Full timin' storage... what do you do? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
When I was fulltiming I carried all my papers with me scanned into my PC and back up to disk, occasionally mailing a disk to family. You MUST carry titles with you in case you need to trade vehicles. I only kept a few things in a safe deposit box and it turned out to be a real pain when a company wanted to get back the original certificates when merging -- I had to fill out papers and send the key to a friend back in FL to open it for me.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #16

Name: Sebastian
Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
NM AZ & UT
Iím glad that you are going for it. Good for you. I wish there were more fulltimers in small fiberglass RVs so we could have a forum to share our ideas and stories. One is not going to have the same perspective if merely going out for a monthís road trip.

Get a few ideas on storage and whatever, but you will get a lot more out of figuring it out on your own. Itís really not that difficult. What works for some one else wonít necessarily work for you. You would probably look at how my stuff is stored and say, no way would that work for me. But itís exactly how I want it for me. Different strokes. All the items I need for a year are with me. Consider having a custom rack fabricated for the top of your tow vehicle for bulky, light stuff. Out of season clothing is stored in the tow vehicle. Seasonal clothing is in the trailer. Measured what space there is in the back of the SUV with the seat folded down, go to Wal-Mart, purchase a few tubs, and stack them back there. Pack light, get rid of your nice glass jars, measuring cup, etc. and go plastic. I know, no panache, but, lightweight. Try to choose items that can be used for multiple purposes. There are some good hiding places in your vehicle and trailer for important papers and a flash drive. Choose a couple that require a tool to access them. Even when you get down to the absolute minimum, you will find out over the first few months that you have packed WAY too much. My first year I found myself stopping at thrift shops along the way and dropping things off. After you have everything packed be sure to go through all your closets and tubs both in the trailer and in your tow vehicle a few times in the first couple of weeks. You will be getting rid of SO much stuff when downsizing that you will forget exactly what you have kept and packed, as well as, be wondering where the heck you put a particular item. That can be a whole lot of fun. If I remember right, there are some other storage ideas on my February 2008 (the lifestyle) blog posting. If you are going to spend most of your time with hookups and have a lot of people around, itís really no big thing, somewhat like living in a tiny studio apartment. Downsizing definitely takes some planning but itís nowhere near as overwhelming as some appear to think. Most of us can think of times in their life that were much more stressful and chaotic than downsizing from a house to a small trailer. I have been full timing in a 17í trailer for a couple years now and am going into my third winter. Having, ďbeen there, done thatĒ and still doing it, my perspective will probably be different from most. After you start fulltiming in a small RV, you might find that it was all easier than you had anticipated. Not surprising since one is simplifying oneís life in a big way (that does not quite sound right but it got me chuckling). Remember to stay amused. Without a sense of humor, forget it. And doing it in a tiny RV will definitely add more spice and adventure into your life. Hit the secondary roads and follow the roads less traveled. It can be a hoot.

http://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Hit the secondary roads and follow the roads less traveled. It can be a hoot.
Good advice! Especially the plastic tubs. I fulltimed in a Jayco 16' for three years and then my Scamp 13' for six years, with a canopy on my pickup truck for extra storage and my kayak on top.

Following the roads less graveled....

The Journey IS the Destination!

If you don't care where you are going, you can't be lost and if you don't care when you get there, you won't be late.

"If you don't know where you are going, then any road will get you there", said the Cheshire Cat to Alice
Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe sold it 2011
WoW!!

In our 17 ft Casita we have under bed storage units, two big ones (Mel and Mine) and three little bins tied together (underwear, socks, etc). All the little areas in the casita are used, back upper area - electronics, side areas are all full. Food in the lower areas.

In our Astro van we have additional bins, the big plastic ones - one for extra clothing, two for Melanie's art supplies, one for cooking/outdoor kitchen stuff, one for ??? Plus the cats stuff, plus our Weber and Coleman two burner cook top, plus a bin for some food...

Plus a Pahe Que 10x12 screen house
10x10 First up sun thing.

My I think i should really check out what we have.

We have a large storage unit where we keep the stuff we will need when we return to a house. maybe next September (if we can buy). This includes family photos, furniture, winter stuff, tools, etc. The things we want to have later and are willing to pay to keep.

We would get rid of that stuff if we did not intend to stop fulltiming in a year of so.

Our combined weight is always 6-10% below the max we are rated for. We weigh often and have found the need to get rid of stuff because we gained too much weight.

