Full timing Forum for MFROG - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Potential Full Timer Forum Readers
Current Full Timer in RV 10 5.99%
Past Full Timer in RV 7 4.19%
RV Full Timer Wannabe or Seriously Considering It 66 39.52%
Mildly Considering RV Full Timing 30 17.96%
Just Curious 48 28.74%
Don't have the slightest interest in Full Timing and don't want to waste bytes even talking about it... 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2015, 12:02 AM   #61

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
California
Norm and Ginny,

It sounds like you to are really enjoying the RV life. I can hardly wait to start doing something. I'm getting tired of working

All of our kids are out of school and busy with their families. My wife baby sits a lot--me not so much :-) I'm a musician so that keeps me busy most of the time. I'll have to find a musical outlet when I'm on the road. I'll bring my guitar along with me.

Thanks again for all of your insight into RVing.

I see you have a Scamp 16' (if I read your post right). I like how these fiberglass RVs are built and especially the fact that they're so light.

Anyway. Happy RV'ing.
mkcornelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:21 AM   #62

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike, We really find the RV to be secondary but each person needs to find their own comfort zone. You should go to a couple of Fiberglass rallies. You don't need to have a trailer to visit. It will provide an opportunity to see a lot of different models. All rallies have an open house day and the people are really friendly.

The fiberglass trailers have a real strength in that their external bodies are strong and enduring. The internal stuff is fairly common, the same and available from trailer to trailer.

Our Scamp weighs around 2400 pounds and has a tongue weight of 200 pounds. This is fully loaded for our travels. Our Scamp is more modified than most. If you go to the thread on our trailer you can see what we've done at the following site:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

It's a long thread but gives an idea of what've done.

We previously towed with a 2004 Honda CRV, 4 cylinder manual transmission. We now tow with a 2014 Honda Odyssey, v6 automatic. The CRV went 250,000 miles with never a single driveline repair. The Odyssey is only on year 2 but is huge compared to the CRV, more comfortable, gets a little less mpg towing but better mpg driving around.

All the trailers come with different layouts, here's a link to Scamp.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroo...ard_Layout1_06

We love our Scamp but would probably love any of the fiberglass trailers.

Wish you well and always happy to answer your questions.

I'll send you a PM with how to contact us other than through posts. If you're in FL please feel free to stop be and I'll show you our Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #63

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Another "term" that might be considered is "long time". Full time implies that you are giving up a stick built home and, well, living full time in the trailer. There are a number of us that travel for long times but keep a stick built home. For example, my recent trips have been 111, 138, and 304 days. Many of the same concerns of full timers exist for long timers.

My stick built home is in a beautiful part of upstate NY (on the shores of Lake Ontario) and I would find it difficult to give up. It does mean the added expense of keeping a house & living long term in the trailer, however I enjoy having a place to garden, pick my blueberries, etc while home. I do plan to avoid as much winter as possible; I had to shovel my roof last February!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #64

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Like Jpon, we're not full timers either, actually the number of full timers is not great. Many people travel for long periods and spend a few months somewhere, like their children's yards.

Our longest stint on the road was 310 days in one year. WE manage to typically trave for about 220 days a year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #65

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Scamp 16'
California
Soon!

I'm planning on beginning full timing in a 16 footer before too long - probably by September. I can't wait to read all about your adventures and learn from your experience!

Thanks!

Leslie
LeslieGErickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #66

Trailer: Eggcamper 2009
We have been on the road for about a year and for the first 3 months, we were in an EGG camper. We sold the house in Michigan. We decided to go to a larger camper which feels great.
However, the small camper offers more opportunities.
You can get into more remote campsites.
You can find camping sites up in the mountains and actually get there.
Less space means less stuff to take care of.
Our EGG was easier to fix while the larger one is now more involved.
You can actually park in town in 2 parking spaces.

Take advantage of your smallness.

Enjoy the ride.
Dennis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #67

California
Thanks Dennis!

That's my big decision. If I go with a 13', I can pull it with an Outback. If I go the 16', I'll need a truck. And I am planning on as many remote sites as I can find, and I will be up in the mountains.

Thanks for the great feedback. And come to think of it, I can always try the 13' and if it's too small, I can trade the Outback for a truck and the 13' for a 16'.

Leslie
Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #68

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGErickson View Post
Thanks Dennis!

That's my big decision. If I go with a 13', I can pull it with an Outback. If I go the 16', I'll need a truck. ....
Leslie
Leslie you don't need a truck to pull a 16' trailer. Heck, you don't even need a truck to pull a 21' trailer. The only time you need a truck is to pull a 5th wheel.

I'd guess we have bunches more folks towing a 16' trailer with minivans to SUVs than we do trucks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #69

California
Thanks Donna!

I want to be able to drive, without the trailer, on some pretty rough roads for hiking and backpacking, so a minivan with its lower clearance is out of the picture. I've considered a bigger SUV, but I'm not sure I want one for some reason. Years ago I had a Tahoe and I never loved it like I've loved my CR-V. That's why I thought the Outback would be great. But I think I'm leaning toward the Tacoma 4x4.

Leslie
Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #70

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
New full timer here

After spending last summer in a canvas pop-up and renting a room in Albuquerque for the winter, I'm about to set forth in my new 2005 Casita Spirit! While I'm 61 and cannot afford to live in my home without getting a damn job, the numbers work for this and for that I'm constantly giving thanks to the creator.

I'm an avid runner and cyclist, my only firm agenda items for the next year are my 4th RAGBRAI (big bicycle thing across Iowa in July) and the North Rim for however long I feel like it starting in about a week. Like last year, I'll base in my hometown of Glenwood Springs, CO and venture forth from there. Retirement, woot.
joe6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #71

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGErickson View Post
Thanks Donna!

I want to be able to drive, without the trailer, on some pretty rough roads for hiking and backpacking, so a minivan with its lower clearance is out of the picture. I've considered a bigger SUV, but I'm not sure I want one for some reason. Years ago I had a Tahoe and I never loved it like I've loved my CR-V. That's why I thought the Outback would be great. But I think I'm leaning toward the Tacoma 4x4.

Leslie

We pulled a 16' Casita with a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 for 6 years. This truck was a 2.7 Cyl. With 5 spd manual transmission. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
John Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:40 AM   #72

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Shopping
Texas
Full Time Eggscaping

Greetings All!
My wife and I are seriously planning to rent out our home in February, right after our Casita Independence hatches on January 27, 2017.

My math supports that we can save well over $1000 bucks a month doing this.

Health issues have motivated this decision, as I am currently working full time from home as the doc won't allow me back in the office at this time.

Time will tell if I can actually take the lifestyle on the road or if we will be hanging out here in town due to health insurance, etc. But the state of Texas is one big place with lots of things to see and do. Our state parks are spectacular!

Looking forward to this new and exciting chapter in our lives.

I like the idea of a dedicated fourm to this unique and fun lifestyle!
Dennis
eggscaping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #73

Name: Correna
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Hi. My name is Correna. I recently rented my home and i'm staying in my 1976 Trillium Trailor. I wonder if you have any suggestions, especially for the winter months. I'm trying to do it without plugging in. CRAZY, I know!
cglassford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #74

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Shopping
Texas
Hi Correna!
Well, we are not the resident experts as of yet as we do not yet have our trailer.
We live in San Antonio and will consider this to be home base as we do our best to follow agreeable weather. The portability of our housing is a huge bonus in this regard

My instincts would dictate that it would always be prudent to keep your water, propane and batteries topped off as as much as reasonable, cause you will have considerable discomfort without any of them.

Keep an overstock of non-perishables around so you have something to eat if your fridge takes an unplanned holiday, make sure you have appropriate clothing for your environment, and smile all the time, especially when things aren't going as planned

What are your thoughts young lady?

Dennis
eggscaping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #75

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Dumbleton View Post
Mike is pondering whether or not to add a forum to the group about Full Timing in RVs. Such forums already exist at Escapees.com and RV.NET.

For those who don't know, Full Timing officially means your RV is your home and you don't have any other home. You literally live on the road, in campgrounds, forests, some land you own, a relative's back yard, parking lots, etc.

