Fulltimers with Firearms? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Awesome!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Pamela,

I carry a handgun, always. It's loaded, won't do any good unloaded. It's stored in the trailer. It's been across the country and back several times. I did not take it on my Alaska trip as I had to go through Canada.

I don't worry about having it since I don't look for trouble and therefore can't see any reason why I'd be stopped and the trailer searched. If for some reason the occasion would occur, I think I'd pleaded ignorance and let them have it. Maybe say something like "Gosh, I was sure I left it home" and maybe bat my big brown eyes.

I'm contemplating full timing and have wondered about my handgun only because while fulltiming I might want to cross the border into Canada or go to Alaska again. I think someone mentioned leaving their weapon at the border and picking it back up on their return. The problem being that you have to cross both ways at the same border crossing. So while I like the handgun better than a shotgun I might have to reconsider if having a shotgun allows me to take it into Canada. Maybe some research is needed.
Here is a possible, yet illegal way of doing it with hand gun:If you are going through Canada to Alaska, an option is to send it general delivery, to yourself, to the closest US post office after the Canadian border and before you cross into Canada. But it should be broken down and mailed in at least two separate packages with some other items you might need there, like canned goods or such. You ask for your two parcels when you get to that post office. Put on the parcels your likely ETA. The post offices hold them for about 30 days. Solo backpackers, I have heard, do this when there is no other solution.

Legally, it should be sent by someplace like a gun store which has an FFL to another in Alaska having one too, paying a fee for each transaction. What a pain it has all become!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I am known as "The Gringo."
I saved that "Gringo" gif LOL I Like it
Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Don't even think about mailing it illegally because the BATF will make your life a living hell when you are caught.
You could wind up in Gitmo as a Terab Airest for the rest of your life not to mention the government seizing everything you own.

I sell guns at a gun store and the way to move it is to ship from one FFL Licensed dealer to another FFL Licensed dealer.
After all, if having a handgun with you is so important doing it within the law is that important also.

I think more than enough has been said concernint this issue and this thread should be closed.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #25

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
My hands are lethal weapons. I carry them with me everywhere I go and very rarely hide them. Customs has never confiscated them in Canada or Mexico. My hands move freely across state lines.....

I am known as "The Gringo."
Do I recall seeing you in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" with Antonio Banderas?

Roger
Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
I don't want to be a renegade or anything, but I plan on keeping mine hidden but "handy". My grandfather was a police officer and safety comes first, I will be alone on the road full time. The way I see it, if you don't do anything (including crossing the border to Canada) to give Law Enforcement a reason to search (which is most definitely my plan), then I won't have a problem. I am not advocating for anyone else to take my advice and I have the book on the laws already (haven't read it yet, haven't hit the road yet either), but IMO, I would rather be safe and responsible than unsafe. I did, about 15 yrs ago, bring the same firearm from VA to CA under my seat and had no problems. Once again, I will be alone, so I am most worried about my safety. I will check out the laws and comply as much as possible, without surrendering my firearm at any time. This is the risk I am willing to take, NOT advocating in any way!! I hope all have save journeys and I am looking forward to being on the road with you all within a very short time as I officially retired Friday, waiting on my Pension Funds to come through to join you all. Happy and safe traveling and towing!!
The most important thing on this thread is Monica RETIRED and is awaiting Pension Funds! WOO HOO

I am Soooooooo jealous..
Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #27

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Note to Monica and Pamela concerning search and seizure laws:

Monica, you are mostly right that you won't be searched without cause. Border crossings are the one huge exception. I crossed the Canadian border many times while living in Alaska. Usually took a few seconds to pass the guard station. When my wife and I were crossing from Montana into Canada with a new Casita in '04, we had a different experience. We were told to park the truck and trailer in a large warehouse-like building and go to a waiting room. We were there over two hours while two agents went through the truck and trailer. There were a few other people who looked as ordinary as us getting the same experience. We were never told what the issue was that day, or if it was just totally random. We had no contraband or firearms of any kind on that trip. Like Pete, I have crossed the border with long guns. There is a paperwork excercise and fee to pay. But don't ever go to a border crossing with a handgun and assume they won't find it.

Traveling with a firearm in the truck or the trailer is up to you, subject to state and local law. In many states, there are laws that firearms must be unloaded and in an area inaccessible to the driver. The trailer would qualify under this scenario. Keep in mind how much a trailer bounces around and protect the item accordingly. There are different levels of constitutional protection concerning vehicles and homes. When your trailer is parked for the night it is your home. When it is rolling down the highway it's a vehicle. Searching your home requires a much higher level of exigent circumstances, usually requiring a warrant. If you stay legal, you don't have to worry about all these kinds of details.

Hey, BIG CONGRATS on making it to retirement! Have fun out there.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Best laid plans and all that -- unless you can get the appropriate firearms permits (which are not available for aliens for handguns and other restricted weapons).
Peteo you know the customs procedure at the border for taking a shotgun into Canada? How much paperwork is involved, how much fee to be paid?

