Full-Timing Discussion at Rally - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most full timers we have met live in a motor home and tow a car behind, or have a 5th wheel camper. Did meet a single lady full timing in a small motor home, no car, one dog. Every time she had to go to the store or somewhere it was disconnect the water, electric, and sewer to drive the motor home. Find a lot of retired people traveling with dogs, but we no longer have any. Too restrictive for what we do.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
George has a good idea with the family room tent if you are going to be in a small camper. We have a 12 X 12 that is a screen room with attached flaps to close it in. Since we spend most of the winter in one location it becomes our living room / dining room. In it we have a heater, TV, the campground picnic table, dorm fridge, folding storage table coffee pot, toaster, microwave, and two comfortable chairs. Works good for us.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #17

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We traveled extensively with a pop-up when our kids were younger and living at home.

We also saw the motor home folks, without a separate towed car, who rarely left the campground. Rather than having a fuel-guzzler motorhome towing a car, I decided it
would probably be better to have a more efficient tow vehicle towing a small travel trailer.

We now have friends who tow a larger "sticky" (stick-built trailer). They said that (with
fuel efficiency of around 8 mpg), for trips over 150-200 miles, fuel expenses simply
made it more economical to "motel it".

Fairly aerodynamic FGRVs are often light enough to be towed by a more "fuel efficient"
tow vehicle that can also double as an "everyday driver".

For extensive retirement travel around the country, although it may require learning to
pack a little smaller and lighter, I think an FGRV might be a fairly good choice.

Rather than purchase an awning ($900) for our Scamp, we opted
for a CLAM 1660 Mag Screen tent and wind/privacy panels (~$310)
to provide some bug free outdoor living space.

See Outdoor "room"
Outdoor "room"

Clam Six Pack Screen Tent Video...The others don't compare.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:16 PM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel P View Post
For six months we have been planning to retire and full time RV. We put our house on the market thinking it would take a while and we still had plenty of time to plan. Well it sold in one day and we are closing in a month! This is great except that we now have to make a housing decision in a hurry! We want to stay small and are thinking a fiberglass travel trailer. I visited the Scamp factory and liked them. We have friends selling a large popup trailer and we are considering just taking that on the road for a while until we are more clear about what we want for long term use. Neither of us have ever done anything like this before. We have two small dogs who will be traveling with us. We are registered for the RV-Dreams rally next month. Any thoughts on whether it makes sense to explore for a while with a pop-up or would that be an unfair trial for full-timing? Should we just dive in and buy something before we are sure what we want? Any advice will be appreciated!
Hi, Rachel,
There must be someone somewhere fulltiming in a pop-up but not advised as even temporary because you will certainly need something else. You might join the fulltimers group, Escapees, and look at their forum which has anything and everything you could possibly need to know. Of course, they all use very large fifth-wheelers and motorhomes which are not necessarily needed, as a few folks have proven who have much smaller fiberglass trailers for fulltiming. Some of the problems with those larger units are mentioned above.

You are in a good place to see about the larger molded fiberglass trailers. You can also go to any of the factory websites to see more about the others besides Scamp.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #19

Missouri
Rachael -

Even though there are many Escapees with larger towables and larger motor homes, there are some FGRV owners who have joined Escapees (including ourselves).
Some purchase "park model" units at a co-op Escapee park to use as
a "home base" and then use their smaller FGRVs for traveling about
and exploring the country.

For folks who relocate infrequently and stay longer in each location
(i.e. they live up north and winter in Florida or Texas), motor homes
and larger trailers (molded fiberglass or ?other?) are possibly a good option.
Larger units probably provide much more comfortable living for longer duration stays.

For folks who would like to ramble around the country and stay in each location
just long enough to see the sights, enjoy the weather/scenery, and
maybe rest up a bit before the next travel segment, smaller/lighter
FGRVs might be the better choice?

As the old 60s song says, "Different strokes for different folks."
As always, YMMV.

Again .... Good luck with your search and decisions!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fulltiming

For us (with consideration to different strokes...) we have traveled extensively in a motor home and in small trailers, presently a Scamp 16. We have always had a car. We have never had an outside tent or screen room.

First since we travel 8 months a year and mostly not in mid summer, bugs have not been an issue. As well we see no reason to set up a tent at every stop. Our typical schedule is a week here or there, but most likely a day, or two or three. It's rare for us to spend extensive periods in one location.

Certainly the motor home provided enough internal space for every activity. Initially we thought our first small trailer would become uncomfortably small, after 7 years it has not become the case for us. Of course the bulk of our time is spent outside and most typically not in the area of the trailer. Our day times are spent exploring, only in severely bad weather do we stay in the trailer during daylight hours other than for a light lunch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #21

Missouri
Thanks, Norm!
I was hoping you would chime in.

