Full Timing Ladies? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #121

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
traveling alone

I have been studying my family history and genealogy and use it to find where these folks were, how they got there and why. They came across the plains during the gold rush, lots of sites to see, wagon ruts on prairies or scars on rocks. Springs where they filled up their barrels or containers with water. How their oxen or mules were cared for. etc. etc. How very interesting to me to actually walk in their footsteps to see the mountains they traveled over and to photograph their journey. Makes the story more interesting than just plain genealogy. The historic story that goes with their travels almost means more to me than the family tree. That is why I travel, no long term jaunts, but enough in the western states to see a lot of what they saw. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #122

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Don't get caught up by the fear mongers. News stories are only news because they are rare occurrences. About 40,000 people die every year in auto accidents but we drive without a second thought. Out in the wild, we worry about bears, but bee stings kill the most people.

I find it helpful to live by statistics, not anecdotes. Get out and enjoy yourself and look out for the well being of others.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #123

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Marg am also attempting to record the family history and trying to make it of some interest to the younger members of my family by making it more than just names and dates. Have on a number of times incorporated areas to go to on my travels that I am aware some of my family history is in. Found some very nice areas to camp at as a result that I may not have travel there if I were not on the hunt :-) You are right it truly is amazing to follow ancestors foot steps as it often makes you realize how easy we have it today. Many areas have small Historical Societies that you can stop in to and some hold many old photos and records and newspapers that have not been digitized that you many not otherwise be aware of. I managed to obtained from one small history society the original marriage certificate for my 4th great grandparents all handwritten as they had meet and been married at what was then only a Fort. They also had a few pictures of the family to share with me. Apparently some distant cousin had donated those documents and photos to that society some years prior when they sold off an old family home in the area. Walking through grave yards can also result in having a brick wall or two being knocked down, as well as tell some interesting stories of what life must have been like for the residents of that area and result in another place or two in the area you need to go check out. One of my direct ancestors had been my brick wall, he simple vanished from all historical records in North America, leaving behind a young family. It wasn't until I read his parents headstone that I discovered where/when he had died and was able to trace him through other records in that country to discover why he had gone there and never returned. That of course has resulted in my having added one more country to my bucket list of places I need to go see but sadly I cant get there with the trailer :-(
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #124

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I am so glad to see that there are others interested in traveling in their ansesters' footpaths! I have done this as well on some of my journeys...so much fun to learn and imagine what life was like for them. So much more is added to your history than just birthdates and death dates. Also love putting the pieces of the puzzel together.
HA! Have fun out there!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #125

Registry
I once saw a bumper sticker that I thought would be a good one for women camping on their own to put on their trailers bumper that read:

"That's not a stick family in my window, those are confirmed kills"

Only down side to the above is one would have to mess up the view out the back window of the trailer with a bunch of stick people.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #126

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I once saw a bumper sticker that I thought would be a good one for women camping on their own to put on their trailers bumper that read:

"That's not a stick family in my window, those are confirmed kills"

Only down side to the above is one would have to mess up the view out the back window of the trailer with a bunch of stick people.
Lol if that was the case I wouldn't be able to see out my window... oops did I say that out loud

I've traveled my families journey....from Ellis island to Perth Amboy NJ lol. Not so exciting