Some years ago I flew up to Yellowknife in the NWT with a rifle as checked luggage and I don't recall much of a hassle at all and no fee when I went through Canadian customs in Edmonton. I suspect things have changed now. Of course, that was 15 years ago, before the Canadians passed the legislation to severely limit handgun ownership for their citizens, and prohibit it completely for the casual tourists passing through.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Rather than give you old (2001) info, here's the Horse's Mouth with the current info:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseig...s/default_e.asp

Essentially, you have to buy a permit for yourself and then register your long gun (and renew that every 60 days before it expires) -- I was able to do both at the border -- Do NOT state self-defense as a reason except in bear country against bears.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Rather than give you old (2001) info, here's the Horse's Mouth with the current info:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseig...s/default_e.asp

Essentially, you have to buy a permit for yourself and then register your long gun (and renew that every 60 days before it expires) -- I was able to do both at the border -- Do NOT state self-defense as a reason except in bear country against bears.
Now I know, thanks. Good link!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If I may...

There is a federal law that to summarise states:

That if the firearm is legal in the state you are orignating from, and the state you are going to... and you are not making any 'excessive' stops along the way (ie... overnight is OK, but not 3 weeks visiting Great Aunt Martha)
So long as the weapon is in a locked case, unloaded and separate from the ammo.

You're good.

This occurred after a gentleman's plane was diverted to a different state than the one he was intended to hunt in and he was charged with the possession. (Nothing he could do)

So, when asked... Your going directly out of the state.

Also, Florida has a CCW which is recognized in over 30 other states. Cost is $117 and I believe they just upped it, from being good for 5 years to 7.

Here is a good resource. The sidebar on the left specifically addresses some of the stated concerns.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

If I may be of further service, please ask.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:44 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Please remember too, that is a privately owned site. Not a legal authority:
"You are responsible for validating your own information.". Gun laws are very complicated. Additionally, there are not just individual state laws, but county laws and city ordinances.

In Oregon for instance:

"ORS 166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places."

Ignorance is not a defense.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It is true that it is not a legal source, but it is a good place to start, (And some of the replies here worried me) EVERY small local has the ability to further regulate loaded weapons... (Note the loaded) except in some states where the state Connstution forbids it. (Confused yet)

Also like some said, in the RV/trailer... it is often considered your home... requiring a warrant...

You CAN travel with firearms, often loaded, sometimes not... but you can take them with you (See the part about the federal law)
Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This just in: http://www.katu.com/news/national/41529977.html

Quote:
[b]Court blocks rule allowing guns in national parks
By MATTHEW DALY, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge has blocked a federal rule allowing people to carry concealed, loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

A decision issued Thursday by U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly overturns a rule issued in the waning days of the Bush administration.

The rule took effect Jan. 11 and allowed visitors to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge as long as the person has a permit for a concealed weapon and the state where the park or refuge is located allows concealed firearms. Previously, guns in parks had been severely restricted.

The Obama administration had said it was reviewing the Bush rule but had defended it in court.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #35

Trailer: Casita
my firearms are in my trailer (my home), and, my concealed-carry permit is honored in about 30 states ... I also still have my expired CCW permits from other states, with me, too ... I get along well with cops, and my multiple-permits assure that I'm likely to be one of the 'good guys' ... your appearance and disposition 'on the side of the road' has a lot to do with how you're treated by Law enforcement ...
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #36

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
When seconds count...!

When seconds count, the police may be only a few minutes away.
They can't be everywhere at once.

Can't think of any reason in the world to visit and/or spend money in a state that doesn't think my safety as important as their highest ranking official's safety. If forced to drive through it, I will eat and buy fuel before entering or after leaving. What part of "shall not be infringed upon", don't they understand?

Anyone carrying any type of defensive gadget should be well versed in it's use. That takes lots of practice on a regular basis.

I learned items 1-3 (below) many years ago, in a tactital defense class.
Disclaimer: They were and still are helpful to me. They may or may not be helpful to you. Use your best judgement according to the laws in the area you are in.

For a crime to be committed the Bad Guy needs 3 things.

1. The desire. They have to know you have something they want. If they don't see it or hear about it, you are not likely a target, unless you are the only opportunity they have. If you are disabled on the side of the road at night, you are a target!

2. The ability. They are bigger, stronger, can catch you by supprise, or out number you. Be totally aware of your surroundings. If that is impossible, move to another location. A face full of pepper spray, a bright light into their dialated eyes at night, and/or extremely loud noises to attract attention of others can temporarily or permenately remove the ability, or the desire, or both. Then there are more lethal stratigies as a very last resort.

Don't show your defense in hopes of scaring a BG off. They should not know you have it, until it is in use.

3. The opportunity. Avoidance is the best defense. Don't stop, or camp in isolated places. Always keep in mind, "Is this an opportinity for someone to do me harm"? Sometimes "Stuff" just happens. So be prepared (see # 2). Never deliberately go somewhere with a weapon that you wouldn't go without one.

Kip
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #37

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Steve Lee has more money than me. I can't afford lots of those foods to eat much less to shoot. LOL

Strangely enough, I know a man who lives near Wells Gray Provincal Park. He owns 300 acres. He also has a .44 Magnum which is legal for him to have because of bears. Go figure.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We don't carry a gun but have found that crossing at the low traffic crossing results in more thorough inspections, probably because they have time on their hands.

As well while crossing at near Thousand Islands in NY we had our entire motorhome xrayed, It was an unbelievable experience, After the x-ray four guys went thru the motorhome because they saw two six packs of soda under the bed.

Maybe it's our lisence plate "Live Free or Die", NH the state without sales or income tax. Oneof the Canadian crossing inspectors mentioned it to us.

We do carry bear spray, but do not consider it pepper spray.

Norm
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #40

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Does that mean soda, adult beverages, what have you are not allowed to cross??
Closed Thread