For the purpose of this group, likely Full Timer would be modified to include the Part Timers and Snowbirds, who may have an anchored home somewhere but leave it for months at a time to work or winter or travel elsewhere.
I’d enjoy reading more about how people full time travel and explore the US and Canada. I am at the edge of retiring. But I work in real estate and can take trips any time I want right now. We just bought our Casita 17’ and will be traveling from Southwest Florida to Maine this summer. Really looking forward to it.
cherylbredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #76

Name: Frances
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer M View Post
It's a nice idea (to have a new forum), but it seems there are not many actually full-timing. I agree that full-timing
in fiberglass is probably quite different than in bulgemobiles (certainly it's a lot easier!).

Sept. 20th will mark 3 years aboard the micronaut. When I decided to do it, I was living in my
small house in my hometown and had quite a bit of furniture, books, papers, tools, etc.
In May of '04, I packed a small back pack, and went back to a previous employer in Raleigh/Durham (3-4 hrs away).
I stayed in a bedroom at my sister's while I waited for the Casita to be built and be ready to pick up.

On weekends, I traveled home and took on the Herculean task of disposing of, selling, and giving away
all that stuff! If you live away from your stuff for a while, you can come back to it and just look
at it as if it was someone else's stuff, which makes it easier to deal with.

After living out of a back pack, the Casita seemed unbelievably spacious! Room for everything plus some stuff!

Finally, a couple of months after getting the Casita, I finished emptying the house. I distilled the material
effects of 35 years into the things I have on board, plus about six boxes stored at my folks' big house, and
a couple of power tools on loan to brothers-in-law.

With the house empty, I prepped it for rent. A good cleaning, a few improvements, and a new stove were
about all that were needed. I gave the keys to my real estate agent, a trusted person I've known all my life
who also manages about 150 properties. After her fee is deducted, the rent she deposits for me comes to
within $5 of covering the mortgage.

So, while I'm having all this fun visiting family across the state, seeing our state parks, working in Raleigh, and more
recently working a few days a week in Winston-Salem, my house has been sitting there paying for itself!
I might also add that the home equity actually paid for the Casita, and I'm still way better than right-side-up in the
mortgage!

Last summer I added a driveway to the lower part of the acre under the house, and with a new tenant, modified
the lease to allow me to drive down there and camp in the lower corner (much farther from the house than the
house is from its neighbors!). That has been handy to have a base camp when needed.

I would support a separate section for full-timing concerns. I've certainly learned a lot, and would enjoy anybody
else's tales, adventures, advice, etc.

P
Wow, very cool planning. I am in simular situation, thought my mortgage is almost played off and I am retired. I have a capita 17 deluxe. I would like to know more about your travels, which parks, what parts of the country?
FabulousFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #77
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousFrankie View Post
Wow, very cool planning. I am in simular situation, thought my mortgage is almost played off and I am retired. I have a capita 17 deluxe. I would like to know more about your travels, which parks, what parts of the country?
This looks like a very old tread. For an active site that you can find your answers, try RVillage. It's both a web page and an app.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #78

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglassford View Post
Hi. My name is Correna. I recently rented my home and i'm staying in my 1976 Trillium Trailor. I wonder if you have any suggestions, especially for the winter months. I'm trying to do it without plugging in. CRAZY, I know!
One great thing about any RV is they are mobile. Head south is the answer. I know a couple that have been full timing in their Trillium 1300 for three years now. Their location changes with the seasons. Florida and Arizona campgrounds are full of Canadian snow birds in the winter (prior to Covid). Why be miserable in the winter when you can seek out better weather. Its not just better for the camper, its better for being active: hiking, bicycling or whatever. Habitat 4 Humanity even had work-cations, where they would provide camping in Florida, and you would pitch in on a build.

My parents who lived in the upper midwest would winter in the Florida Panhandle every year. There they had mild weather, my dad could golf every day. And it was the off season in the panhandle, so it was pretty affordable. As you progress further south into Florida, winter becomes the "prime season" with higher pricing.

https://www.habitat.org/volunteer/tr...care-a-vanners
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:49 PM   #79

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Dang how did I miss this thread years back.. 😳
I guess I'll keep it somewhat alive too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming