Fulltimers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #15

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I am not full timing, but got a 21 ft Amerilite and sold the 16 ft Casita. Hubby thinks even camping in a 16 ft camper is way to crowded for him. Well, after 3 trips within the state, I am convinced we can not tow that big of a camper and still have money to camp after filling the SUV with gas. At 7 MPG on gas hauling a 21 ft regular sticky I can not afford to haul my Amerilite any distance. I wanted in the worst way to head south this winter (first yr not working) but it won't be happening in the bigger rig that has room for us, the dogs and puppies.
I am buying a 16 ft Scamp this week so that I can travel by myself if need be. Hubby refuses to use the 16 ft to camp in. It will be me and the dogs in the crowded little camper, but at least I will not be spending all my money on gas to get somewhere.
MY POINT IS: If you can afford to pull a bigger camper your wife will most likely want one for full timing (I sure would!). But If you can not afford it, make do with what you can, and have fun. I want to see some of the good ole USA no matter how I have to do it. Fiberglass seems to be the cheapest way to go.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #16

Name: Carmella
Alberta
I just started back in August...I am in a 13 foot Trillium and loving it. I am solo so there is plenty of room for me and then some. The feeling of freedom can't be beat. I have so far gone from Alberta to Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, California and next may hit Arizona. It's been amazing wandering up and down Hwy 1 along the coast.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 TV 2009 Mazda Tribute, 4 cyl, 5 spd trans.
Full-timing?

I'm not "full-timing", as in having no permanent address, but I've been travelling in my 13 foot Boler since mid-July, and have plenty of room. Have gone from Ottawa, Canada to Albuquerque, and am now on my way home, hoping to arrive before the snow flies.
The only thing I lack is a generator; and satellite radio - ah well, next year.
My 4 cylinder Mazda Tribute pulls it pretty well, but I wouldn't go over the Rockies with it - going up all those hills in second gear might irritate the parade behind me. but, I bought the car before I bought the trailer; would be much better off with a 6 cylinder - then I could go anywhere!
And, thanks to all on this forum who helped me when I was on the road and didn't know what to do!!
Next year, maybe I'll do six months, rather than three. We'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella in Canada View Post
I just started back in August...I am in a 13 foot Trillium and loving it. I am solo so there is plenty of room for me and then some. The feeling of freedom can't be beat. I have so far gone from Alberta to Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, California and next may hit Arizona. It's been amazing wandering up and down Hwy 1 along the coast.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
This weekend we looked at some of the 30' plus 5th wheels at the campground and my wife comment that they were too large. I dodged a bullet there. We will continue to test the water in our 16'. I do like the 5th wheel setup, so maybe the 19' Scamp in the future. I love my Scamp and the whole fiberglass egg community!
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #19

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
The 5th wheel Scamps are nice. We went from a 13' to the fifth wheel and pull with a Toyota Tundra. It actually pulls better then our 13'. I have to remember it's behind me.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Is the shower in the 5th wheel too small?
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #21

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
If you get it with the steps up to the bunk, no. If you get it on the side, yes. But it works and you can clean the toilet at the same time.

Tags
fulltiming