Full-Timing Discussion at Rally - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Thanks, Norm!
I was hoping you would chime in.

Rachael - As you can tell, Norm has a wealth of experience in this area.
You should probably rely on his opinion and experience over my own or
some others.

I am somewhat comfortable with the choices that that we have made,
but I didn't want to sound too dogmatic or opinionated. There are lots
of good people with lots of different ideas and ways of doing things.
What matters most is what will work for you and make you happy!

BTW - We don't always take our screen tent with us and we certainly
don't set it up at every stop. I guess that we use it kind of like we
used the awning on our old StarCraft pop-up trailer.

Since our trailer is 3 feet smaller than Norm's, we worried that there
might be times when we would need some pleasant "outside space"
to escape to. The CLAM screen tent offers us that "separate space"
to read, or nap, or just listen a little better to the sounds of nature.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We also don't always set up our screen tent, like if we are only in one place for a few days. But for the long term stays it gives us more living space, plus it's where I go to watch my TV shows while Mary watches hers in the camper LOL. Also it's space to set up our comfortable chairs, as in the current thread "Outdoor Chairs". Found some clip on 110V LED lights to clip on the chair back for reading. And a table top one for in the camper.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
As Ray writes there's is more than one path to satisfaction. We have taken both the small trailer and motor home route. Both were fun. The trailer offers lower cost and lesser traveled roads and remoter camp sites. That said, I think you could spend a life time in either type of rig and still be doing new things and seeing new places.

As to screen rooms we never use them mostly because we rarely are in buggy environments, partially because we don't travel in the summer, July and August. Secondarily we don't like to carry a lot of stuff, particularly loose stuff. Like screen rooms we don't carry coolers. We do carry four light chairs so we have enough for another couple.

We don't do separate space, we have grown to watch the same shows and simply spend all out time together except laundry time. Over 15 years of 24/7 we have simply grown closer together...recognize we're on the road for almost 8 months a year. Even when we're home we spend most of our time together...we only have one vehicle though Ginny does some things with her sisters without me, I really miss her when she's gone off, even for few hours.

I'm a technical person and Ginny shows interest and wonder about my little technical chats... she expresses an interest in how everything works...my job is to make it fun and real.

Obviously we love our lives on the road...it's always new adventure. We rarely spend a lot of time in one place., days, weeks, sometimes a month or so.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #24

Florida
Pop up as a full time rig.

I do not think a pop up makes a good full time rig. Fiberglass trailers as an example are a lot tighter and a lot faster to set up. Honestly it takes us miutes to park and be in a cozy place.

That said, I think if I had to do it I could full time in just about anything. To me, though not all, the road experience is well above the trailer in importance..again that is not the case for everyone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have stayed longer term, once 5 1/2 months and the next time, 3 1/2 months, in a tent trailer. Nicer ones but neither time with an inside shower. We were younger when we did 5 1/2 months, in our 40s but 2 years ago, at 58, the 3 1/2 months was much more than enough. We were parked in one place (house-hunting). We have a tent trailer now and took it out once last summer. We love tent ends and considered a hybrid (leaks major per everything I have read due to the design which they can't get right) but you still have the hassle with the bedding and cannot use the unit on the road. We like to be able to use our bathroom and stop for lunch, get in the frig, eat and walk around a rest area. We stop probably every two hours because of our crews needs.

Love the tent trailer and I could full-time in one IF I were younger again and not concerned about security.

I really want secure and small not requiring a lot of energy. Something one person could handle on their own, thus my continued interest and pursuit of the molded fiberglass trailer.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #26

Florida
We had a couple of potential newbies visit recently and a primary concern was security/safety. I believe this concern comes from their everyday lives.

Most of us live in relatively congested areas where safety concerns are driven by reality and the media. We are typically in areas of low population density. On the rare occasions when we've had a breakdown people have stopped to offer a hand.

In 14 years we have not had a security issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Full-Timing Discussion at Rally

Rachel, I think you're on the right track in one regard. Start with a used unit, use it a season or two, then you'll know what you really need in a trailer (or whether full-timing even works for you). Buying a new fiberglass trailer, you will lose if you sell after a year or two (not nearly as bad as a conventional RV, but still...). Buying a used fiberglass trailer, you stand a good chance to break even or better, having had the free use of the trailer during the trial period. Then, if you desire, buy the brand-new trailer that suits you. Or keep it and spend the money on traveling.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Full-Timing Discussion at Rally

Late thought... When we were at Lost Dutchman State Park near Phoenix last month I did see one clearly retired couple camping in a tent trailer. Out-of-state plates told me they were likely long-termers, if not full-timers, so it could be done. But it would require more planning and limit your options for overnight stays, as others have said.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #29

Never Say Never

This got me to thinking about when we were stayed the 5 1/2 months in our pop-up in AZ. There was a husband, wife and about a 10 year old staying in a pop-up when we got there. They had been in the pop-up for 2 years. She had a lot of great tips. They had ran into something with the IRS and although they had things stored, like furniture, they no longer had a house and needed to save as much money as they could. This had been a family with a very, very nice home and a rich lifestyle. So, "never say never" as I am sure that family thought the same.

We saw people living there in appliance boxes, sleeping in the park, etc. A lot of people get their tails caught in the fan when they don't do their research. We did meet a family who had been full-timing 2 years in an older and larger unit looking for a place to start a trash service and they were doing well in the area. They had moved around to several different states looking around for the right spot.

Far too many people decide to invest for the biggest and what they perceive as the best only to find that they don't like it and it is nearly impossible to unload those units since the market is flooded with them.

So, small with a plan whether it amounts to a weekend now and then, vacation, snowbird or full-timer, awesome!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #30

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Wisconsin
Thanks to everyone for all the advice! It has helped us decide not to buy the pop-up and just go ahead and take our best shot at a trailer. We will be towing with a V6 Toyota Tacoma and are now considering either a 19-foot Scamp or an R-Pod. I know the R-Pod is not a molded fiberglass trailer, but we are considering it anyway. I'll keep you all posted! Thanks again!
Rachel P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Unless that's a typo, the 19' Scamp is a 5th wheel and of course requires a pickup tug.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #32

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Unless that's a typo, the 19' Scamp is a 5th wheel and of course requires a pickup tug.
I do make plenty of typos! But at least at this time, we are planning to tow with a V6 Toyota Tacoma truck, so we would be able to pull the Scamp fifth wheeler or the R-pod. We are still researching and appreciate all advice! Thanks.
Rachel P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #33

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Summary of Our Full-Timing Discussion

I want to thank all of the Green Eggs and Ham Rally participants that came to the ring fire discussion. As this thread demonstrates, it’s an interesting topic and there are many full-timing people to contribute their knowledge and experience.

As I gather, the definition and lifestyle of full-timers vary greatly, yet there is a common thread of living on the road and out of a fixed structure. I think we’re curious to how others manage, budget and adjust to a mobile life.

My story is a bit opposite to most full-timers, because I upgraded and invested living out of my car to live in a travel trailer. As I said in the discussion, “My car is my wife. I don’t go anywhere without her and she is my support. The trailer is the mistress; she is the additional luxury that I am now committed to afford.”
We discussed downscaling and simplifying, and for most that’s the case. For me, the discussion was valuable for that, but I’m upgrading and complicating by having more than my vehicle.

Ultimately, it’s not about the structure you choose to live in, but the nomadic, mobile lifestyle you choose to have.
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #34

NA
Follow Up Article on Discussion

There are two Fulltiming articles posted on www.handywomanscompanion.com, a free online magazine that doesn't require a subscription to read:

The first one is directly related to the discussion:
Living the Dream: Fulltiming

The cover story is similarly related:
Rivet Rollers
Old 04-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #35

I think I have probably saw the "extremes" in full-timing and everything in the middle. It is just very similar to me to the "extremes" of S/B living. All kinds of people and all kinds of living "vessels".

Becky of "Interstellar Orchard" had the best summation of the lifestyle just a few days ago in her blog: Full-timing Has No Hard Definition | Interstellar Orchard
Old 04-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #36

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Becky of "Interstellar Orchard" had the best summation of the lifestyle just a few days ago in her blog: Full-timing Has No Hard Definition | Interstellar Orchard
Yes Cathy, I agree, and that's why she had that specific blog entry linked at the end of the article, "Living the Dream: Fulltiming".

Hope you caught that.

Tags
rally