Full Timing Ladies? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #141

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Back to full-timing ladies (that sounds so naughty!)...I only have my 2 or 3 week tops vacations from work, but I've informed the man at home that I am paying extra special attention to the retirement accounts because there's no way I'm going to keep working for a minute longer than I have to. Pretty much the day after I retire, I'm hitting the road. He'll be full professor before long, and he can keep showing up after age 65ish if he wants to because it'll be pretty easy at that point. He can join me when the semesters aren't in session!

My game plan is to use the heck out of the 13' Burro that I've put so much effort into fixing up between now and then, and in the meantime I've started up a little investment account that with some luck and planning will spend the next 15 or so years growing into a pile of cash to buy a 16 or 17 foot something-or-other. Maybe a Parkliner, but maybe there will be some other cool new manufacturers in the biz by then.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #142

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
What a great thread! I am always amused when people (men as well as women) assume a woman needs to be with a man to be safe. The only time I was ever mugged -- and at knifepoint -- I was with a male companion.

In contrast, over the last 40 years I've traveled alone on 3 continents -- driving, using public transportation, and occasionally hitchhiking -- and had no problems at all. Certainly there are some nasty people in the world, but there are many, many more nice ones.

I don't have my egg yet, but I really can't imagine the safety issues will be any different!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #143

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Thank you Louise,

The amount of fear expressed is sometimes is overwhelming. One can always point to a bad situation because they do happen. Fortunately in general the good well out weighs the bad.

Wishing you well in your future travels....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #144

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Hi, I am going part-time really 3/4 time this year to see if I can do it! Yes, I have some lil fear but going for it anyway! Scamp might be too difficult but only one way to know! Have had many physical challenges but nothing really ever stops me from trying! Did a 5,000 mi solo last year motel 6 know far from the same but I had been told needed a surgery just the same. I smiled did it and now it's time for the Scamp..too much road and too few years! Waited way too long soo watch out as soon as mine is ready to roll I am ready!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #145

Colorado
Smile Backing!

I have concerns to about backing up,like you plan to take short trips first..like my 90 young friend said "aw if worse happens just do a pull through and don't unhitch". Sounds like a plan to me..but I want to learn to back and will be good at it before end of summer!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #146

Colorado
That's great Donna!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #147

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Anita, I still consider myself learning about towing... backing up does take some practice and Im still working on it. When I brought my ParkLiner home from the weekend to my parents house(where I store it), the neighbor had his minivan parked in an awkward spot across from their driveway and it took me about a dozen times of backing up pulling forward till I got it into the spot I wanted the ParkLiner to be in so its not an inconvenience to my parents. It's not so hard... just keep plugging away until you have it where ya want it to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #148

Colorado
Thanx derky is it okay to call you if I get stuck? Just kidding..considering I was backing my car up great legally blind think I will recall the backing of a pop-up 20yrs ago! But I will keep the Internet on just in case I need some coaching!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #149

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Before I try to park my new-to-me Hunter in public I'm going to go to an empty parking lot and practice. (I'm also getting a tongue jack with a wheel. I have been know to unhitch, push my trailer where it need to go and rehitch)
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #150

Colorado
Me too in practicing..can't push though..getting electric jack for front..have to have some help now and then I am sure! Not afraid to ask sure don't know it all! But again I will try!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #151

Colorado
Have a question for full timers. I am in the process & organizing. Where is the most common and safest place tp put important paperwork? I figure towing vehicle. I have thing that will stay in safe deposit back. I pay most bills by credit but there is always so much paperwork I want to simplify simplify! Thank you!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #152

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The only important papers we carry are auto and trailer insurance policies, a book of checks (for gifting) and our passports. Checks in trailer and rest in Honda.

We only get our mail forwarded about once a month and pay all bills on line thru our smart phone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #153

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Will you be carrying a lap top with you? I really recommend using a hand held scanner then downloading to your computer or a disk. That way you can shred un-wanted paper work or leave in your safety deposit box.
As for other important paperwork that you feel you need to carry with you, scan it to a disk, carry the copy that way the original is safe in your safety deposit box. Many banks as well as credit card company's etc are really pushing for us to go paperless, so you can get all your statements through email.

This one seems a little pricey. I have seen them less expensive but at least gives you an idea of what I am talking about. http://www.officezilla.com/p-1016503...Fehr7AodT08AQw
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #154

Colorado
Thank you both, knew there had to be a way to simplify! I will check out scanner, great idea about CD, I usually scan disk most things, often thought about getting a drive and putting all my medical on sure would make simpler. Again thanks for great info.. You are just a great group!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #155

Name: Caitlin
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Well I'm in LOVE with this thread! I am not fulltiming as I am a mere 35 with two young children - and a husband. That said he can't leave town in the spring and summer so I always do our camping alone. I got a Trillium 1300 last year to make it easier on me, so we can just get up and go.

I've never been afraid camping alone, it didn't even occur to me! There are so many bears up here that's all I've put any energy into.

We only did a couple of trips last year but the trailer was so great for when we went to stay with out of town friends who didn't really have enough room for us in our house. Essential really.

This year we're doing 3 trips. One for 6 days, one for 10 days and another for 8 days. I'm also lending () our trailer out twice. Once to my absolute best friend in the world who is considering buying a trailer and using ours as a sort of test drive for her family, and another to our ex-nanny (I quit my job to stay at home with the kids, hence all the trips) in return for some childcare I'll really need in the fall. I'm nervous but they are both very responsible conscientious people so I'm giving it a shot. That is actually more nervewracking to me than going out alone HAHA

Anyway, I have always loved camping. I always will. It's not the same in a trailer as it is in a tent, but in some ways it's better. I appreciate how much more camping I can do here on the Wet Coast and that with a 4 year old and a 6 year old we can take off on a Friday afternoon and be set up in a campsite and ready for bed at 8

I'm looking forward to future summers with older kids travelling further abroad - I'm sticking to my home province this year. At some point I intend to take off for the whole summer and cross canada. Some point while they're still small enough to sleep in the bunks that is.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #156

Colorado
Spins like you have so many travels ahead and what great memories for the kids. Wish I knew about these when raising mine. We tented mostly, but I was a spur at the moment Mom so come home and Friday nite off on the road new adventure. Good for you and welcome to this wonderful site!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #157

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeitall View Post
Spins like you have so many travels ahead and what great memories for the kids. Wish I knew about these when raising mine. We tented mostly, but I was a spur at the moment Mom so come home and Friday nite off on the road new adventure. Good for you and welcome to this wonderful site!
Sounds..darn iPad!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #158

Name: Caitlin
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeitall View Post
Thank you!

I only found out about these awesome egg trailers from a friend at work. She was hoping to get one and we oohed and aahed over them together for years. I bought one but she still needs to do hers.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #159

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Solo Women RVing

I came across the coolest website today when doing some research about solo women rving. There is youtube with a 73 year old that just started full-timing and many other stories: RVing Neighbors - Solo Women RVers
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #160

Colorado
Yes I watched video I sure admire her! My grandmother at 71 would go to Oregon in truck every summer till she was78 young sleep in back of truck and camp all summer..

Tags
full timing, fulltiming