Full Timing Ladies? - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #113

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I'm in my 60s, female and don't hesitate to travel on my own. I don't full-time but would do it in a heartbeat if my situation would allow me to do that. I think you just need to be smart about where you decide to camp. If its not in RV parks (BLM land or state and local parks,etc) do some research. I've met great and interesting people camping and never any wierdos--not that they aren't out there. Just be aware of your surroundings. If you feel like you do need something to protect yourself, police recommend using a can of wasp spray. Works better than pepper spray, and certainly can be useful in the great outdoors too. And yes, I agree that men should be treated with respect as well. I find that men are as interesting as the women on the road, but I'm not looking to "meet" anyone for any kind of relationship, and have found that true of the men I've met while camping. Just have fun and enjoy life while you can. I am never afraid to try new adventures simply because I'm a woman. You can sit safely at home or get out on the road and explore people and places that truely make your life richer.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #114

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Well put Linda. Being aware of your surroundings is great advise. I have more than once on my travels stopping at a places I though I was going to camp at but after taking at good look around at who/what else was there my gut has told me camping there probable wasn't a great idea, so moved on.

I hadnt heard the wasp spray suggestion before - like it. I often camp in bear country (even my own back yard) I usually have a can or two of bear spray handy at home and the trailer.

Also agree that the men we meet should be treated with respect but I would hope that most of us, men and women alike treating *everyone* that we meet while traveling with respect regardless of whether they are man/women/child, young or old is important. I also suspect that assuming that because someone is traveling on their own that they are wanting to meet a member of the opposite sex, is a pretty dangerous assumption to be making that could lead to all sorts of awkward discussions/situations

But as we have the guys here on a "Full timing Ladies" thread dispensing advise here is one for the guys who may be following this thread with the hopes of meeting a single women who loves to camp. If a women pulling a trailer shows up, I highly recommend that you don't go over putting on your big macho swag and spit something out like "Hi there pretty little lady, nice little rig you've got there. Suppose your gonna need some help backing it into that spot you've picked & setting her all up." Trust me the odds of getting invited to share a fire or a cold beer later whether the women you are addressing is single, married or not interested in men period, pretty well headed south the moment the words suggesting that perhaps they cant do it on their own came out of your mouth. Not saying that offering to help them isn't a good thing or appreciated - its all in the delivery. Get it right and you have a much better shot at getting an invite to share a cold one or a fire whether or not they are wanting a male companion or not.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #115

Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I've been travelling alone for many years. I started with a tent, my dog with a car. Moved on to a motorcycle and a tent and travelled all over Canada and USA....alone. Except, of course I'm not alone.

Now I have my camper and my cat for company.

There are so many wonderful, friendly people out there. And I've been privileged to meet so many of them.

Lots of good advice here. Be confident, be aware of your surroundings, be smart about where you stop, listen to your gut.

Travelling like this is suppose to be fun...enjoyable. If you think you may feel vunerable, or nervous, find some like-minded friends and make plans with them. However you do it, get out there and make memories!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #116

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

Seriously???? Geezz as a female who often travels on her own I sure as heck hope most of the above advise was given in jest!
Maybe you should stay home.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #117

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ok, well anyone alone needs to always take a certain level of pre-cautions. Im a big guy and 1 little 90 year old lady with a gun will get my wallet every time lol. I am not going to carry a gun, sorry. If you feel that uncomfortable then I would recomend staying in a well lit campground.

I generally am a good judge of character and go with my gut instincts and have made it this far. There are all kinds of interestingly odd people out there to meet I wouldn't be so focussed on the negative. Last summer I was at a music festival and had to park a distance away because they wouldn't let my little gypsy vardo down in the tent area. As the place filled up, a bunch of college aged guys ended up camping across from me...we probably each gave the other the hairy eye lol but ended hanging out together shareing food and had a great time. Sometimes a situation is much simpler then we read into it.

I usually help out on arrival day, (packing up is all on you lol) and have gotten hit on numerous times just because Im kinda happy go lucky... usually after a quick explanation...its all good!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #118

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Maybe you should stay home.
LOL Why? Travel is a big part of my life. I have managed to travel many times all by my little self to many parts of the world both on personal and professional trips and have managed to get by just fine without any real scary situations to report. Only one memorable not so great incident which actually happen in the lobby of a five star hotel in downtown Antwerp
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #119

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I usually travel alone and always alone when I travel in Mouse because my husband is 6'3" and working.

My trailer would never be the first target of a thief - any other RV/TT looks like a richer target than Mouse.

I am always happy to talk with other travelers and tend to have a great time with everyone.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #120

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
I have always camped alone...Never had a husband or man friend who liked the outdoors like I do. Sometimes being alone in the woods is an awesome experience,
you become atuned with mother nature utilizing your senses. While in campgrounds I have met wonderful people, some of whom have become great friends. I have not been afraid, alert, yes. Having said that...over years in our National Forests and National Parks I am sorry to say serious crimes have accured. Recently in my little neck of the woods a harmful faction. I no longer have my good dog companion. Now I am at a point and age that I have made the decision to carry a weapon. While hoping to never have to use it. It makes me somewhat angry that it has come to this as it goes against everything I have beleived in. I will not make a big deal of this or dwell on it futher.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #121

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
traveling alone

I have been studying my family history and genealogy and use it to find where these folks were, how they got there and why. They came across the plains during the gold rush, lots of sites to see, wagon ruts on prairies or scars on rocks. Springs where they filled up their barrels or containers with water. How their oxen or mules were cared for. etc. etc. How very interesting to me to actually walk in their footsteps to see the mountains they traveled over and to photograph their journey. Makes the story more interesting than just plain genealogy. The historic story that goes with their travels almost means more to me than the family tree. That is why I travel, no long term jaunts, but enough in the western states to see a lot of what they saw. Marg in NW California
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #122

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Don't get caught up by the fear mongers. News stories are only news because they are rare occurrences. About 40,000 people die every year in auto accidents but we drive without a second thought. Out in the wild, we worry about bears, but bee stings kill the most people.

I find it helpful to live by statistics, not anecdotes. Get out and enjoy yourself and look out for the well being of others.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #123

British Columbia
Registry
Marg am also attempting to record the family history and trying to make it of some interest to the younger members of my family by making it more than just names and dates. Have on a number of times incorporated areas to go to on my travels that I am aware some of my family history is in. Found some very nice areas to camp at as a result that I may not have travel there if I were not on the hunt :-) You are right it truly is amazing to follow ancestors foot steps as it often makes you realize how easy we have it today. Many areas have small Historical Societies that you can stop in to and some hold many old photos and records and newspapers that have not been digitized that you many not otherwise be aware of. I managed to obtained from one small history society the original marriage certificate for my 4th great grandparents all handwritten as they had meet and been married at what was then only a Fort. They also had a few pictures of the family to share with me. Apparently some distant cousin had donated those documents and photos to that society some years prior when they sold off an old family home in the area. Walking through grave yards can also result in having a brick wall or two being knocked down, as well as tell some interesting stories of what life must have been like for the residents of that area and result in another place or two in the area you need to go check out. One of my direct ancestors had been my brick wall, he simple vanished from all historical records in North America, leaving behind a young family. It wasn't until I read his parents headstone that I discovered where/when he had died and was able to trace him through other records in that country to discover why he had gone there and never returned. That of course has resulted in my having added one more country to my bucket list of places I need to go see but sadly I cant get there with the trailer :-(
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #124

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
I am so glad to see that there are others interested in traveling in their ansesters' footpaths! I have done this as well on some of my journeys...so much fun to learn and imagine what life was like for them. So much more is added to your history than just birthdates and death dates. Also love putting the pieces of the puzzel together.
HA! Have fun out there!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #125

British Columbia
Registry
I once saw a bumper sticker that I thought would be a good one for women camping on their own to put on their trailers bumper that read:

"That's not a stick family in my window, those are confirmed kills"

Only down side to the above is one would have to mess up the view out the back window of the trailer with a bunch of stick people.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #126

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I once saw a bumper sticker that I thought would be a good one for women camping on their own to put on their trailers bumper that read:

"That's not a stick family in my window, those are confirmed kills"

Only down side to the above is one would have to mess up the view out the back window of the trailer with a bunch of stick people.
Lol if that was the case I wouldn't be able to see out my window... oops did I say that out loud

I've traveled my families journey....from Ellis island to Perth Amboy NJ lol. Not so exciting

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming