Full Timing Ladies? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
I gather a lot of couples do this, and single men. But it takes moxy for single women to go 'round full timing, right? Just curious.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I intend to be one. I don't know about moxy. I just want to get outta here.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I gather a lot of couples do this, and single men. But it takes moxy for single women to go 'round full timing, right? Just curious.
Here is a story about one.

http://www.rvwest.com/features/nov/f...ervliving.html

brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for Joei.... she could be my hero!

There's also: Loners On Wheels, they even own an RV Park in Deming, NM if one was looking for a homebase: LoW-HI RV Ranch
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
We are camping in Gila Bend, AZ at Augie's Quail Trail RV Park. There are three women here that travel alone. One has a class A motor home, one has a very large 5th wheel and the other has a class C. We had a cake and ice cream social in the rec. hall this afternoon and they all were having the time of their lives. Yes, women can and do RV alone and have fun doing it.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
My grandmother did this for a time. As a single gal beyond that certain age, she LOVED it. The company was always great, she saw beautiful scenery, and those she met were full of piss n' vinegar, just like her.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Absolutely stellar reason for going full time, Gina D. You go—girl!

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I traveled alone with two small children until I met my husband who fell in love with the life style and now that the children are grown, I have someone to travel with and share. As a single traveler, I tried to stay invisible to avoid problems so I believe there are a lot more out there then most know about.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I traveled alone with two small children until I met my husband who fell in love with the life style and now that the children are grown, I have someone to travel with and share. As a single traveler, I tried to stay invisible to avoid problems so I believe there are a lot more out there then most know about.
Hi,

This is something I think about doing in the future...how did you "stay invisible?'

nwnoni
NW Noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
There are at least 3 solo ladies in the RV park I'm currently in.
They don't seem concerned about safety, often see them out and
about, drinking coffee at the office etc. 2 of the ladies have came
over and introduced themselves when I was sitting outside my
Casita drinking coffee.
I think anytime you are staying in a commercial RV park you
have nothing to worry about.
Staying in a state park or at a truck stop may or may not be
different, I don't have enough experience in that area to say.
DrifterDan
Quote:
Hi,
This is something I think about doing in the future...how did you "stay invisible?'
nwnoni
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
We are staying at Park Sierra in Coarsegold, CA this weekend. There are 60 single gals, 20 single men, and 175 couples full timing here. This is Stage Coach Days, the annual celebration of the start of this park.

All kinda of activities and demonstrations going on. Lori is doing a Dutch Oven demonstration for 100 people in about an hour. Everyone will get samples. She is cooking about 7 dutch ovens full of food. YUM.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Check out Sisters on the Fly (AKA Cowgirl Caravan) at http://www.sistersonthefly.com/
I don't know how many are full-timers but there are a lot of them & they seem to have a great time!

Look at the trailer photos for some really creative & fun designs too.

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #13

Cool

"I intend to be one. I don't know about moxy. I just want to get outta here."

Amen, sister. I can't wait to leave this job and hit the highway. My fantasy is heading out 5 minutes after I retire (in 1 year, 11 months, 3 weeks, 8 hours, 13 minutes, and 9 seconds) and not even knowing where I'm headed. I won't have any clocks or watches onboard, and everyone I meet will have to check theirs at the door! I'll be a young and free 65 years old! Yahoo!

I'll come back in about 6 months and take my kids and grandkids on road trips. Them will be the days.
Belva McKann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you don't care where you are going, you can't be lost.

If you don't care when you get there, you won't be late.

Recommended reading is "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #15

Trailer: Rockwood Roo 17 ft Expandable
I'm not of an age to full time it yet, but I take my 3 kids camping alone every summer (hubby only gets 2 weeks vacation). In the summer of 2000 I drove from Maryland to Arizona and back with the kids. The kids were 2, 7, and 9 at the time. We visited the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and everything in between in five weeks.

In 2006 we drove to Utah and back. We travelled to Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument and Mesa Verde.

These trips are the highlight of their youths. After camping out west Disney didn't cut it, lol.

It's amazing to travel with kids. They learned so much and got to see their country. We are staying closer to home this year, Cape Cod Mass. and the Thousand Islands NY-Ontario. It will be great!

Doris
doris shamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #16

I plan on being one of these "fulltiming" ladies!.....
Although, I still haven't bought my egg yet....lol.......It's been 2 years since my husband passed away and I'm finally selling our house. I have plans to buy a Casita in the very near future, my house is closing in just 3 more weeks! WooHoo! I won't be fulltiming anytime soon as I have a Rottweiller! But, I can't wait and am planning my future daily! LOL I hope to be able to travel to a new area and campsite on a monthly basis.
JulieOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I plan on being one of these "fulltiming" ladies!.....
Although, I still haven't bought my egg yet....lol.......It's been 2 years since my husband passed away and I'm finally selling our house. I have plans to buy a Casita in the very near future, my house is closing in just 3 more weeks! WooHoo! I won't be fulltiming anytime soon as I have a Rottweiller! But, I can't wait and am planning my future daily! LOL I hope to be able to travel to a new area and campsite on a monthly basis.
Good for you. Keep us posted as you progress.

My wife and I are looking to next year.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I'm also curious how you stayed invisible. I've done extensive traveling abroad and I've mastered the art of being invisible when I'm traveling that way, but this is an entirely new ball game. I'm a woman traveling solo and I just turned 30 (and for good or ill, I regularly pass for 18), and added to the fact that I'm very new at this, I've got some nerves about the whole thing. I realize that the safety issues have been addressed in other forums, but maybe I'm just looking for some tips you solo women who have experience would suggest besides retaining common sense and paying attention to my gut.

What I've noticed, though, in the few times I got out this summer (I just bought my first camper at the end of July) is that it's almost impossible for me to be invisible. People are intrigued by the Scamp and gravitate towards it, curious about what it looks like inside, etc. I often have men in neighboring campsites who seem really eager to help out the little lady camped near them. (Never mind that I can do it all myself, but they're just being nice.) Once I'm set up, I spend most of my time outside my amazing Gander Mtn chair, so it's really obvious I'm alone. I've got my camera's monopod for a weapon if I need it, because the cats sure aren't going to protect me if I need it, and I put the porta potty right next to the door (so that's the first thing an intruder will trip over). And one of the reasons I wanted a Scamp was because it had solid walls and a lock on the door. Next summer I'm planning a trip up to Maine and Nova Scotia, so this is an issue I'll be facing frequently come May. Mind you, I've never had any problems, but I'd like to keep it that way.

I will say that the attention unnerves me a little and maybe that's just because I'm paranoid. I've been raised on safety in numbers and the statistics of violence against women--but I'm not going to let it keep me from doing what I've always wanted. I'm just wondering what you all do to combat the paranoia you have so you can enjoy the dream.

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Karen, I sent you a PM. Lisa
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Here is my 2 cents

I traveled alone for a few years back in the early part of 2000-2003 in my Saturn Coup loaded to the brim. It was quite an experience, as soon as I got out there, I realized...oh crap, I'm a female out in the world all alone. I was very paranoid in the beginning, making as few stops as possible, not talking to ANYONE unless they were behind a counter, being very careful about my surroundings etc... I traveled from TX to WA and camped around for several months (tent camping). Luckily I followed my gut and had no problems. After a while, I got a dog, a good sized border collie/black lab mix she looked sorta like a black wolf, so that made a huge difference on how I felt about security since she would bark at anyone who approached me. If you can't get a dog, I would suggest at least having pepper spray on hand, it couldn't hurt IMO. Having the egg will definitely draw attention, as we are now finding out. We stopped for gas bringing ours home and got approached by 3 different people. So you will draw attention with one of these, but that may not be a bad thing. If you roll into a camping ground, you will likely get noticed by more than one camper, so you can use that to your advantage by befreinding the people who are not likely to become a threat, like couples who can be extra eyes watching out for you and the camp ground hosts. I would venture to say your choices for where you stop to camp will be closer in to people with a trailer, unlike tent camping where you can get off the beaten path out away from the crowds, so that can also be a plus, if you are not so far away that you wouldn't be able to recieve help if an incident occurred. I feel way more secure in the egg than I did in a tent so far. The reality is as you already mentioned, you know there are dangers out there, but you can't hold yourself back being afraid of what could happen... I say go for it, and don't worry so much about the bad, just be aware of your surroundings, and trust your gut!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming