Full Timing Ladies? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #61

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Going out on the road alone is scary. But as I sat here reading and thinking, I think of all the things I have done that were scary. Going on stage in a play is scary, going to a wildfire as a medic is scary, teaching adults a class is scary and just meeting the new neighbor can be scary. I guess what gets me through scarey things is the joy I know I will have retelling the stories and that I will have no regrets. I sure don't want to miss a chance of a life time. Just do it girl, the butterflies will fly away and the joy will come.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #62

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Quote:
If you are worried about backing in, do what I did at first, drive in forward as far as you can (hopefully a site well off the road) and DON'T TOUCH THE STEERING WHEEL WHEN YOU STOP. That way, when you are ready to leave, let the tow vehicle back out exactly the way it drove in. I did this with the teardrop quite a lot after I screwed up trying to just back it out and struggling with it.

Not sure how it would work with bigger trailer - I began backing in the Compact II in the beginning. Took a while that first time(boy did it take a while; needed a shower and a nap when done) and sometimes since but mainly I learned to just keep my eyes focused on the outside rearview mirror and SLOWLY slowly make adjustments. My biggest problem was "slowly, slowly" . I have stick shift and for a while was afraid I was going to burn out the clutch.

Having the dogs with you is going to keep you busy and entertained and acquainted with others since most people like a puppy. My dogs are one reason why I now park way away from others if I can - can let them off leash to swim or poke around for a while; can't do that next to host site or in the middle of crowds.
You hit it for me! I still haven't gone any farther than the mechanic's down the road and the planned trip from Indy to San Diego is looming in a month! I have been alone aLONGGG time, so no fear of being alone and I have two very capable bodyguards (see my profile picture). But backing and towing over hills/mountains makes me feel queasy! Also the horror stories of blown tires or broken axles or ruined transmissions and my basic belief since childhood that if I do something, the bad consequences that I am warned about are bound to happen to me! That is in spite of having moved across the country to unknown areas twice by myself, bought and renovated houses by myself, supported my son and I through college by myself etc. I am still terrified of towing a trailer for the first time! I had intended to take several small trips before the big one, but trying to tie up the loose ends at work before I quit and fixing the house problems before I get it on the market are eating all my time. No time to do trailer repairs either! I have several contingency plans, including selling the egg before I even take it out! My time constraint is getting to my son's wedding by the first week in October.

Thank's for the tip about pulling in as far as I can and not touching it! I never thought about that solution for parking in campgrounds. I think I will practice that one in the drive to give me more confidence. Why do I still need confidence boosters after so many successful years and projects on my own?
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #63

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Quote:
You hit it for me! I still haven't gone any farther than the mechanic's down the road and the planned trip from Indy to San Diego is looming in a month! I have been alone aLONGGG time, so no fear of being alone and I have two very capable bodyguards (see my profile picture). But backing and towing over hills/mountains makes me feel queasy! Also the horror stories of blown tires or broken axles or ruined transmissions and my basic belief since childhood that if I do something, the bad consequences that I am warned about are bound to happen to me! That is in spite of having moved across the country to unknown areas twice by myself, bought and renovated houses by myself, supported my son and I through college by myself etc. I am still terrified of towing a trailer for the first time!
Okay, you've got a 13 foot trailer - so have I. To get the trailer, had to meet seller in tiny town up into panhandle of Texas driving from central Louisiana. Guess what? Trailer brake lights didn't work with set up even though seller promised he had alternates planned. SOOOOh, I drove only during daylight hours and hand signaled and was very careful. Parked in one of those great roadside areas where the big trucks park and spent the night for free - even had a view of a lake. Got back and went to the RV place where they pointed out a wire was trailing the ground underneath my car; fixed that and new connection. Brake lights!

Apparently the guy that installed the wiring when I got the teardrop trailer years ago did it very haphazardly but fixed now. That first trip was over 1000 miles - no I didn't do any backing up and the bad wiring didn't cause a fire.

Next trip was from central LA to Des Moines IA and no, I didnt' do any backing up to practice ahead of time but did read this blog. For great campsite in Arkansas, HAD TO BACK IN. Yes, I did it. Fortunately the giant Iowa State Fairgrounds campground (which is great and has shade trees, hot showers, and centrally located) had almost no tenants so could drive around and park. Seems like only place I can't back up is if trailer in the front yard. Even have managed to back little trailer into killer driveway at home.

