fulltiming budgets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
at age 43, I had a lung removed.. it ain't just "Seniors" that need it.

Just the hospital stay alone, without follow ups or surgeons fees was... 1/2 million. Fortunately, I was insured and my out of pocket thus far has been less than 1000 even after 5 years of diagnostics, expensive scans and tests and follow ups.

A year ago, my company changed insurers. I was given a choice of Kaiser or another provider. The "other" provider had a million dollar lifetime cap. I asked the rep how much chemo would take up should I recur. She hung her head low and mumbled "All of it".

Anything can happen at any time. The insurance is the biggest hold back for me going full time right now. I am grandfathered in and covered.. if I leave my current plan, it will be absolutely impossible to be insured privately for any recurrences. The 5 year cure is medically valid, unfortunately, insurance can deny covering your condition for recurrances anyway when buying privately. (They can't in an HMO.. but that requires you are in a group, usually meaning a "Job".)

Bottom line, I am screwed. When I go fulltime, I will have to be under a government programmed insurer in a state risk pool, at a very high premium. Get the insurance now and don't worry about the pennies. It's the mass dollars you should be very scared of.
__________________

__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Quote:
at age 43, I had a lung removed.. it ain't just "Seniors" that need it.

Just the hospital stay alone, without follow ups or surgeons fees was... 1/2 million. Fortunately, I was insured and my out of pocket thus far has been less than 1000 even after 5 years of diagnostics, expensive scans and tests and follow ups.

A year ago, my company changed insurers. I was given a choice of Kaiser or another provider. The "other" provider had a million dollar lifetime cap. I asked the rep how much chemo would take up should I recur. She hung her head low and mumbled "All of it".

Anything can happen at any time. The insurance is the biggest hold back for me going full time right now. I am grandfathered in and covered.. if I leave my current plan, it will be absolutely impossible to be insured privately for any recurrences. The 5 year cure is medically valid, unfortunately, insurance can deny covering your condition for recurrances anyway when buying privately. (They can't in an HMO.. but that requires you are in a group, usually meaning a "Job".)

Bottom line, I am screwed. When I go fulltime, I will have to be under a government programmed insurer in a state risk pool, at a very high premium. Get the insurance now and don't worry about the pennies. It's the mass dollars you should be very scared of.

Thanks for the good advice Gina, I hope you never have a need to use that insurance again. I hope you are cured permanently.

Cheers,

Al
__________________

__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Posts: 33
well here is my 2 cents worth..

You might be able to get by on $600 especially if you find places you can stay for periods of time and taking a few side jobs occassionally as you mentioned.. have you thought of going south of the border as in Mexico..there are beaches there within a days drive and you could definately get by there swinging in your hammock..working online.. eating tacos and such.. also if you buy your own food and cook in your egg you will save alot as you know.. I think your biggest expense will be gas...

After you start your journey you will begin to find similiar minded folks that will tell you where to go to camp for free and perhaps people could give you a place to park on their land in exchange for some work of some sort..

There are many many possibilities out there!!! What can it hurt to try!!! Before you know it we will be reading your posting of how you travelled the country on $600 a month in style!!! I wish you the best of luck!! Dee



__________________
Dee Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #18
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Quote:
well here is my 2 cents worth..

You might be able to get by on $600 especially if you find places you can stay for periods of time and taking a few side jobs occassionally as you mentioned.. have you thought of going south of the border as in Mexico..there are beaches there within a days drive and you could definately get by there swinging in your hammock..working online.. eating tacos and such.. also if you buy your own food and cook in your egg you will save alot as you know.. I think your biggest expense will be gas...

After you start your journey you will begin to find similiar minded folks that will tell you where to go to camp for free and perhaps people could give you a place to park on their land in exchange for some work of some sort..

There are many many possibilities out there!!! What can it hurt to try!!! Before you know it we will be reading your posting of how you travelled the country on $600 a month in style!!! I wish you the best of luck!! Dee
Thanks Dee, Lots of food for thought. The Mexico idea would be fun for sure. I know gas prices would curtail the movement, however; my tow vehicle was getting around 21 miles per gallon pulling a 2000 pound trailer this past summer. As far as food goes? Rice and lentils can go far, throw in the occasional fish..No problem. Using a bicycle for running errands, going to gargage sales for books. It can be done for sure.
__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
My suggestion is sorta "try before you buy." Try to live on $600 a month now. If you have a mortgage or rent payment, don't count that into the figure (or any of the utility expenses related to the home) ... but do set aside whatever amount you think you'd need of the $600 to pay for any campground "fees." Then start in, no fair touching anything but that $600. Food, gas, insurance, oil changes, etc. And see how it goes. It's not a definitive answer, but if you find you're up around $750, then at least you may have a better idea if this is doable.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I believe that all restrictions of this kind are National Forest Federal Regulations. Many NFS regulations are written in such a manner that the individual Forest Supervisor can invoke the regulations or not as he/she sees fit. These are part of the same regulations that allow for National Forest closure when there's a fire. Most of these types of regulations are not invoked unless there's a perceived need.
My experience is that the regs are NOT federal in nature, but written by whoever administers that particular gummint facility (although there are some general regulations), esp when it comes to stay limits. Yes, however, it's up to that administration to enforce (or not enforce) them. My feelings, from traveling around in the Western Colorado area, was that there was a decided tendency to restrict the stay limits.