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #127

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have been reading a couple of RV "vagabonding" websites and have become fascinated by the lifestyle. One is: rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more and the other I just started reading this week: Cheaprvliving.com and I really enjoy them. Both are choke full of commonsense advice and wisdom. I don't think you are safe anywhere anymore so why bother over-thinking the whole thing. We moved to a new neighborhood in Nov and on Thanksgiving, 2 pitbulls got out of their pen and came after my dogs but, as they charged toward us, I didn't know what they would do. I was lucky to have my "Knuckle Blaster" by Zap with me and although I could not make good contact, I was able to discourage them with it each time they tried to grab one of my dogs. Now, I had to make the choice on whether to ever go out for a walk again with my dogs but this was not a good experience but still I handled it. I did purchase a Zap baton with 4 hot spots which I think would have made the situation go a little better. Dog bites are very frequent here as I was talking to a policemen in the wee hours of the morning about a barking dog. I love these ZAP products. I got a free pepper spray but it is still wrapped. I am angry enough to harm someone because I am so tired of the people that are limiting our freedom to live our lives. My dogs are pretty good at determining who we do and don't want to visit with. I was in the military years and years ago and when I look back to traveling by myself and just going places in bigger cities (I grew up in a town of 2,000 as a shy child), well, I kept my guardian angel hopping! I am learning that "what ifs" will consume you and take your life away. At 58, I am asking myself every day what it is that I want to spend the rest of my time doing and I am sure what I am doing now isn't it. I appreciate quality over quantity any day. So, maybe I want to be an RVing vagabond. I love pretty places and meeting lots of different types of people. Freedom.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #128

Virginia
Go for it Cathy, life is short!

Deryk, I think it took a whole lot of guts to leave your life as you knew it and go to the place called "Ellis Island" to start anew... you can be proud.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #129

New Jersey
Registry
Diane I was just bein silly after your post...Ellis Island is where the statue of liberty is and then they took the ferry across the bay to Perth Amboy NJ

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #130

Virginia

Deryk, thank goodness!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #131

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I camp alone, beause my hubby does not like camping.

So I camp in safer areas, have my cellphone on me, and my hornet spray, lock my door at night, and just go with the statistics that more people are going to wind up being 'safe' than not.

I suppose could just stay safely at home, but I like camping much better!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #132

Virginia
Thanks Cathy P. I loved reading the Blog by RVSue and her Canine Crew!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #133

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I camp alone, my hubby does not like it.

So I camp in safer areas, have my cellphone on me, and my hornet spray, lock my door at night, and just go with the statistics that more people are going to wind up being 'safe' than not.

I suppose could just stay safely at home, but I like camping much better!!
It's just called common sense Pam. Safety at home is about the same as safety on the road. I'm just as careful at home as I am on the road.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #134

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I do believe I read somewhere that 50% of people die at home and another 25% die within 20 miles of home... so, I figure if I'm at LEAST 100 miles from home I'll live longer! GO, DO... MAKE MEMORIES!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #135

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
How funny Donna! They also say laughter is the best medicine and you just gave me a good dose, so you've helped my longevity as well. Happy trails to you and a long life!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #136

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I do believe I read somewhere that 50% of people die at home and another 25% die within 20 miles of home... so, I figure if I'm at LEAST 100 miles from home I'll live longer! GO, DO... MAKE MEMORIES!
Add to that according to the National Automobile Dealers Association, motor vehicle crashes are the number one cause of work-related fatalities in the United States.

So Donna not only do we need to stay at least 100 miles from home but everyone needs to retire early
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #137

New Jersey
Registry
Like everything in life, take it easy, use a little common sense and things will work out exactly the way they are going to work out.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #138

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
RVing is a minimalst life style, particularly in a small fiberglass trailer. To me this means less stress which equates to the possibility of a longer life.

Go slow, see much, be stimulated by every day and share your smile.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #139

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I love the turn this thread has taken. Accentuate the positive.......don't dwell on the 'might' happen. Camping is about relaxing and enjoying nature and the company of like-minded friends. What could be better?!
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #140

New Jersey
Registry
Well, lets be honest, the reaper will come for us 1 day... no point in dwelling on it. Im very solitary by nature and started going to NYC at 16, alone. I just follow the same strategy I did then I hold myself upright, I have a postive mental attitude, Be Self Assured, Be Confident.

Honestly, the criminal element looks for an easy mark, someone who looks timid and afraid because they are not as likely to resist. Don't be that person...ever!

There is so much amazing things to see and do, and sitting home afraid is boreing. Don't take obvious risks and if your gut tells ya something(besides FEED ME lol) listen to it.

And have fun kids!

Tags
full timing, fulltiming