As for the horror stories - sure, I'd heard them and read them but I bought the little trailer to use, not to park in driveway. Have had small a/c installed and bought a Coleman xtreme cooler, canopy, and tarp floor for canopy. The dogs and I are ready.

There is nothing like waking up in the morning, no walking to distant bathroom, making fresh coffee, and going outside to look at the lake or river or whatever - the great thing is being totally away and in a lovely place in my very own tiny house. Sure, it gets messy and not much room. If something terrible happens - never has - I'll call emergency road service. Only time needed mechanic, it was car not trailer.

Anybody who can move cross country alone can tow a small trailer. Just go do it. You'll find you get the hang of it almost immediately unless you are the worst driver in the world; you don't sound like that. Let me know how it works out. Happy Trails, Pat
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #64

Quote:
You hit it for me! I still haven't gone any farther than the mechanic's down the road and the planned trip from Indy to San Diego is looming in a month! I have been alone aLONGGG time, so no fear of being alone and I have two very capable bodyguards (see my profile picture). But backing and towing over hills/mountains makes me feel queasy! Also the horror stories of blown tires or broken axles or ruined transmissions and my basic belief since childhood that if I do something, the bad consequences that I am warned about are bound to happen to me! That is in spite of having moved across the country to unknown areas twice by myself, bought and renovated houses by myself, supported my son and I through college by myself etc. I am still terrified of towing a trailer for the first time! I had intended to take several small trips before the big one, but trying to tie up the loose ends at work before I quit and fixing the house problems before I get it on the market are eating all my time. No time to do trailer repairs either! I have several contingency plans, including selling the egg before I even take it out! My time constraint is getting to my son's wedding by the first week in October.

Thank's for the tip about pulling in as far as I can and not touching it! I never thought about that solution for parking in campgrounds. I think I will practice that one in the drive to give me more confidence. Why do I still need confidence boosters after so many successful years and projects on my own?
Forgot about what you said about mountains and hills. Yes, it can be harder than just driving the car. I have a 4-cylinder car with stick shift which is why I bought such a little trailer. Sometimes sort of making a running start at a strongly uphill grade. Yes, going uphill is the hard one - don't let the cars behind you get to you - you're going as fast as you can. I don't pull over for cars to pass on two-lane roads until hit flat area with room to pull off road. I really like two-lane back roads rather than interstates or freeways. The worst experiences are the big cities so I carefully study the maps ahead of time to get around them. It isn't that easy to suddenly change lanes at massive interchange with multiple lanes when you're towing a trailer.

Unless you have giant tow vehicle with enormous power, it will be different going uphill towing a trailer. I've managed to avoid ALL backing on hills and mountains; that can be avoided. Since you're driving a long distance, be sure to have your car and, if there, trailer brakes checked. Have all tires checked. Make sure your fan motor working in car engine and all fluids at proper levels. You'll do fine. Let's face it, if it becomes more than you can or want to handle when you get to the mountains, park the trailer at an RV place and fly on to son's wedding then reverse it when you go home. Pat
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #65

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Ok, I am back from my first ever woman alone campout. I left the house with about 4 places in mind to camp, and started out, thinking I will check out the place about 45 minutes away on my way to a state park about 2 1/2 hours away from home. I liked the first place, so stayed there. It was right on the shore of the Mississippi river. I met the nicest couple next to me. He is 88 and she in her 80's. They camp there all summer and head to Fla in the winter. They have two campers and travel in a class B motor home from place to place. They are having fun in their retirement yrs. Also I met another full timer couple.
I will be going back there as it was very peaceful, relaxing and yes, I did enjoy being alone. However a neighbor drove up and stayed one whole day, so I did not have as much time to myself as I thought I would.
The puppies did draw the kids from the campground.
It was a fun experiance. Now I just have to travel further the next time. After all if I intend to do a few months south in the winter time I need to get a little braver.
You full timers are lucky to be able to travel as you please.
I did find I had way to much stuff in my camper. I had to move it from bed to bed as I cooked, slept etc. I am thinking I might need a bigger camper for full timing it. Bigfoots look more roomy (dreaming here)

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #66

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Karalyn!

So great to hear your trip report. You sound happy Sounds like you had a good plan, with a few different options. Having a friend/neighbor come up was a great idea. Better to be craving a little more alone time than to have too much, especially on your first trip. Step by step

Re: Stuff. I remember when I went backpacking in Europe, years ago. I thought I had packed only the bare minimum, but after hauling that pack around for a day I took all my guide books out and tore out everything I wouldn't need and threw it away (somehow tearing up a book was shocking, but... that weight had to go!). I also boxed up about half my clothes and sent them home.

I'm sure after a few more trips you'll get a good idea of what you need/want and what you can leave behind. Just think of us poor folks in 13-footers

Again, congrats!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #67

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Karalyn, I too take toooooooo much stuff and am learning that I really don't need it all. Believe me when I say the bigger the rig the more junk you can pack in, having had a 35 ft class A. I carried to much junk in there to! Junk that I truly didn't need. But just in case, I took it along. I think Raya is right, eventually you will find what you need and what you can live without. Glad to hear your trip was a successsssssssssssssssss!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #68

Quote:
Ok, I am back from my first ever woman alone campout. I left the house with about 4 places in mind to camp, and started out, thinking I will check out the place about 45 minutes away on my way to a state park about 2 1/2 hours away from home. I liked the first place, so stayed there. It was right on the shore of the Mississippi river. I met the nicest couple next to me. He is 88 and she in her 80's. They camp there all summer and head to Fla in the winter. They have two campers and travel in a class B motor home from place to place. They are having fun in their retirement yrs. Also I met another full timer couple.
I will be going back there as it was very peaceful, relaxing and yes, I did enjoy being alone. However a neighbor drove up and stayed one whole day, so I did not have as much time to myself as I thought I would.
The puppies did draw the kids from the campground.
It was a fun experiance. Now I just have to travel further the next time. After all if I intend to do a few months south in the winter time I need to get a little braver.
You full timers are lucky to be able to travel as you please.
I did find I had way to much stuff in my camper. I had to move it from bed to bed as I cooked, slept etc. I am thinking I might need a bigger camper for full timing it. Bigfoots look more roomy (dreaming here)

This is a fine deal! I'm so glad you went ahead and did it. Re "stuff" - one always seems to think that one "might" need that piece of stuff and so brings it along. Right now on living room floor is new lighter weight EZ Up canopy in box - thinking of returning it no matter how much I need a screen room for dogs; it is HEAVY and bulky - where is it going to go while traveling? Bed in Compact II is huge so its end becomes my clothes closet with books, tape player, etc. next to clothes. Yes, I keep moving things around too. Have to stick with tiny trailer due to size of tow vehicle and lack of big money for bigger combination so need to get organized.

When and where next trip?

Pat
Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #69

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Karalyn,

Happy to hear you braved it finally.

Don't feel bad about having too much stuff. Last year on my 3 month plus trip I had clothes I wasn't using so I boxed them up and sent them home. Actually I sent 2 boxes of stuff home that I could live without and through the remainder of the trip I didn't miss any of it.

Pat, rather than a heavy Ez-up why not a collapsible fence or two. That's what I carry for Lily.l They fit fine just behind the passanger seat in the Jeep. Lily's are 2ft x 2ft but you can get then taller, 2ft x 4ft etc. Lily just loves her personal yard when we are out and about.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #70

Trailer: 1991 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
:raises hand: I know, I know!

We ARE!!

(But I completely hear what you are saying; no one ever asks a man (or men) out on a fishing trip "Are you alone!?" with that incredulous, slightly frightened tone.)
Because we're creeped out enough seeing a solo man camping next to us...

OK there are some good tips here and even as a guy I can learn from you lie-deeez (thanks for that Raya! ). You girls are smart...especially for not counting on a man to protect you - I mean seriously what would an average guy do against 5 armed men high on drugs? Sure I could dance myself silly and hope they shoot eachother from the hysteria but I doubt that'll work. I suppose if it's some weirdo thinking of taking advantage of the situation he might think twice about it but dang I don't think he has a chance anyway; we've got Rotweillers here, Mace, 38 specials, Jujitsu and a few angry ladies.

On a more serious note I've been wanting to buy a weapon for home defense - the wife's quite against it and living in CA it's not the easiest thing to do. In my research people say that if you're not willing to kill someone don't bother owning a gun or you'll likely get yourself killed. I guess what they're trying to say is that a lot of people own a gun in the hopes that just by showing it they could defuse an altercation but that only works if the other person's unarmed. If he owns a gun too then chances are he'll actually use one on you. So never display a weapon unless you intend to use it. Personally I'm not sure I want to go that route. So for now I sleep with the truck key next to me and my finger on the panic button. I may purchase a bear spray for the 4 legged creeps - should work on the 2 legged ones too.
Russell, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #71

Though I think most have gotten comfortable with the fear of being alone exploring in our rv's just cause the draw of the great outdoors is so amazing but we still need to be cautious and be prepared to protect ourselfs. I do have a couple of guns ( Dh's, but he can't use them anymore) and believe I could use it if confronted by someone who ment harm to me or my loved ones. I suppose you truly don't know till comfronted with that type of situation. But one thing I learned a long time ago, was noise is a huge deterrent. Barking dogs, car alarms, home alarms, car horn, etc can send the bad guy running. This also tends to be true with animals, which is where I have a little more experience. We have lived in some very out of the way, wilderness settings. And bears have been an issue, nothing like opening the back door to find a bear greeting you or taking a afternoon walk only to crest a hill to find a bear sitting in the middle of the path. And was always told to smack pan's together or in the case of hiking/walking talk loudly on your walk to let the wild things know your coming. (which for me always takes away the from the puprose of enjoying the great outdoors) use a whistle, basically anything to make noise.

So I had this brain storm,
And had heard of and used a form of this suggestion years ago when we live in the middle of no where. But this spring we were going to be camping in the middle of bear country and needed something to carry with me that I didn't have to carry pots and pans on a hike , so I was in wallie world picking up other supplies and saw a Marine/Sport Horn bought it, got it home and decided it was to big to carry on a hike but thought throw it in the trailer just in case we had bears wander in the campsite. Well no bears that trip but I decided to leave it in the trailer after hitting the button on accident ( wow, it's screaching) and thought hmmmmmm, the whole campground would hear that if you depressed it and draw a lot of attention so in theroy it would send the bad guy running. I figure if an intruder were to try and break in, in the middle of the night my first line of defense will be the Horn, if that doesn't scare them off then I will pull the gun. But it at least let's me feel a little safer. I even carried it recently on a road trip, took it into the hotel with me (after traveling as much as I did years ago for work, I don't ever think I am safe in a hotel) would almost rather sleep in my car at the side of the road. Boy could I tell your stories from my and my co-workers experiences. So for another (cheap $6-ish) form of security try blasting them! Of course you will be subjected to the loud noise as well, but your holding it and know the loud noise is coming, though you will still be startled but I figure they have no idea so it will be worse for them. Robin
Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #72

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Too had been walking through WalMart some years ago and saw the little air horns. I purchased two sizes the of which I have no idea where it is. The smaller is stored conveniently in the Scamp.

I had in mind that it would come in handy when I went to Alaska for Bears. I never did need it but I know it was there.

Since that trip I have thought that it will work fine if ever needed for two legged fo's.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #73

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I'll 74 and getting a little slow. Every few months I'll look in on this "full timing ladies" column and enjoy it. But this time I was taken by how much I could learn here for us single old guys.

There have been a couple of times these last few years when I could have used a bear spray or an air horn. and not on bears.

There are a few trips I could have taken and didn't because of the concerns I made up in my own mind. And a few trips I did take that worked out just fine.

And when I did something dumb, like discharging a battery overnight, there was someone to help out.

So Joy, Robin, Donna, Raya, and Karalyn .... lead the way, us old guys will follow

(In the most polite way possible!)
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #74

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Ron, and welcome to the thread.

Reading about the horns reminded me of something I carry, which is a powerful spotlight (I own it for SCUBA diving). I keep it in the car/camper with me, and it can be handy for finding places at night, but also, I think it would be a decent deterrent if necessary. If the beam were shined in someone's eyes I think it would blind them, and confuse their actions.

Of course, like any "weapon," you'd want to be reasonably sure you were not pointing it at a friend in this manner.

I like the light because I already own it anyway, it has other uses, and it's legal to carry through Canada.

Raya

PS: I see they don't make my "D" Battery model anymore (they have newfangled things like LEDs now); mine is shaped like this one but is slightly larger and takes D batteries:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uk_light.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	24824

Here is the page that shows their current dive lights. They do list the lumens so you can tell how bright they will be:

http://www.uwkinetics.com/catalog/category/6

They also have other types of lights, if you back out to their main page and then go in to another category.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #75

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Raya,
I like your idea of carrying a bright spot light as a deterrent. I find the Blue-White LEDs to be particalarly irritating. I normally carry a flare gun for emergencies and it can be used as a weapon. Down side is that it will put a permanent hurt on someone if you hit them and possibly start a wildfire.
Thanks again for the great idea.
Bruce
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #76

Ron, I actually don't full time at this point, but have rv'ed all my life. And had the pleasure of owning a big rig park where we had many single ladies full timing on their own. Due to my husbands illness I basically am on my own even when he's with me. But having a man along does keep the impression of protection, though in his case he wouldn't be able to protect anymore. So I kind of have the theory of Raya, confuse them, or in other words baffle them first hoping the bad guy will run for the hills......................... At the very least think I am a crazy old women and figure they don't want to tangle with me.

I think all and all, just being alert to your surroundings goes a long way to safety. But having a skillet handy to pop the bad guy over the head or the marine/sports horn ready for action just make me feel better and not like a sitting duck.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #77

Registry
Quote:
I gather a lot of couples do this, and single men. But it takes moxy for single women to go 'round full timing, right? Just curious.
I had to look up moxie, as I thought it had a slightly derogatory meaning. But the definition sounds exactly like the qualities I work to develop:
[b]1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.[b]2. Aggressive energy; initiative[b]3. Skill; know-how.
I am not yet full-timing, but have spent years doing things alone that more sheltered women seem to find daunting (like moving around the country, traveling long distances, buying and rebuilding houses). The questions about doing things alone generally come from people who have someone to partner with them (that is what I mean by sheltered) and apparently would not consider traveling, etc. by themselves. I would have missed out on all the richness of my life if I stayed in my "safe" rented apartment because I didn't have a partner to accompany me.

I think of courage, not as being fearless, but as doing what needs to be done even when I am afraid. So courage, and "the ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage", is not inborn but is learned through experience. So, in order to learn to face the "difficulties" of full-timing, it is critical to plan long trips with my egg to gain that experience. I am packing to leave on Monday for Arizona and I am nervous since I count my experience in hauling in terms of minutes, not days! But, I am taking precautions to reduce my anxiety (purchased roadside assistance from Good Sam, plotting route for maximum cell phone coverage, taking two well-trained dogs) and just make myself DO it! Having survived the abuse of childhood and a 15 yr marriage, I feel that if I can learn to have moxie, so can most other women. And now, the adventure continues!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #78

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Anne! Wishing you safe travels as you head west. Bring yourself, the dogs and that MOXIE out to Quartzsite, AZ and say hello! Give a holler if you're in the neighborhood - we'd love to visit. You go, Woman! L 'n D
Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #79

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Quote:
I had to look up moxie, as I thought it had a slightly derogatory meaning. But the definition sounds exactly like the qualities I work to develop:
[b]1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.[b]2. Aggressive energy; initiative[b]3. Skill; know-how.
I am not yet full-timing, but have spent years doing things alone that more sheltered women seem to find daunting (like moving around the country, traveling long distances, buying and rebuilding houses). The questions about doing things alone generally come from people who have someone to partner with them (that is what I mean by sheltered) and apparently would not consider traveling, etc. by themselves. I would have missed out on all the richness of my life if I stayed in my "safe" rented apartment because I didn't have a partner to accompany me.

I think of courage, not as being fearless, but as doing what needs to be done even when I am afraid. So courage, and "the ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage", is not inborn but is learned through experience. So, in order to learn to face the "difficulties" of full-timing, it is critical to plan long trips with my egg to gain that experience. I am packing to leave on Monday for Arizona and I am nervous since I count my experience in hauling in terms of minutes, not days! But, I am taking precautions to reduce my anxiety (purchased roadside assistance from Good Sam, plotting route for maximum cell phone coverage, taking two well-trained dogs) and just make myself DO it! Having survived the abuse of childhood and a 15 yr marriage, I feel that if I can learn to have moxie, so can most other women. And now, the adventure continues!
Good for you!! You will find there's a lot of well wishers on your side. Please keep us posted.
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #80

Registry
Quote:
Hi Anne! Wishing you safe travels as you head west. Bring yourself, the dogs and that MOXIE out to Quartzsite, AZ and say hello! Give a holler if you're in the neighborhood - we'd love to visit. You go, Woman! L 'n D
Awesome! I was reading about Quartzsite yesterday and I decided I'd like to visit sometime on my way to San Diego. I wondered if any FG people were spending the winter there. I've read so many of your posts and I'm excited at the chance to meet you! I will let you know when I'm in the area.

Tags
full timing, fulltiming