Fulltimers with Firearms? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #41

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Does that mean soda, adult beverages, what have you are not allowed to cross??
They x-ray looking for drugs hiding in secret compartments, I live south of a border patrol checkpoint in Tx. Two six packs of pop may look like drugs on the x-ray. They just caught someone here recently with a large amount of weed covered with dirty laundry.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #42

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Hi Pamela,
If you are full timing, especially if you travel by yourself, I can understand your interest in self defense. I know a number of women who travel by themselves and it's always a concern. Although a small shotgun will probably pose less of a problem as far as regulations are concerned, you will be dividing your time between driving, getting in and out of your tow vehicle and also spending time in your trailer. You will either have to keep separate defense items in both your trailer and TV or carry it with you as you move around. You may find it more convenient to carry a knife. A knife is likely to be legal in more places and can be carried on your belt where it's apparent you're armed.
An interesting topic for sure.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #43

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
If I bring a gun on a camping trip I am not supposed to stop at 99% of military installations. That said, I think a military campground is about as safe as you can get. It's the traveling between them that presents a problem. Not all my camping trips include a stop at a military installation.

My goal is for nobody to know if I have a gun until the smoke clears. I have no doubt I have the will to pull the trigger.

Travel safe and practice situation awareness.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Idle curiosity department question for anybody listening:

What's the legal definition of "concealed carry?" (any state...)
Would it exempt a plainly visible pistol in a holster?

Francesca
Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #45

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Francesca
Whether or not a firearm is considered concealed or not in a particular incident is often left to the judgement of the police officer involved. Therein lies the reason that I went to the trouble to obtain a concealed carry license. Now I am covered in any instance except in the states that do not have reciprical recognition.

Always be sure that you are informed of the laws in your locality. Good information on this can be found on the allstays website.

Never keep a gun handy if you are not prepared to use it and understand the legal paramaters involved as to when it's use is considered justified. However the old saw " It's better to be tried by twelve than burried by six. " is always a consideration. Be safe.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 AM   #46

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Quote:

Francesca

In Minnesota we do not have "Concealed Carry" we have "Permit to Carry". So plainly visible is not an exemption. I believe this varies by state.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #47

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Quote:

Francesca
The definition is different in every State and even in different cities in the same State.

General rule of thumb: Concealed carry means a non gun person has no clue. No part of the gun exposed or outlined (printing). Some States allow for incidental exposure, some don't.

Here are some good sites to start your personal research on. Then move on to the sites for the States you are interested in.
Concealed Carry - Reciprocity Maps - Concealed Weapons Permit Info
Handgunlaw.us
Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner

You do not want to rely on information from a non-government web site when a mistake can be a felony. Personally check the State web site for the Laws of any States you intend to take your gun to.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #48

Registry
Thanks, all-

I've wondered about that since a friend of mine refers to his handgun permit as a "concealed carry" permit.

Francesca
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #49

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here is a good book to have on the subject:
Traveler's guide to the firearm laws of the fifty states
Gunlaws for the 50 States
$13.95 for 1 copy
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #50

Trailer: Casita
don't buy a 'gun laws' book ...

don't buy a book to research gun laws, the laws change almost daily ! ...

here's a free website that attempts to stay current:

Concealed Carry - Reciprocity Maps - Concealed Weapons Permit Info

don't bother to ask a cop about the laws either, as most don't know, themselves ... (they're cops, not attorneys) ...

one thing you can be sure of, GUN LAWS are different in most every state ... I have concealed-gun permits (CCW) in 3 different states, recognized by about 31 states, at this time (like I said, the laws are changing constantly) ... most of these states do NOT allow 'open carry' ... even though I have a concealed permit, I would be arrested if seen carrying my weapon in plain view

be safe
Old 06-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis f. View Post
the definition is different in every state and even in different cities in the same state.

General rule of thumb: Concealed carry means a non gun person has no clue. No part of the gun exposed or outlined (printing). Some states allow for incidental exposure, some don't.

Here are some good sites to start your personal research on. Then move on to the sites for the states you are interested in.
concealed carry - reciprocity maps - concealed weapons permit info
handgunlaw.us
pack-n-go carry concealed trip planner

you do not want to rely on information from a non-government web site when a mistake can be a felony. Personally check the state web site for the laws of any states you intend to take your gun to.
very good advice !
Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #52

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Jimmy said: "don't buy a book to research gun laws, the laws change almost daily ! ...

The book I referenced in my post recommends the same thing Jimmy said. The book is written by an Attorney and he wants you to be absolutely sure you understand the various State laws B 4 you carry.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #53

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanits View Post
The most important thing on this thread is Monica RETIRED and is awaiting Pension Funds! WOO HOO

I am Soooooooo jealous..
Well, that was awhile ago...LOL. My funds came in and I have been on the road for two and a half years now, full time. I have traveled through MANY states, my firearm has never been noticed. Other than that, I am LOVING IT! That's all for now folks!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #54

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
speaking of firearms, how does one travel to Alaska, thru Canada, with a firearm? Anyone know?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
speaking of firearms, how does one travel to Alaska, thru Canada, with a firearm? Anyone know?
the legal way to get thru Canada to Alaska with your firearm, is to visit your local gun dealer - the firearm will be shipped to an Alaskan gun dealer of your choice, that's what USA law requires - do some 'Yellow Pages' searching, if need be, to find a gun dealer on your route ... likely your local gun dealer has done it before, or knows how to find dealers at the destination ... DO NOT trifle with Canadian gun laws, they WILL lock you up, and confiscate your property (we had a semitruck seized and held for months, over a firearm situation - the driver asked permission at the Port of Entry, to enter Canada with it - he was then arrested)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #56

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica M View Post
I don't want to be a renegade or anything, but I plan on keeping mine hidden but "handy". My grandfather was a police officer and safety comes first, I will be alone on the road full time. The way I see it, if you don't do anything (including crossing the border to Canada) to give Law Enforcement a reason to search (which is most definately my plan), then I won't have a problem. I am not advocating for anyone else to take my advice and I have the book on the laws already (haven't read it yet, haven't hit the road yet either), but IMO, I would rather be safe and responsible than unsafe. I did, about 15 yrs ago, bring the same firearm from VA to CA under my seat and had no problems. Once again, I will be alone, so I am most worried about my safety. I will check out the laws and comply as much as possible, without surrendering my firearm at any time. This is the risk I am willing to take, NOT advocating in any way!! I hope all have save journeys and I am looking forward to being on the road with you all within a very short time as I officially retired Friday, waiting on my Pension Funds to come through to join you all. Happy and safe traveling and towing!!
My uncle once tried crossing into Canada with a firearm. A revolver I think. He was stopped at the border and turned around. He left it with a friend and tried crossing again some days later at a different checkpoint.

They tore his car apart, removing everything. Removed speakers, checked his engine, and looked everywhere for that revolver, convinced he still had it.

I think most border patrol people themselves would naturally want to keep a firearm with them, and so expect people to bring one in.

The lesson here is that if you tell them once, they will assume you have one the next time, and you will be on the hit list for every time you cross into Canada.

So I see three options. 1) Hiding a cheap firearm for personal protection, that is large enough to stop a bear, or 2) Applying for the five year permit which is $60, and being careful to comply with all laws. or 3) Competing in target competition while traveling to Canada.

In either case, I would only bring in inexpensive weapon, like a cheap pump shotgun, and no more than 200 rounds of ammunition for that firearm only. More if you are competing in target competition. Or if competing, bringing obviously target guns only.

My choice would be to comply with all laws. While I would not enjoy the border patrol stripping my car down, I would much rather comply with all laws and avoid being labeled as someone who is trying to be sneaky.

Finally, I travel to Canada frequently. The more often you travel there, the less difficulty it will be for you to cross in either direction. Follow the rules. Use common sense.

So suggestions.

When you stop at customs take off your sunglasses. Stop the car, and remove the keys, and be prepared to immediately comply if they ask for you to remove your keys. Sunglasses make it seem like you want to avoid being recognized--they will take dozens of pictures of you when you cross, and leaving the car running might make them think you are about to try to run. Be polite. Some people get belligerent and these get arrested. If you are retired military, had over your Military ID card. I provide my passport, retired military ID, Merchant Marine Document, and Pet's vaccination papers every time I cross, even though I have been told I do not have to provide all this. I simply state force of habit.

They will always ask you where you are going and staying. Have an answer ready or even written out for them. If you are carrying firearms, it should show the route you are taking and if competing, it should be fairly direct.

You are not trying to hide anything, which will cause them to be suspicious of you.

While I completely understand Monica's suggestion to hide the fact that firearms are present in the vehicle, as I would not want any of my firearms confiscated. I would much less want to be labeled a troublemaker, or show disrespect for the laws of Canada.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #57

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I absolutely would not carry a firearm to Canada (unless I had to drive thru Chicago on the way). Seriously we have always felt very safe in Canada.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #58

Registry

Last post here before ol' Conrad "NightSailor" posted just now was in 2011.

'Nother "back-from-the-dead" thread, I guess....who knew there's still anything new to say!

Francesca
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #59

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:

Last post here before ol' Conrad "NightSailor" posted just now was in 2011.

'Nother "back-from-the-dead" thread, I guess....who knew there's still anything new to say!

Francesca
Francesca, you definitely have a great eye for detail!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Try to bring a fire arm into Canada with declaring it and you will be visiting Canada again for the trial, to try and get your firearm back, and your vehicle.
I posted before in response to this topic on this forum and ended up in moderation, so I will say nothing more.
Closed Thread