Fulltimers with Firearms? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
I'd like to know if any fulltimers here have firearms and if so, how they handle them, given that many states have differing laws. Do you store in the camper or the tow vehicle? How do you keep them secure? Thanks for the info!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The RV Bookstore has a 2009 Firearms Laws for all 50 states book for $13.95. A must have if you intend to take a concealed weapon across state lines. The Casita Club has a long thread on this subjest, Just ran across it today.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I'd like to know if any fulltimers here have firearms and if so, how they handle them, given that many states have differing laws. Do you store in the camper or the tow vehicle? How do you keep them secure? Thanks for the info!
Please everyone lets not make this issue a heated argument and i respect everyones view but this link should help with all the answers you need pamela.
Joe

http://handgunlaw.us/
Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
.... And of course the usual reminder that the gun laws here in Canada are very strict around bringing guns across the border - concealed or not.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Please everyone lets not make this issue a heated argument and i respect everyones view but this link should help with all the answers you need pamela.
Joe

http://handgunlaw.us/
Very good advice Joe----Thank you
Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
What I did was carry a small shotgun that I could register as a long gun (not a restricted handgun) when going into Canada and buying a firearms permit.

I carried it in the trailer, because that is my home here in the US and is generally subject to greater search restrictions that my automobile.

I did NOT carry a handgun as there are just too many ways to get into trouble with one in other states and, of course, foreign countries. In fact, I didn't even carry any ammo except for the firearm on hand because customs are likely to search and really strip one down if some 9mm ammo was found in with the shotgun shells. Some of these border guys seem to have competitions going as to who can confiscate the most weapons, esp the Pac NW guys checking Americans getting off ferries and heading for Alaska.

I suspect that a couple of good cans of marked bear spray would be even more effective in use and a lot less likely to cause legal problems than bullet launchers.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Thanks for the info everybody! I'll need to look for that book and read the thread on the Casita forum.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A “NON-Resident” can get a Florida Concealed carry permit that is valid in more than ½ of the States in the USA. The BOOK that is mentioned is a MUST if you are going to move a firearm across state lines. Some states may not allow you to do that.

Pete has the best idea of carrying a small shotgun as it is more likely to keep you out of trouble and you can take it into Canada provided you answer the questions correctly and purchase the permit.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
....."I suspect that a couple of good cans of marked bear spray would be even more effective in use and a lot less likely to cause legal problems than bullet launchers."
Pete, I could be mistaken (like THAT's never happened before??) but I belive the thoughts by law enforcement officers up here in Canada feel that "....anything (this includes bear spray??) that you have in your posession for DEFENSE purposes could be (forceably) taken from you and either used on you or some other party as an OFFENSIVE weapon" and therefore not allowed.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I belive the thoughts by law enforcement officers up here in Canada feel that "....anything (this includes bear spray??) that you have in your posession for DEFENSE purposes could be (forceably) taken from you and either used on you or some other party as an OFFENSIVE weapon" and therefore not allowed.
When I was boating in Canada we carried bear spray specifically because it was legal whereas "human" pepper spray was not (we purchased it in Canada). We did sail across the border into the US and back into Canada with it, with no problems.

When I've crossed the border from the US into Canada by road, they have asked me about weapons or pepper spray, but never about my toolbox full of things that could be used as weapons (screwdrivers, hammers, tire-irons, etc.) Luckily, as I'd hate to not be able to carry that with me!

The first time (pre-Internet) that I crossed with pepper spray I was not aware that it was illegal in Canada, so they confiscated it (fair enough). I've never crossed the border in a car with bear spray aboard.

R.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I don't want to be a renegade or anything, but I plan on keeping mine hidden but "handy". My grandfather was a police officer and safety comes first, I will be alone on the road full time. The way I see it, if you don't do anything (including crossing the border to Canada) to give Law Enforcement a reason to search (which is most definately my plan), then I won't have a problem. I am not advocating for anyone else to take my advice and I have the book on the laws already (haven't read it yet, haven't hit the road yet either), but IMO, I would rather be safe and responsible than unsafe. I did, about 15 yrs ago, bring the same firearm from VA to CA under my seat and had no problems. Once again, I will be alone, so I am most worried about my safety. I will check out the laws and comply as much as possible, without surrendering my firearm at any time. This is the risk I am willing to take, NOT advocating in any way!! I hope all have save journeys and I am looking forward to being on the road with you all within a very short time as I officially retired Friday, waiting on my Pension Funds to come through to join you all. Happy and safe traveling and towing!!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
As a Canadian we do not have the same rights to bear arms as do Americans so I always find these forum discussions interesting. My father was American and used guns all his life until he moved to Canada so I understand that they are more a part of life in the USA then here.

