Full Timing Ladies? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #99

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Cathy, I am SO glad that you found a good place to help care for your son. I have a nephew in similar circumstances, and he is thriving under excellent care where he is now living.

I am also so glad that you have open horizons now. It sounds like it's finally your time to fly.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #100

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Cathy, I am SO glad that you found a good place to help care for your son. I have a nephew in similar circumstances, and he is thriving under excellent care where he is now living.

I am also so glad that you have open horizons now. It sounds like it's finally your time to fly.
Unfortunately, the State of Kansas uses contractors and they have the ability to block anyone from entering any of the programs in the state by having an admissions procedure where they pick those that require the least amount of services. Unfortunately, my son needs a level of supervision that exceeds their monetary comfort level. So, I am regrouping and focusing right now and making the government officials explain and justify the system that has been created. But, we have met many an obstacle and we'll consider this a "speed bump". My son can sit for hours and look at photos of RVs on the internet and he loves nature so................

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #101

Georgia
Quote:
But, we have met many an obstacle and we'll consider this a "speed bump". My son can sit for hours and look at photos of RVs on the internet and he loves nature so................
Cathy, your situation will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you and your son overcome the bumps and red tape. There's got to be a wonderful place waiting for him.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #102

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Cathy, your situation will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you and your son overcome the bumps and red tape. There's got to be a wonderful place waiting for him.
Thank you, Sharon. I got rid of our case management people and the new ones will be coming out and they are more "progressive" with their thoughts. Or, maybe I can get a fire lit under the state government and that would benefit several others!

I once saw a woman full-timing with her son with developmental disabilities in a motorhome. I saw another couple that had a daughter with DD and they snow-birded each year with her. I would not want to do that but they did fine and had a "route" that they followed each year.

I guess where's there a will though that there is a way.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #103

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post

I once saw a woman full-timing with her son with developmental disabilities in a motorhome. I saw another couple that had a daughter with DD and they snow-birded each year with her. I would not want to do that but they did fine and had a "route" that they followed each year.

I guess where's there a will though that there is a way.
Years ago when I camped at Oscar Scherer State Park in Florida, the camp host had a severely disabled son. They had a little trouble with him wandering off, but they were making it work.

Here's hoping that the new case management people can do a better job for you!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #104

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
cathy----my heart goes out to you and your son. may the dream gods work their magic for you.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #105

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
cathy----my heart goes out to you and your son. may the dream gods work their magic for you.
Thank you.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #106

Name: tammy
New Mexico
Am hoping to 'full time' it in just under a year from now...'Off grid' in a 16' Scamp that I'm in the process of buying.
Are there many other gals out there who have either done this or are doing it? Would love to connect to learn more!
It seems a crazy venture, but will make sure that I have a 'way out' if needed and will recognize if/when a change in plans needs to take place!
Thanks for any replies!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #107

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Solo Rving

Tammy,

The Escapees have a group of man and woman who travel alone. It's one of their Bird of a Feather groups. I believe they also have a Yahoo Web site.

Escapees RV Club

As well they have a good RV Forum with a full timing section.

Escapees Discussion Forum

Most Rv parks are very safe because the people who populate them are respectful of each other and are close enough to watch out for each other.

You know I'm wishing you well

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #108

Name: tammy
New Mexico
Thanks so much Norm! As always, you've been a 'wealth'!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #109

Name: Cat
Trailer: Uhaul CT
Maryland
I'm in my 20's and have been full time on the road for about 6 years. The UHaul and massive dog are a recent addition to it this year.
Admittedly, I recently took a few late fall/winters off to stay with family and finish my degree. Still, as a kiddo I had been traveling on my own since 14 riding buses and squatting. Not a problem kid, no drugs, just a weirdo.

Safety is a huge concern for many women who want to travel on their own, but personally I've found the best remedy to shady situations is confidence, attitude, and plain not going to obvious trouble. If you act like you know what you're doing and you've done it a million times people don't mess with you. Ner-do-wellers are looking for victims and easy marks, not a fight. If you get a weird feeling, there's probably a reason for it. Even if you do run in to trouble reacting with annoyance and fury fends off those who are expecting fear.
While sleeping at a rest stop, I chased off a man petting my face through the window with a plastic lime green airsoft gun. If you knock on road side bathroom door and someone says "Come in", understand that you don't have to pee that bad. If the elderly owner of a hotel in AR offers to make you a sandwich if you keep him company.. well.. That's one of those troubles you just avoid. Proclaiming my love for an imaginary boyfriend got him to unlock the door and let me out on that one.

Still, out of all the people I have met on the road these are a rare. Also, shaving in a mohawk won't hurt.
All in all, it really saddens me to think that women feel they can't do this for the simple fact they are women and possible victims. The threat isn't as big as the news makes it seem. Seize you day and see the world.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #110

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
If you ladies live on the road and don't want to meet single men while traveling, where then will you meet them?

Men or women should take the same precautions.

Keep a cell phone and small pocket sized gun on you or in your purse. There are lots of small guns being produced today.

Forget about big mean dogs. Get a protective watch dog like a terrier if you don't have one. Keep your dog with you while walking around.

I think it is silly to put out a mans boots or shirt unless you wear these yourself.

Don't be afraid of single men approaching you unless you want to stay single. Many women lump all men into the pool of potential rapists. It is insulting to men. Keep those thoughts to yourself but do stand your ground and don't be pressured into doing anything you don't want to do. Treat men with the same respect you expect for yourself.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #111

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Forget the gun ! Too many accidents happen in these cases. Better with pepper spray or "rape alarm".
Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #112

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
If you ladies live on the road and don't want to meet single men while traveling, where then will you meet them?

Men or women should take the same precautions.

Keep a cell phone and small pocket sized gun on you or in your purse. There are lots of small guns being produced today.

Forget about big mean dogs. Get a protective watch dog like a terrier if you don't have one. Keep your dog with you while walking around.

I think it is silly to put out a mans boots or shirt unless you wear these yourself.

Don't be afraid of single men approaching you unless you want to stay single. Many women lump all men into the pool of potential rapists. It is insulting to men. Keep those thoughts to yourself but do stand your ground and don't be pressured into doing anything you don't want to do. Treat men with the same respect you expect for yourself.

Seriously???? Geezz as a female who often travels on her own I sure as heck hope most of the above advise was given in jest!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming