Full Timing Ladies? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #101

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
But, we have met many an obstacle and we'll consider this a "speed bump". My son can sit for hours and look at photos of RVs on the internet and he loves nature so................
Cathy, your situation will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you and your son overcome the bumps and red tape. There's got to be a wonderful place waiting for him.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #102

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Cathy, your situation will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you and your son overcome the bumps and red tape. There's got to be a wonderful place waiting for him.
Thank you, Sharon. I got rid of our case management people and the new ones will be coming out and they are more "progressive" with their thoughts. Or, maybe I can get a fire lit under the state government and that would benefit several others!

I once saw a woman full-timing with her son with developmental disabilities in a motorhome. I saw another couple that had a daughter with DD and they snow-birded each year with her. I would not want to do that but they did fine and had a "route" that they followed each year.

I guess where's there a will though that there is a way.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #103

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post

I once saw a woman full-timing with her son with developmental disabilities in a motorhome. I saw another couple that had a daughter with DD and they snow-birded each year with her. I would not want to do that but they did fine and had a "route" that they followed each year.

I guess where's there a will though that there is a way.
Years ago when I camped at Oscar Scherer State Park in Florida, the camp host had a severely disabled son. They had a little trouble with him wandering off, but they were making it work.

Here's hoping that the new case management people can do a better job for you!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #104

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
cathy----my heart goes out to you and your son. may the dream gods work their magic for you.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #105

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
cathy----my heart goes out to you and your son. may the dream gods work their magic for you.
Thank you.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #106

Name: tammy
Trailer: In the Market
New Mexico
Am hoping to 'full time' it in just under a year from now...'Off grid' in a 16' Scamp that I'm in the process of buying.
Are there many other gals out there who have either done this or are doing it? Would love to connect to learn more!
It seems a crazy venture, but will make sure that I have a 'way out' if needed and will recognize if/when a change in plans needs to take place!
Thanks for any replies!
letter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #107

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Solo Rving

Tammy,

The Escapees have a group of man and woman who travel alone. It's one of their Bird of a Feather groups. I believe they also have a Yahoo Web site.

Escapees RV Club

As well they have a good RV Forum with a full timing section.

Escapees Discussion Forum

Most Rv parks are very safe because the people who populate them are respectful of each other and are close enough to watch out for each other.

You know I'm wishing you well

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #108

Name: tammy
Trailer: In the Market
New Mexico
Thanks so much Norm! As always, you've been a 'wealth'!
letter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #109

Name: Cat
Trailer: Uhaul CT
Maryland
I'm in my 20's and have been full time on the road for about 6 years. The UHaul and massive dog are a recent addition to it this year.
Admittedly, I recently took a few late fall/winters off to stay with family and finish my degree. Still, as a kiddo I had been traveling on my own since 14 riding buses and squatting. Not a problem kid, no drugs, just a weirdo.

Safety is a huge concern for many women who want to travel on their own, but personally I've found the best remedy to shady situations is confidence, attitude, and plain not going to obvious trouble. If you act like you know what you're doing and you've done it a million times people don't mess with you. Ner-do-wellers are looking for victims and easy marks, not a fight. If you get a weird feeling, there's probably a reason for it. Even if you do run in to trouble reacting with annoyance and fury fends off those who are expecting fear.
While sleeping at a rest stop, I chased off a man petting my face through the window with a plastic lime green airsoft gun. If you knock on road side bathroom door and someone says "Come in", understand that you don't have to pee that bad. If the elderly owner of a hotel in AR offers to make you a sandwich if you keep him company.. well.. That's one of those troubles you just avoid. Proclaiming my love for an imaginary boyfriend got him to unlock the door and let me out on that one.

Still, out of all the people I have met on the road these are a rare. Also, shaving in a mohawk won't hurt.
All in all, it really saddens me to think that women feel they can't do this for the simple fact they are women and possible victims. The threat isn't as big as the news makes it seem. Seize you day and see the world.
SnappleofDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #110

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
If you ladies live on the road and don't want to meet single men while traveling, where then will you meet them?

Men or women should take the same precautions.

Keep a cell phone and small pocket sized gun on you or in your purse. There are lots of small guns being produced today.

Forget about big mean dogs. Get a protective watch dog like a terrier if you don't have one. Keep your dog with you while walking around.

I think it is silly to put out a mans boots or shirt unless you wear these yourself.

Don't be afraid of single men approaching you unless you want to stay single. Many women lump all men into the pool of potential rapists. It is insulting to men. Keep those thoughts to yourself but do stand your ground and don't be pressured into doing anything you don't want to do. Treat men with the same respect you expect for yourself.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #111

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Forget the gun ! Too many accidents happen in these cases. Better with pepper spray or "rape alarm".
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #112

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
If you ladies live on the road and don't want to meet single men while traveling, where then will you meet them?

Men or women should take the same precautions.

Keep a cell phone and small pocket sized gun on you or in your purse. There are lots of small guns being produced today.

Forget about big mean dogs. Get a protective watch dog like a terrier if you don't have one. Keep your dog with you while walking around.

I think it is silly to put out a mans boots or shirt unless you wear these yourself.

Don't be afraid of single men approaching you unless you want to stay single. Many women lump all men into the pool of potential rapists. It is insulting to men. Keep those thoughts to yourself but do stand your ground and don't be pressured into doing anything you don't want to do. Treat men with the same respect you expect for yourself.

Seriously???? Geezz as a female who often travels on her own I sure as heck hope most of the above advise was given in jest!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #113

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I'm in my 60s, female and don't hesitate to travel on my own. I don't full-time but would do it in a heartbeat if my situation would allow me to do that. I think you just need to be smart about where you decide to camp. If its not in RV parks (BLM land or state and local parks,etc) do some research. I've met great and interesting people camping and never any wierdos--not that they aren't out there. Just be aware of your surroundings. If you feel like you do need something to protect yourself, police recommend using a can of wasp spray. Works better than pepper spray, and certainly can be useful in the great outdoors too. And yes, I agree that men should be treated with respect as well. I find that men are as interesting as the women on the road, but I'm not looking to "meet" anyone for any kind of relationship, and have found that true of the men I've met while camping. Just have fun and enjoy life while you can. I am never afraid to try new adventures simply because I'm a woman. You can sit safely at home or get out on the road and explore people and places that truely make your life richer.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #114

Registry
Well put Linda. Being aware of your surroundings is great advise. I have more than once on my travels stopping at a places I though I was going to camp at but after taking at good look around at who/what else was there my gut has told me camping there probable wasn't a great idea, so moved on.

I hadnt heard the wasp spray suggestion before - like it. I often camp in bear country (even my own back yard) I usually have a can or two of bear spray handy at home and the trailer.

Also agree that the men we meet should be treated with respect but I would hope that most of us, men and women alike treating *everyone* that we meet while traveling with respect regardless of whether they are man/women/child, young or old is important. I also suspect that assuming that because someone is traveling on their own that they are wanting to meet a member of the opposite sex, is a pretty dangerous assumption to be making that could lead to all sorts of awkward discussions/situations

But as we have the guys here on a "Full timing Ladies" thread dispensing advise here is one for the guys who may be following this thread with the hopes of meeting a single women who loves to camp. If a women pulling a trailer shows up, I highly recommend that you don't go over putting on your big macho swag and spit something out like "Hi there pretty little lady, nice little rig you've got there. Suppose your gonna need some help backing it into that spot you've picked & setting her all up." Trust me the odds of getting invited to share a fire or a cold beer later whether the women you are addressing is single, married or not interested in men period, pretty well headed south the moment the words suggesting that perhaps they cant do it on their own came out of your mouth. Not saying that offering to help them isn't a good thing or appreciated - its all in the delivery. Get it right and you have a much better shot at getting an invite to share a cold one or a fire whether or not they are wanting a male companion or not.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #115

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I've been travelling alone for many years. I started with a tent, my dog with a car. Moved on to a motorcycle and a tent and travelled all over Canada and USA....alone. Except, of course I'm not alone.

Now I have my camper and my cat for company.

There are so many wonderful, friendly people out there. And I've been privileged to meet so many of them.

Lots of good advice here. Be confident, be aware of your surroundings, be smart about where you stop, listen to your gut.

Travelling like this is suppose to be fun...enjoyable. If you think you may feel vunerable, or nervous, find some like-minded friends and make plans with them. However you do it, get out there and make memories!
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #116

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

Seriously???? Geezz as a female who often travels on her own I sure as heck hope most of the above advise was given in jest!
Maybe you should stay home.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #117

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ok, well anyone alone needs to always take a certain level of pre-cautions. Im a big guy and 1 little 90 year old lady with a gun will get my wallet every time lol. I am not going to carry a gun, sorry. If you feel that uncomfortable then I would recomend staying in a well lit campground.

I generally am a good judge of character and go with my gut instincts and have made it this far. There are all kinds of interestingly odd people out there to meet I wouldn't be so focussed on the negative. Last summer I was at a music festival and had to park a distance away because they wouldn't let my little gypsy vardo down in the tent area. As the place filled up, a bunch of college aged guys ended up camping across from me...we probably each gave the other the hairy eye lol but ended hanging out together shareing food and had a great time. Sometimes a situation is much simpler then we read into it.

I usually help out on arrival day, (packing up is all on you lol) and have gotten hit on numerous times just because Im kinda happy go lucky... usually after a quick explanation...its all good!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #118

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Maybe you should stay home.
LOL Why? Travel is a big part of my life. I have managed to travel many times all by my little self to many parts of the world both on personal and professional trips and have managed to get by just fine without any real scary situations to report. Only one memorable not so great incident which actually happen in the lobby of a five star hotel in downtown Antwerp
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #119

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I usually travel alone and always alone when I travel in Mouse because my husband is 6'3" and working.

My trailer would never be the first target of a thief - any other RV/TT looks like a richer target than Mouse.

I am always happy to talk with other travelers and tend to have a great time with everyone.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #120

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I have always camped alone...Never had a husband or man friend who liked the outdoors like I do. Sometimes being alone in the woods is an awesome experience,
you become atuned with mother nature utilizing your senses. While in campgrounds I have met wonderful people, some of whom have become great friends. I have not been afraid, alert, yes. Having said that...over years in our National Forests and National Parks I am sorry to say serious crimes have accured. Recently in my little neck of the woods a harmful faction. I no longer have my good dog companion. Now I am at a point and age that I have made the decision to carry a weapon. While hoping to never have to use it. It makes me somewhat angry that it has come to this as it goes against everything I have beleived in. I will not make a big deal of this or dwell on it futher.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming