Full Timing "Great New Opportunities" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Full Timing "Great New Opportunities"

Every now and then I look at the threads posted about full timing. The one about "What do you do for fun...." caught my eye because I have and do still contemplate full timing.

Any way, when people ask what would you do if you were full timing, how would you fill your time.....I simply reply what do you do with your time at home couldn't you pretty much do the same thing? Maybe not with the same people but then wouldn't it be great to meet new people??

If you bike, find new bike paths....
If you kayak/canoe, find new waters....
If you golf, find new golf courses....
If you like to drive, find new roads....
If you like to eat, it shouldn't be hard to find new yummy foods....
If you want like minded people, travel from one Fiberglass gathering to another, there are lots of them through out the country...
If you are simply curious, that should be no problem at all....

So then consider while out full timing you have the whole world, actually the country, waiting for you. There is so much out there that most of us haven't seen, don't know much about, etc. Wouldn't it be great to be able to find out and try new things.

All those "Great New Opportunities".
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Every now and then I look at the threads posted about full timing. The one about "What do you do for fun...." caught my eye because I have and do still contemplate full timing.

Any way, when people ask what would you do if you were full timing, how would you fill your time.....I simply reply what do you do with your time at home couldn't you pretty much do the same thing? Maybe not with the same people but then wouldn't it be great to meet new people??

If you bike, find new bike paths....
If you kayak/canoe, find new waters....
If you golf, find new golf courses....
If you like to drive, find new roads....
If you like to eat, it shouldn't be hard to find new yummy foods....
If you want like minded people, travel from one Fiberglass gathering to another, there are lots of them through out the country...
If you are simply curious, that should be no problem at all....

So then consider while out full timing you have the whole world, actually the country, waiting for you. There is so much out there that most of us haven't seen, don't know much about, etc. Wouldn't it be great to be able to find out and try new things.

All those "Great New Opportunities".
Nice thoughts Joy.

There's other worlds than 'just' the travel world. There are whole new worlds within you, new life opportunities, new relationship opportunities. It's not just more of the same from a new rolling home. You need to be open to the boundless.

Recently one of my nieces became interested in reading and appeared with the first book of a series, her Joy was obvious. When she got to book 4 of 5, I bought her another series by the same author she was interested in.

Last week she was at our NH home and picked up Ginny's copy of The Martian and was immediately enthralled. She's now a reader, finding a companion world. It reminded me so much of the discoveries we've made RVing, the new joys of living.

Not that there was anything wrong with the old joys. It's just that there are so many possibilities, often possibilities we never even imagined. Sometime they just take a little step. One could be stepping into an RV.

Thanks Joy I always like thinking about the road life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

"Thanks Joy I always like thinking about the road life. "

Me, too.

And, you are welcome.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 10-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
I too, dream of the open road and all there is to see at a leisurely pace. A friend, who has a trailer, said to me the other day. I often think a cabin by a lake would be wonderful. I looked at her and replied "you have a cabin on wheels, when you tire of the view you move to a new one. Don't like your neighbours? Move on." She looked at me in surprise and said "I never thought of it that way." We have "owned" both and much prefer the mobile style. Too much to see in this world.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
What new discoveries are there for the open roader ? We've RV'd across North America (Canada and USA) several times between the 1960's and 'NOW'. But, in 2005, we discovered the sport of 'Geocaching'. We've now revisited all 49 land based States, as well as 9 provinces; and found even more secluded, surprise, geocaching locations, that have further enticed us to 'explore' our continent. If you want a reason for getting out-there; try Geocaching.
PS - We've also geocached in 16 'other' countries to date ! Interesting Geocaches are waiting to be found on other continents also.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #6

Florida
We've spent some time during our travels geocaching as well. Before we take a trip to a new location I usually pick out a few caches, finding that they will often take you to surprising and interesting places.

ANother aspect is you can be virtually no where, place where you might only see four cars a day on the main highway.. yet there are caches to be found.

It is a good healthy hobby for mind and body.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
I too, dream of the open road and all there is to see at a leisurely pace. A friend, who has a trailer, said to me the other day. I often think a cabin by a lake would be wonderful. I looked at her and replied "you have a cabin on wheels, when you tire of the view you move to a new one. Don't like your neighbours? Move on." She looked at me in surprise and said "I never thought of it that way." We have "owned" both and much prefer the mobile style. Too much to see in this world.
Ginny phrases it: "You're living in the same place but you stop and have a lovely new view".

As well as the new view you can have a younger more curious view of everything.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
My problem is I like to make things. Sure, I enjoy biking and reading, but making things really fulfills me. That's my challenge doing any kind of living on the road. what's small enough I could bring along to make. Even my leather working stuff takes up room.

On the other hand, it sure would be nice to really have to worry about it. That won't be a problem for many years from the looks of things.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
My problem is I like to make things. Sure, I enjoy biking and reading, but making things really fulfills me. That's my challenge doing any kind of living on the road. what's small enough I could bring along to make. Even my leather working stuff takes up room.

On the other hand, it sure would be nice to really have to worry about it. That won't be a problem for many years from the looks of things.

Frank
One thing I did for a couple of years was wood carving. The equipment is small, light and inexpensive. You can do it any where for minutes or hours. When in FL, there's a group that meet in Arcadia once a week, well over 100 carvers, many doing master pieces, others beginning learning how. Really nice people.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #10

I like making things, too and I carve and whittle.

I have a leather apron with a couple of pockets which hold my carving tools and other little things. I roll it up and take it with me. I just inherited a nice carving knife from my Dad, I believe it's a Flexcut. The only problem is that it has "righty" blades and I'm a "lefty". I have learned to simply use it the opposite direction very carefully.

My carving stuff would probably fit in an oversized shoe box. Even with the Dremel and 3" multi-grinder my Dad gave me. The grinder has a grit wheel on one end and a fabric wheel on the other with a cable coming out the end that can be used as a hand held pencil type dremel.

Say I've been thinking about a 4x4 pickup truck with a utility bed. I can see a pull out "Joey bed" mounted in the interior below a cap on top. Then the kayak outside on the top. There would be a long top cabinet for ski's on one side and golf clubs on the other. The multiple small cabinets would hold carving, fishing, biking, bowling, woodworking and other things. They would all be in their own compartments. Just think what the slide out "Joey bed" would hold. I might even get some "stuff" out of the little Scamp.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
If you mow the lawn, You smile every time you drive by someone doing the same.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #12

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Fun Q.

Most likely Cari & I will continue to do what we do on our days off and current mini-adventures... Find a river, some shade, set up the chairs and enjoy each other's company.

This past year Cari put aside her gold pans for just that. And many times stated she was enjoying being outside and our travels much more without the quest for gold.

Music to my ears : )

And about ~300 lbs less gear in the van!

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17’
Minnesota
I love it! You make me want to go 'full timing' the rest of my life! Only problem is, my husband is still working and doesn't love the open road adventures as much as I do. Now that I have my 16' Casita and Hyundai Sante Fe tow vehicle I plan on going on some trips of my own. I don't plan on going to either coast alone from MN but plan on shorter voyages in 2016. Its so much fun to read everyone's ideas/adventures/advice on this forum!
Thank you for the inspiration!
Linda,
Albany, MN
Linda19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #14

Florida
Linda,

Wish you well in your adventures.

We had never traveled as RVers or for extend periods before we started 15 years ago. We were both surprised by what we found. There's much more to it than the RV, the travel, ....

Hope thinks work out and minimally that you enjoy it and maximally that your husband discovers the possibilities.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16