, say, eight weekends in such campgrounds during a given calendar year. (Which is a lot.) From my point of view, trying to get a campsite, it doesn't make much difference that couple A left after two weeks and couple B took their place- I still can't find a site.

The residency question results from our stupid system of state governents vs. federal government. Everyone is allowed to go everywhere so why have different laws in different states? I could resent that someone can take their income from a non-income tax state and spend time in California (using our tax-supported facilities) without becoming a California resident. So I think if a fulltimer spends more than, say, 25% of their time in any one state, the state in which they spend the most time should have to be their state of residence.

Or... there could simply be a US residence ID available- for someone who spends less than 3 months in any state, they could just have a general US residence and drivers license.

Otherwise, what really IS the difference between an out-of-work person camping on federal lands because he can't afford rent and a fulltimer?
Bobbie, if it will make you feel better we spend between 6&7 months in Florida where we have our domicile so I hope that we qualify for doing the right thing, even full timers can't find a site now and then but in our case I have nobody to blame but ourselves. you have to always have a plan B and sometimes we all tend to forget that. so far every state park which we use mostly leave a certain percentage of sites for walk ins, but you must have heard the old saying that "it is the early bird gets the worm"
Old 07-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'm not quite sure what the issue is here. If you have a drivers license with an address on it and only stay the alloted time. What's the difference between me who lives in an actual house and a full timer.

If either of us were asked for identification, we'd both show our drivers licenses with actual street addresses on them. So we look the same. Maybe fulltimers should not advertise that they are full timers.

I also think there aren't many people who would think anyone would full time in any of our small little trailers. So don't advertize it.

Having said that: With all the Government data gathering it's possible that in the future a Ranger might only need to put your address into his I Phone to find out whether your address is an actual house or not.

Right now I would worry about it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #28

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I'm not quite sure what the issue is here.
The issue, according to the Threadtitle, is that someone thinks that, and here I quote,
" Fulltimers are not allowed to "camp" in Forest Service Campgrounds".

This is simply untrue.

Anyone can camp in Forest Service Campgrounds and/or Forest Service lands if/where open to such uses. No one is permitted to stay beyond established time limits unless by specific permission. This is hardly new, or "news"; nor is the policy limited to Forest Service lands/campgrounds. Every agency with jurisdiction over Public Lands whether Local, State, or National- has some similar policy.

Much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When I read the OP and other internet conversations about the report from the OP two things come to light.
1) The offending party had overstayed the 14 day limit imposed by the forest supervisor.
2) They either gave a ranger a bad time when he indicated such, or the ranger was a bit over zealous. From reading my bet is a combination of giving the ranger a bad time, which resulted in the ranger writing a ticked.

Not to worry. Behave and follow the rules. Remember some rules as written are intended as a tool to combat bad behavior, not necessarily across the board enforcement.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #30

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Actual Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I'm not quite sure what the issue is here. If you have a drivers license with an address on it and only stay the alloted time. What's the difference between me who lives in an actual house and a full timer.

If either of us were asked for identification, we'd both show our drivers licenses with actual street addresses on them. So we look the same. Maybe fulltimers should not advertise that they are full timers.

I also think there aren't many people who would think anyone would full time in any of our small little trailers. So don't advertize it.

Having said that: With all the Government data gathering it's possible that in the future a Ranger might only need to put your address into his I Phone to find out whether your address is an actual house or not.

Right now I would worry about it.
TeeHee: He already can, the postal service has a "Valid Address Checker" that can be accesssed by bulk mailers and others.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #31

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
My wife and i regularly camp in FS/BLM lands, but typically Monday-Friday only. We've only had enjoyable conversations & visits from the Rangers. Mostly asking about our rig(s) and such. They do ask where we are from at which point we say we are visiting from our home on the Oregon Coast and leave it at that.

I did just post over at that blog site (i've been a follower for some time):

Quote:
I’ve lived in Oregon since 1986. Since 2011 my wife and i have lived full time in a 5th wheel on the oregon coast. We still work in the local community…but i asked the DMV an honest question one visit, and they were quite helpful, and i thought accommodating. There is a clause in the OR DMV that states the following:

“(6) An applicant who travels continuously may use a residence address of “continuous traveler.” The applicant must prove that he or she is a resident or domiciled in Oregon pursuant to OAR 735-016-0040. In addition to the use of “continuous traveler,” the applicant must also provide a mailing address.”

My delima was i wanted to be honest for the sake of DMV being able to always contact me via how they always had in the past…by mail. I told them my wife and i might move from RV park to park on the coast. They told me to bring proof of my mailing address (the local UPS mail forwarding store) and my birth cert. Now both our ORDL read “Continuous Traveler” above our mailing address. It is also the address i use on all federal forms such as tax returns. I have no idea how any ranger would take all that, but it is legal for the OR Gov and the Feds on my tax return.

OH, and for myself and wife? Every ranger and peace officer we’ve met has been kind and respectful, i expect nothing less from any future contact…as i respect and appreciate them too.

Happy Trails,
Thom
I do get upset at those who trash the parks/forest. They need to respect the land more than they do or move on. I believe in enforcing the 14 day limit. In some areas in Oregon it is obvious that the peeps using a camp are near-homesteading and that can ruin it for others IMO.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote