Full timing in an egg? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
As we talk about full timing maybe some the small or tiny house living hints and tips would help. A google search on small house living turned up a couple including this one.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I am remembering a couple from Maine that (pre-hack) modified their 17' Casita Liberty with twin beds and a permanent counter/peninsula table across the back. (That mod was a work of art) They used to spend the winter in Florida, and the Summer in Maine. They decided to sell off the big property in Maine, and live Full time in an RV... and wound up apologizing in a post for getting "...a big honking truck and a Large 5th wheel "stickie" with slide-outs. For them, a 17' trailer was OK for only part of the year, but they needed more space for the 2 of them to be comfortable all of the time.
Don and Mary Ellen? There's also Larry Page and his wife, they sold their Scamp 5th wheel after trying to full-time in it for a while.

But, I think there are basically two kinds of full-timers. The people mentioned above, park their trailer's in RV parks and stay put for months on end. Then there are people like L&D who are full time "travelers." Everytime they check in, they're someplace new. And I think that type of full timing lends itself best with a smaller trailer.... after all, your "living room" constantly changes. It almost gets back to the "Are you an RVer or a Camper"? question.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
As we talk about full timing maybe some the small or tiny house living hints and tips would help...
Interesting article Byron. We live in a relatively sm. house, some might call a cabin. But we have acreage and out buildings and are not confined to the house, much of our life is out of the house. Living in a trailer/RV really defines what is your private, exclusive "place" in the world. It seems considering full timing isn't just about "stuff", what you can and can't live with (haven't most of us had the experience of walking into our house after a trip and thinking, "I just lived happily for two weeks with very little, why do I need all this!?") but also about wiggle room. Some need very little, others much more. People who say they can live out of a backpack often need lots space and privacy to do so, or live where much is provided. Near where I live there are "boat people", living in small spaces but in a town accommodating that lifestyle and where they spend most of their time. When I think of fulltiming I DO NOT think of RV parks with amenities and other people, but more private settings in nature, (which are not always easy to find year round for longer stays.) In those settings it may be necessary to have more in that little trailer. (Did I mention we are sort of looking for a 17' Burro? )
Just some of thoughts. I much admire David and Leslie, they are good role models! Hope there will be more "eggcellant" examples of full timing!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Interesting article Byron. We live in a relatively sm. house, some might call a cabin. But we have acreage and out buildings and are not confined to the house, much of our life is out of the house. Living in a trailer/RV really defines what is your private, exclusive "place" in the world. It seems considering full timing isn't just about "stuff", what you can and can't live with (haven't most of us had the experience of walking into our house after a trip and thinking, "I just lived happily for two weeks with very little, why do I need all this!?") but also about wiggle room. Some need very little, others much more. People who say they can live out of a backpack often need lots space and privacy to do so, or live where much is provided. Near where I live there are "boat people", living in small spaces but in a town accommodating that lifestyle and where they spend most of their time. When I think of fulltiming I DO NOT think of RV parks with amenities and other people, but more private settings in nature, (which are not always easy to find year round for longer stays.) In those settings it may be necessary to have more in that little trailer. (Did I mention we are sort of looking for a 17' Burro? )
Just some of thoughts. I much admire David and Leslie, they are good role models! Hope there will be more "eggcellant" examples of full timing!
It is interesting. I think I see a subculture developing, but that shouldn't be any surprise. Some of the children of the 50s and 60s always have created subcultures, gone against the establishment.

The next couple decades should be interesting.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Maybe this says it all?

= = = = = = =
Bare Necessities.
(From "Jungle Book.")

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life

Wherever I wander, wherever I roam
I couldn't be fonder of my big home
The bees are buzzin' in the tree
To make some honey just for me

When you look under the rocks and plants
And take a glance at the fancy ants
Then maybe try a few
The bare necessities of life will come to you
They'll come to you!

That's why a bear can rest at ease
With just the bare necessities of life

Now when you pick a pawpaw
Or a prickly pear
And you prick a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear
Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw
Have I given you a clue ?
The bare necessities of life will come to you
They'll come to you!

So just try and relax, yeah cool it
Fall apart in my backyard
'Cause let me tell you something little britches
If you act like that bee acts, uh uh
You're working too hard .

And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true
The bare necessities of life will come to you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #20

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Maybe this says it all?

= = = = = = =
[b]Bare Necessities.
(From "Jungle Book.")
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life
<snip>
Shoot. All this time I thought that was saying bear necessities.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
It is interesting. I think I see a subculture developing, but that shouldn't be any surprise. Some of the children of the 50s and 60s always have created subcultures, gone against the establishment.
The next couple decades should be interesting.
Nothing new here, we are just noticing what has been there for a looong time. The FullTime RV subculture has been around in the US since the plains indians invented the travois to pull behind the horses that the Spanish so kindly furnished. In Florida in the early part of the last century, they were known as Tin Can Tourists (reportedly because of all the cans they left behind). A 30's video reported a million people living in trailers and a million show up every year in Quartzsite alone. And then there are the Roma...

Unfortunately, society everywhere is distrustful of people who don't have a permanent, physical place where they can be reliably found, not just the US or CA.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
(reportedly because of all the cans they left behind)
I thought it was because they lived in aluminium houses

Yes, it weird how there is a misconception. It's expensive to do this, and one needs to set themselves up properly. That doesn't happen by being unemployed and sponging..

Oh well, the beauty is you never have to stick around the same folks long enough to care what they think
Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #23

Oregon
Registry
My reference to subculture is a minimalist subculture. Applies to homes rolling or fixed that are small with not a lot of extras.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'm a bit of a minimalist myself, but I believe the trend has been going the other way for a long time and will continue so. And I'm not just talking about North America, it was so when I lived in Europe and even the Chinese are equating SUVs with personal status ("You ARE what you drive", the unofficial motto of the unofficial state of So Calif).

www.jdpower.com/corporate/china/download/MDunne_ChinaSUVCulture_Jun2007.pdf
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #25

Name: Jeffrey W.
Trailer: In the market for a new or used Escape 5th Wheel
Colorado
Hi every one.
I'm going full-time in spring of 2011 and was looking to buy a used Scamp 5th wheel. I know that the Scamp has a plywood floor, with a fiberglass spry on it. The back side of the floor is exposed to the weather. Has any one had floor rot? Do you think that the Scamp is made for fulltiming and will it hold up? I don't want I be fixing things all the time. Like the cabinet rivets, they seem to brake off or pop-out. What about the door hinges, with the bolts on the out side, it looks like you can take the door off from the out side of the rig.

Thanks if you can help......
Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 TV 2009 Mazda Tribute, 4 cyl, 5 spd trans.
I've just returned from 3 months in my 13 foot Boler, travelling from Ottawa to Albuquerque and back, with stops along the way for Habitat for Humanity Builds. I loved it. Managed the space ok AS LONG AS I had electricity. I missed my little dog, and if I get another, I would have to have air conditioning for the little critter, though I myself can do without it. Boler doesn't have a bathroom; as long as I can have occasional access to an clean, safe, exterior shower facility, I'm fine. Would need to add better internet access. (Living in Canada and travelling in U.S. makes that complicated.)
I can rent my 440 sq foot condo out on an annual basis; leave private or special stuff in existing storage space - I don't have much, as I have downsized over the last 10 years from a 4 bedroom house to the condominium.
I would love to do more extended trips, along the full-timing lines, but need to decide about a dog first - priorities, eh???
Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #27

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I can rent my 440 sq foot condo out on an annual basis; leave private or special stuff in existing storage space - I don't have much, as I have downsized over the last 10 years from a 4 bedroom house to the condominium.
440 square feet? I would call that a Condo-minimum.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 TV 2009 Mazda Tribute, 4 cyl, 5 spd trans.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
440 square feet? I would call that a Condo-minimum.
Ha! Good one!
After 3 months in the 13 foot Boler, the condo felt palatial!
And, when I walked into my 25 foot Prowler, I knew I could live full-time forever in that one, with room to spare.

Tags
eggcamper