That said, I did waaay overstay the limit in one camp ground; I was friendly with the camp hosts, occasionally made myself useful, certainly wasn't a problem, didn't hog the best sites and hardly ever made a campfire (one of the contract host's jobs was to clean EVERY firepit EVERY day, due to fire danger status). I also camped over the limit at a dispersed site in the same area. BUT, one can't count on being able to do that.

BTW, here's a list of the federal agencies that have CGs on some of their land, and not all are under the same federal regs as the natl forests, even to the point of charging or not charging admission fees:

Natl Parks and Monuments and Seashores and Lakeshores
Nat Recreation Areas
Natl Forest
Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclaimation
Corps of Engineers
Tennessee Valley Authority
Natl Wildlife Service
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,308
Registry
Enforcement or not enforcement is not always the case. Sometimes it's choosing to implement then choosing to enforce or not enforce. Posting the signs indicates implementation, kicking you out or fines is then enforcement. Subtle difference, but still different.

Each agency listed above have different regulations and manage the lands differently for different purposes. National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Lakeshores, BLM, Bureau of Reclamation, and National Wildlife Reserves are part of the Department of Interior. National Forest is part of the Department of Agriculture. TVA is TVA and reports directly to Congress. Corp of Engineers is part of the US Army. So there's bound to be a lot of difference in regulations. For recreation purposes BLM and FS seem to be combined lately.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #22
Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Posts: 33
Hi Al,
You are not the first to head out across the country on a tight budget..i actually I did it when i was 17 and ended up living in a VW camper for over 15 years even going between working in the canneries in Alaska and flying to Hawaii in the winters and I had a bus on each end!! I also had a toyota with overhead camper at one point.. i always looked at a vehicle in sleeping terms!!

I was the queen of thrift but i also worked and worked hard in between adventures!! now i am older and have a scamp and i am not a fulltimer but i do have some experience in this sort of thing!!

Settle in one spot as long as possible and use a bike!!! Stay in warm areas!! Work a bit at odd jobs..it is a great way to socialize and also make a few extra $$ it wouldn't take much to boost that $600 up a bit and make your trip more enjoyable!!

Try getting on Amazon and read about others adventures, this may help alleviate any worry ...

Try Ten consecutive years living in a car by Craig Roberts

Support your RV lifestyle Jamie Hall

Living on Practically Nothing ~~and others!!! good luck.. Dee
__________________
Dee Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Hi Al,
You are not the first to head out across the country on a tight budget..i actually I did it when i was 17 and ended up living in a VW camper for over 15 years even going between working in the canneries in Alaska and flying to Hawaii in the winters and I had a bus on each end!! I also had a toyota with overhead camper at one point.. i always looked at a vehicle in sleeping terms!!

I was the queen of thrift but i also worked and worked hard in between adventures!! now i am older and have a scamp and i am not a fulltimer but i do have some experience in this sort of thing!!

Settle in one spot as long as possible and use a bike!!! Stay in warm areas!! Work a bit at odd jobs..it is a great way to socialize and also make a few extra $$ it wouldn't take much to boost that $600 up a bit and make your trip more enjoyable!!

Try getting on Amazon and read about others adventures, this may help alleviate any worry ...

Try Ten consecutive years living in a car by Craig Roberts

Support your RV lifestyle Jamie Hall

Living on Practically Nothing ~~and others!!! good luck.. Dee
Dee,

I think you need to write a book.... bet you have a lot of stories to tell.
__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
peterh's Avatar
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Posts: 1,519
Registry
Back in the 80s I had a couple friends who bought a small, beat-up motor home and struck out on an adventure together. Ran into them years later at a science fiction convention. They were still living in their small motor home, but had visited every continental state and Canadian province, seen every national park, visited every major art museum in the country. They worked minimum-wage jobs part-time when they parked somewhere, managed to save about 1/4 of their respective take-home cash, and that beat-up motor home? Five years later and it still looked like h*ll on the outside, but the inside was a stylish, if super-compact, studio apartment. I always envied their gusto . . .
__________________
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #25
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Quote:
Hi Al,
You are not the first to head out across the country on a tight budget..i actually I did it when i was 17 and ended up living in a VW camper for over 15 years even going between working in the canneries in Alaska and flying to Hawaii in the winters and I had a bus on each end!! I also had a toyota with overhead camper at one point.. i always looked at a vehicle in sleeping terms!!