Joseph and Melanie

We
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
I'm in a 17 SD, and found that keeping the weight down was
harder than finding space.
I have 5 storage containers in the back of the pickup that
I use for tools and seasonal stuff.
An extra quilt can be stored under the mattress.
Buying storage boxes; measure the place where the box will go,
then get the largest box that will fit. Then decide what will go
in which box.
In the hanging closet I have cloth hanging shelves, most clothes
are folded and stored on the shelves. In the bottom of that
closet is a portable file storage. It has all my important papers.
Was hard deciding what to keep.
I use the storage above the stove for light food items, bread,
crackers, cookies, cereal, etc.
The storage under one of the seats for heavy food, canned
goods, dried beans, etc.

Under the sink is pots and pans, coffee and sugar, cleaning
supplies.

Living in my Casita full time has been an interesting experiment
and fun.

DrifterDan

Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe sold it 2011
Hi Dan,

we have the same stuff in most of the same places except there is a hanging shoe thing next to the hanging shelves in our closet. WE put our dishes, bowls, etc above the sink but like you the heavy food is under the seat.

When we are in one place for more than a month and if we can, we set up the screen house, like in this photo, so we can unload the van. Otherwise we have to drive around with all that weight.

We were in San Marcos for the winter of 05/06. Thought we would be back, but i got this job in SC so here we saty. may come down to visit friends in Seguin, love the Hill Country.

Oh yeah, we also copied our CD's, a few hundred of them, on to a portable hard drive and play them through our computer. Need the music on the road.

Joseph and Melanie

Click image for larger version

Name:	mel_and_joe_campground_hosts.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	17030
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #21

Name: Pamela
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Leslie and Dave,
Do you have any photos of your setup? Do you have a couch or a mini-dinette setup in the front of your Scamp? Are you able to cook inside if the weather is bad? (Rainy or chilly?) I'm assuming you cook outside as much as possible, maybe with an awning or screen room. Also, how big is your dog?
Lots of questions, but we're hoping to do the same thing eventually. (Got to get an egg, first.)
Old 04-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Pamela! We don't seem to take many pics of our site when we're set up, but we'll try to answer your questions.

Our Scamp 13 has the sofa/bunks in the front, which we are keeping for our grandsons when they are old enough to join us on camping trips. Since the rear dinette is a full-time bed, we use 1 or 2 small folding tables while sitting on the couch; tables also double as laptop 'desks'.

I cook outside about half the time - especially stuff whose 'aromas' we don't want in the trailer! When using the trailer cooktop, I put a large plastic cutting board up as a backsplash to protect the 'rat fur' from getting soiled and/or smelly. This has worked well so far but I've bookmarked an earlier posting from Donna D about some flexible material that looks like 'diamond plate' and would like to install that behind the entire counter.

We don't have an awning - one of those 'someday' items. If it is hot, we follow the shade of on-site trees or else stay in the shadow of the Egg. When we boondock, we set up a 4x4 ft. "privacy cabana" as our shower room and use a Coleman battery-operated pump - works amazingly well, not too heavy and stows in a small space. Note: the frame of our cabana will not support the weight of a 'solar shower' bag - we put the pump in a large pan of water warmed on the stove.

Da Dog - Minnie, our little Dachuahua, weighs between 15 & 16 pounds, depending on how many other campers bring her Milk Bones! She's the perfect size to travel in a FGRV! In fact, she seems to think our Scamp is an over-sized crate in which WE are allowed to sleep!

We wish you happy hunting in your search for the Egg just-right-for-you. You won't regret you choice of a FGRV. Take care, L 'n D

Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #23

Name: Pamela
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Quote:
Da Dog - Minnie, our little Dachuahua, weighs between 15 & 16 pounds, depending on how many other campers bring her Milk Bones! She's the perfect size to travel in a FGRV! In fact, she seems to think our Scamp is an over-sized crate in which WE are allowed to sleep!
Our dog is an Italian Greyhound, between 11 and 12 lbs., just the right size for an egg. We've got a small "sticky" right now and really want to get an egg and eventually full-time, or at least half-time! Anyway, Isabella treats our camper the same way. She graciously allows us to share it with her, as long as we bring lots of treats and her favorite soft blanket.

Thanks so much for the information. It all helps. I'm keeping a file of helpful links and products. Hoping to get a project egg and fix it up ourselves a little at a time. Probably ten years or so before we'll be able to retire so I figure that should be plenty of time to get a refurb done.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita
I always take my 'storage space' with me ... it's also my workshop, tool shed, pantry, library, dog house, solar panel support, and guest bedroom ... I carry very little, in the Casita, itself ...
Attached Thumbnails
new_tilt_panel_setup_dec_2008.jpg