Rachael - As you can tell, Norm has a wealth of experience in this area.
You should probably rely on his opinion and experience over my own or
some others.

I am somewhat comfortable with the choices that that we have made,
but I didn't want to sound too dogmatic or opinionated. There are lots
of good people with lots of different ideas and ways of doing things.
What matters most is what will work for you and make you happy!

BTW - We don't always take our screen tent with us and we certainly
don't set it up at every stop. I guess that we use it kind of like we
used the awning on our old StarCraft pop-up trailer.

Since our trailer is 3 feet smaller than Norm's, we worried that there
might be times when we would need some pleasant "outside space"
to escape to. The CLAM screen tent offers us that "separate space"
to read, or nap, or just listen a little better to the sounds of nature.

Ray
Old 03-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #22

New York
We also don't always set up our screen tent, like if we are only in one place for a few days. But for the long term stays it gives us more living space, plus it's where I go to watch my TV shows while Mary watches hers in the camper LOL. Also it's space to set up our comfortable chairs, as in the current thread "Outdoor Chairs". Found some clip on 110V LED lights to clip on the chair back for reading. And a table top one for in the camper.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #23

Florida
As Ray writes there's is more than one path to satisfaction. We have taken both the small trailer and motor home route. Both were fun. The trailer offers lower cost and lesser traveled roads and remoter camp sites. That said, I think you could spend a life time in either type of rig and still be doing new things and seeing new places.

As to screen rooms we never use them mostly because we rarely are in buggy environments, partially because we don't travel in the summer, July and August. Secondarily we don't like to carry a lot of stuff, particularly loose stuff. Like screen rooms we don't carry coolers. We do carry four light chairs so we have enough for another couple.

We don't do separate space, we have grown to watch the same shows and simply spend all out time together except laundry time. Over 15 years of 24/7 we have simply grown closer together...recognize we're on the road for almost 8 months a year. Even when we're home we spend most of our time together...we only have one vehicle though Ginny does some things with her sisters without me, I really miss her when she's gone off, even for few hours.

I'm a technical person and Ginny shows interest and wonder about my little technical chats... she expresses an interest in how everything works...my job is to make it fun and real.

Obviously we love our lives on the road...it's always new adventure. We rarely spend a lot of time in one place., days, weeks, sometimes a month or so.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #24

Florida
Pop up as a full time rig.

I do not think a pop up makes a good full time rig. Fiberglass trailers as an example are a lot tighter and a lot faster to set up. Honestly it takes us miutes to park and be in a cozy place.

That said, I think if I had to do it I could full time in just about anything. To me, though not all, the road experience is well above the trailer in importance..again that is not the case for everyone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #25

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
We have stayed longer term, once 5 1/2 months and the next time, 3 1/2 months, in a tent trailer. Nicer ones but neither time with an inside shower. We were younger when we did 5 1/2 months, in our 40s but 2 years ago, at 58, the 3 1/2 months was much more than enough. We were parked in one place (house-hunting). We have a tent trailer now and took it out once last summer. We love tent ends and considered a hybrid (leaks major per everything I have read due to the design which they can't get right) but you still have the hassle with the bedding and cannot use the unit on the road. We like to be able to use our bathroom and stop for lunch, get in the frig, eat and walk around a rest area. We stop probably every two hours because of our crews needs.

Love the tent trailer and I could full-time in one IF I were younger again and not concerned about security.

I really want secure and small not requiring a lot of energy. Something one person could handle on their own, thus my continued interest and pursuit of the molded fiberglass trailer.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #26

Florida
We had a couple of potential newbies visit recently and a primary concern was security/safety. I believe this concern comes from their everyday lives.

Most of us live in relatively congested areas where safety concerns are driven by reality and the media. We are typically in areas of low population density. On the rare occasions when we've had a breakdown people have stopped to offer a hand.

In 14 years we have not had a security issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Full-Timing Discussion at Rally

Rachel, I think you're on the right track in one regard. Start with a used unit, use it a season or two, then you'll know what you really need in a trailer (or whether full-timing even works for you). Buying a new fiberglass trailer, you will lose if you sell after a year or two (not nearly as bad as a conventional RV, but still...). Buying a used fiberglass trailer, you stand a good chance to break even or better, having had the free use of the trailer during the trial period. Then, if you desire, buy the brand-new trailer that suits you. Or keep it and spend the money on traveling.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Full-Timing Discussion at Rally

Late thought... When we were at Lost Dutchman State Park near Phoenix last month I did see one clearly retired couple camping in a tent trailer. Out-of-state plates told me they were likely long-termers, if not full-timers, so it could be done. But it would require more planning and limit your options for overnight stays, as others have said.

Tags
rally