I was the queen of thrift but i also worked and worked hard in between adventures!! now i am older and have a scamp and i am not a fulltimer but i do have some experience in this sort of thing!!

Settle in one spot as long as possible and use a bike!!! Stay in warm areas!! Work a bit at odd jobs..it is a great way to socialize and also make a few extra $$ it wouldn't take much to boost that $600 up a bit and make your trip more enjoyable!!

Try getting on Amazon and read about others adventures, this may help alleviate any worry ...

Try Ten consecutive years living in a car by Craig Roberts

Support your RV lifestyle Jamie Hall

Living on Practically Nothing ~~and others!!! good luck.. Dee

Thanks for the good advice Dee. I bike everywhere now so that won't be tough. I have a decent job presently but I feel that life is passing me by and want to gain some experiences before it's all over. Does this make sense? I agree with the "settle in one place as long as possible" advice, it's the cheapest way to go.

Who knows: Maybe taking a couple years off from teaching and living on the road will give me new appreciation for what I got now. The time is right for a sabbatical at this point.
__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #26
Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Posts: 33
Quote:
Thanks for the good advice Dee. I bike everywhere now so that won't be tough. I have a decent job presently but I feel that life is passing me by and want to gain some experiences before it's all over. Does this make sense? I agree with the "settle in one place as long as possible" advice, it's the cheapest way to go.

Who knows: Maybe taking a couple years off from teaching and living on the road will give me new appreciation for what I got now. The time is right for a sabbatical at this point.
I say if you don't have pressing obligations..live in the moment!! Give it a go and i would love to hear about it!!! if you don't have enough $$ you will find a way to make a few more!!

i am leaving here this next week to head to warmer climates for 6-8 weeks..some of it will be on the coast of Mexico..in a place called Huatabambito..i will be eating shrimp with garlic and butter/ salad and rice for $5.00 dollars.... Tacos for $2.00 and then those wonderful freshly squeezed carrot/ beet and green juices!!!! Hope all goes well for you, Al..

When are you thinking of going and what area will you explore first?? Dee
__________________
Dee Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
Early into my engineering career my employer experienced an almost complete drawdown of needed work at the site I was assigned. Leave without pay was encouraged, as was temporary reassignment at other sites across the nation.

My wife and I took as much advantage of that as possible, pulling a Compact Jr. with a Peugeot 404 station wagon (1.6 liter, 2500 lb. vehicle). We traveled in most of the lower 48 over a couple of years, worked about half-time on each of the coasts, etc. My employer did continue health insurance.

The end of this was a combination of parenthood and plenty of work by my employer. I am now retired. However I am glad for those years that I was able to experience a bit of the free-to-go life style.

If I were starting out again and were strongly attracted to full-timing, I would choose a career that would support my lifestyle. At the time we were doing this, had we both been registered nurses (my wife was), we could have carried on through retirement age with little financial concern. I believe that occupation is still in great demand about everywhere you go. There are likely others, if you check things out.

In this day and age, the internet provides a lot of potential earning power that wasn't available in my age. On a recent trip I ran into a fellow with a nice Airstream camped in a county park in Texas for a week or so. He was retired, but produced more income trading stocks and other securities than he was making before he retired. He was quite accomplished and disciplined at this, trading on either the long or short side as appropriate.

I'm sure there are other ways to add to that $600. The point is, consider the $600 as your fall-back. Whatever extra you make, enjoy it to the fullest, donate appropriate amounts to those less fortunate and provide a financial cushion for your own time of need.

Good luck.
__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #28
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Quote:
I say if you don't have pressing obligations..live in the moment!! Give it a go and i would love to hear about it!!! if you don't have enough $$ you will find a way to make a few more!!

i am leaving here this next week to head to warmer climates for 6-8 weeks..some of it will be on the coast of Mexico..in a place called Huatabambito..i will be eating shrimp with garlic and butter/ salad and rice for $5.00 dollars.... Tacos for $2.00 and then those wonderful freshly squeezed carrot/ beet and green juices!!!! Hope all goes well for you, Al..

When are you thinking of going and what area will you explore first?? Dee
Mexico would be nice right now. I'm in Utah at the moment and it's been a bit chilly. I'm off for the summer on June 1st, then plan to camp in the mountains around here for a month in my old truck camper. I'll have until July 1st to decide whether to quit my job, so I'll have the luxury of a one month trial period. If I decide to full time it long term I'll buy a scamp and pull it with my Volvo, since my truck and camper are getting long in the tooth.

Where would I like to go? Utah, New Mexico, Texas, and Mexico are my favorite places. I would also like to take a trip to Northern Canada at some point.
__________________

__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fulltiming in a 13 Footer Pamela S. Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 15 08-18-2009 09:52 PM
Laundry while fulltiming Harry Kellogg Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 10 06-10-2008 12:15 AM
Fulltiming Success Loren G. Hedahl Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 5 12-09-2007 03:01 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.