There is a thread on security on this forum - I believe it pokes up quite often - and there was one post I thought was outstanding. It was by an ex police officer from the USA. His basic stance was you should not carry firearms or other weapons for protection unless you are 100% sure you will have the capacity to use them when the time comes - otherwise that weapon may be taken and used against you. I had never thought about it that way but of course it is logically.

So in the end you always have to decide 'Do I have the discipline to use a firearm correctly and forcible in a time of crisis?'
Old 02-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #13

Be careful -- We are drifting from How to Carry Firearms to Should We Carry Firearms, the contentious part that gets us in trouble.

I should have mentioned that in regard to Canada, do NOT mention defense against humans with regard to any thing that might conceivably be used as a weapon -- Pepper spray itself is considered defensive UNLESS it is marked BEAR SPRAY, in which case it is presumed to be OK.

However, Canadian law also makes it clear that if a non-restricted item, like bear spray, becomes used in a human situation, it is upgraded to a restricted item and upgrades the crime -- Example of this might be a flare launcher for a boat -- A safety device or a restricted firearm, depending on the use.

I suggest that anyone planning to carry restricted firearms in foreign countries (or states like NY or MA, for that matter) give some serious reconsideration to that plan -- In Mexico, you will do jail time under unpleasant circumstances; in Canada you might not get jail first time, but highly subject to losing weapon, truck and trailer, plus be persona non gratis after that. Second Amendment rights stop at the borders to the countries or the states.

"Getting away with it" time doesn't really count for much; it's the one time you don't that resets the meter to zero. In nine years on the road, I could have been carrying a case of hand grenades and another of submachine guns in the rear of my truck and gotten away with it (altho I did have CA Customs checking inside my Scamp and under my front seat) but that doesn't make it smart.

My understanding is that the Canadian border people have access to many US data bases, including NCIC and CCW, so if one has a CCW or have had a background check, one may pop up on a list to be pulled aside for detailed checking, just as they check for felony backgrounds by random pullouts -- They can be very aggressive in this regard -- I recall two lady friends of mine being questioned for a long time on ferry crossing Back East regarding pepper spray and personal protection -- It's their border and they can manage it as they choose.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Quote:
I carry in my home state only, where I have a concealed carry license, and shoot in excess of 1000 rounds a year, I carry bear spray else where, in lower 48.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Be careful -- We are drifting from How to Carry Firearms to Should We Carry Firearms, the contentious part that gets us in trouble.
Thanks Pete
Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Pamela,

I carry a handgun, always. It's loaded, won't do any good unloaded. It's stored in the trailer. It's been across the country and back several times. I did not take it on my Alaska trip as I had to go through Canada.

I don't worry about having it since I don't look for trouble and therefore can't see any reason why I'd be stopped and the trailer searched. If for some reason the occasion would occur, I think I'd pleaded ignorance and let them have it. Maybe say something like "Gosh, I was sure I left it home" and maybe bat my big brown eyes.

I'm contemplating full timing and have wondered about my handgun only because while fulltiming I might want to cross the border into Canada or go to Alaska again. I think someone mentioned leaving their weapon at the border and picking it back up on their return. The problem being that you have to cross both ways at the same border crossing. So while I like the handgun better than a shotgun I might have to reconsider if having a shotgun allows me to take it into Canada. Maybe some research is needed.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Be careful --
-- In Mexico, you will do jail time under unpleasant circumstances
-- It's their border and they can manage it as they choose.
A U.S.Marine was jailed in Mexico for inadvertently crossing the border with guns.

It took 2 U.S. Congressmen and a General to get him released.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
No problem, I don't plan on going to Mexico anytime soon or even later.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #19

Best laid plans and all that -- There have been numerous instances in the El Paso area where is easy for someone passing through (like the Marine) to take a wrong turn and wind up in the border crossing lane with no chance to turn around -- The Marine didn't have any intentions of going to Mexico.

Once upon a time, one could check weapons at the border going into Canada, but those days are long gone -- When you present the weapons, they will be confiscated unless you can get the appropriate firearms permits (which are not available for aliens for handguns and other restricted weapons).
Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
My hands are lethal weapons. I carry them with me everywhere I go and very rarely hide them. Customs has never confiscated them in Canada or Mexico. My hands move freely across state lines.....

I am known as "The Gringo."
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Closed Thread