Fulltiming Question Part 1 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fulltiming Question Part 1

Part 1,
I received this request and decided to post the result under fulltiming knowing others will add to it.

“I have gone twice now on trips for a month at a time and I just feel like I am so disorganized and frazzled by trips end. I guess I don’t have the correct routine down yet in a timed structure if that makes sense. If you don’t do things when arising or going to bed and do them in the right sequence.

I am using my Odyssey and a rear carrier for optionals and that helps but my storage spaces seems inadequate yet you guys are doing it full time. Would love to know what your essential appliances functional tools area.”

Our first rule of long term travel is to have a place for everything. For us this means two things, first not taking stuff we don’t use (except for tools we hope not to use). Second, creating a place for everything, no piling things up. The following link is to everything we’ve done in our trailer to make it easy. It’s long but it has a lot of information nuggets.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

I look to use every corner and spot for permanent storage of something. You’ll see we’ve added five drawers to our trailer, drawers are primarily for easy access or to use space the manufacturer ignored.

For canned goods we added two pull out drawers. We have shelved our closet. We carry nothing on hangers. Our pots and pans are on shelves and we carry only 3 pots and a couple of frying pans (we cook usually inside). Recently we bought two frying pans that have white ceramic surfaces. They are absolutely great and always look brand new.

We have outside storage. A large rear bumper box with two plastic fence posts underneath. The box contains hoses, blocks, a power cord and a few common tools. One fence post contains a long sewer hose, the other a clothes line that mounts on the rear of the bumper.

Attached to the bottom of the floor under the trailer are 5 plastic boxes for rarely accessed items. Some tools, a workers orange extension cord and so on. Two of the boxes are large and on drawer slides, 3 are small and must be removed manually. (If you’re interested I can provide more details.)

I have added extra storage in the trailer. We have a storage unit above the dinette and small ones above the side windows. We keep jeans and bedding above the dinette. We make our bed up every night and store it during the day. We have turned our dinette into a folding table. It makes it easy to sit there during the day and makes the trailer look bigger.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

Florida
Fulltiming Question Part 2

Part 2.

We have a couch (useable as bunks) at the front of our trailer. We unhinged the back of the couch to allow us to store memory foam behind it or ground air mattresses.

Above one end of the couch we have a 27” deep closet to store folded clothes. (The normal closet is shelved and used for food stuffs. In the same food stuff closet we have a separate storage volume for dirty laundry. Attached to the end of this closet is a location for our two ebooks (showing how everything has a place).

Of course we’ve added misc storage containers all over, there must be 30 little storage boxes scattered about.

Under the center of the couch are two slide out plastic boxes for Ginny’s Clothes plus a drawer for her shorts. I have two similar drawers built into the dinette. Under that same dinette we have room for a crock pot, an electric heater, 3 bottles of wine, an electric drill and a lantern.

We also consider everything we haven’t used at the end of a trip and don’t take what we didn’t use. This means the last week of the trip Ginny’s breaking outfits I haven’t seen on the whole trip, just to protect them from a ‘throwout’. Me I wear what’s on top. The T shirt on the bottom usually gets left home on the next trip.

I don’t take a lot. I have two pairs of shoes, both Keens and she has three. We usually wear Keens for hiking and dressup, though Ginny brings a pair of ‘dancing shoes’.

We vary our clothing with travel. WE never carry winter clothing, we just layer depending on the weather. We each carry 3 pairs of jeans, no matter the climate. Shorts for FL and only one pair for NL.

Our rig has a small fridge, so we carry a quart of milk and a quart of half and half, a couple of pounds of bacon, a dozen eggs, a lb of butter, two pounds of Tillamock Cheddar, yougart, and some thing for a main meal. We always carry 3 pounds of smoked salmon because it doesn’t need the fridge. Our fridge is small but loaded with shelves. Though some are opposed our fridge is packed and works just fine. We have nesting storage containers and a single holder for all of them.

We have also added a storage volume under our fridge, more manufacturer wasted space. It holds 12 cans of beverages and about 8 cans.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Florida
Fulltiming question Part 3

Part 3.
Tools.
We have a tool shelves that holds two plastic shoe boxes of tools under our couch behind the slide out plastic bins for Ginny’s clothes. These are the most used tools, screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench tywraps,...

As I’ve described under one dinette bench is two drawers and…. The other dinettte bench has the water tank (always half full) and pump. There is room for additional tools here and a collapsible water tank.

Odyssey Storage.
The biggest things in the Odyssey, behind the third row is four light aluminum chairs. We carry 2 for us and 2 for guests along with a case of water for when we get dirt road lost. We also carry a large plastic bin with fluids like wd-40, silicone spray, a quart of oil, a bottle of distilled water and cleaning supplies. We also carry a small 12 volt compressor and a 6 ton bottle jack.

We carry a plastic shoe box under each seat. One contains our Jump starter, one snacks, one dvds, one local maps, one first aid supplies, ….

We also carry two multi use small blankets, 2 collapsible hiking sticks, a small back pack, our rain jackets, a hat and a sweater or sweatshirt. We also carry a watch cap and a scarf. Most in a plastic bin. We have a bin with every map and a couple of books.

We also have a rear view camera on the back of our trailer and tire pressure sensors on the trailer tires.

Routine,
We wake early usually at 6:00 AM. I usually grab my phone and computer (a very light Chromebook) and check the weather and news. Eventually I turn on the TV and we watch the sports news until 7 AM. Ginny has come to know sports and it is part of her routine as well. We get out of bed at 7, I dress first..my clothes are on the couch from the night before. Ginny gets up and I take the bed apart and store the bedding (less than 5 minutes). Ginny dresses and starts the coffee and i set the table for breakfast. We have the same thing most days ‘ one egg, one piece of bacon and a slice of toast, usually with honey and a cup of coffee.

Ginny reads her phone for a while and I clear the table. SHe does the dishes. I usually retire to the couch and back on the computer. I usually read a couple of dozen sites before we leave.

If we’re hitting the road, I get the trailer ready, literally a ten minute job. We don’t carry screen rooms or coolers. It consists of disconnecting the hose, the power cord and storring in the bumper box, closing the front window and raising the jacks. Ginny’s usually done by then after locking all our cabinets and the fridge. She backs me in though the Odyssey has a rear camera and I can do it alone. WE check all our lights and all the little things and are off on the road. Always by 9 AM but sometimes at 8 AM. We usually drive for 150 miles and that’s it. We like to stop early and check the new area out. We don’t make reservations except at national parks, though Ginny will call ahead as we’re driving if she thinks there may be an issue, sometime just to be friendly.

As we drive Ginny is responsible for the right side of the drive. I don’t pull over without her say so. As well she’s now a map person and always know where we are on the map. As well she uses the mountain directory and knows about every severe grade before we get there. She also has responsibility for the trailer tire pressure gauge.

You may know we don’t have pets. We decided that for extended travel it’s unfair to pets and fellow travels and they limit what’s possible. We decided against them for these and other reasons. We had planned ahead not to have pets during this phase of our life. I know they provide unconditional love and barking protection. Honestly Ginny does both well.

I know I missed a lot but I am always happy to answer questions.

All the answers so far have been very mechanical in a sense. There’s another part that really makes it work. It consists of showing interest in each other, sharing knowledge, looking for adventure, working to bring each other along, compromising regularly and considering what can make the other happy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #4

Florida
AS I sit here I recognize I've left out a lot. If there are questions I'd be glad to respond.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I made a list of where everything was packed and then couldn't find the list. My excuse this time was that we bought the trailer and truck just a couple weeks before we left home and didn't have time to get organized. I do feel at times being disorganized and taking too much stuff. Hopefully next winter we will remember what we did need, and what we didn't, and pack accordingly.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

Florida
Bob, Because we're on the road we generally don't unpack most stuff, mostly the fridge and some of Ginny's clothes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Thank you for the well-thought-out post! You have given me numerous ideas for storage (like boxes on sliders under the trailer). I know you probably have a picture posted of the folding table you mentioned, but your postings are so voluminous that I don't know that I could find it. I really dislike the heavy table on a post that came with my trailer and I'm trying to think up a good folding arrangement. Could you point me to or further describe the table? That seems like it would be key to the quick set-up / break-down of the bed.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I too have meant to say thanks for these insightful posts. You guys are amazing and inspiring. Your last paragraph from part 3 could be the answer to "How to have a happy marriage and life." You to are blessed.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Florida
Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-N-Ice View Post
Thank you for the well-thought-out post! You have given me numerous ideas for storage (like boxes on sliders under the trailer). I know you probably have a picture posted of the folding table you mentioned, but your postings are so voluminous that I don't know that I could find it. I really dislike the heavy table on a post that came with my trailer and I'm trying to think up a good folding arrangement. Could you point me to or further describe the table? That seems like it would be key to the quick set-up / break-down of the bed.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Anne,

Here's a link to where the table begins. Starts in post 31.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-46387-3.html

I began by building a table that is half the length as a standard table. I used Scamp's standard folding leg for the center support and their wall brackets.

I followed this by making a second table top, just a 1/4 inch or so shorter. I placed one piece on top of the other an took a couple of small brass hinges and hinged the two halves together.

When I want to make up the bed I drop the folding leg at it's hinge and drop the table down to bench level and unfold it. I use a couple of short legs to support the front edge. (I believe there's a picture if not i'd be happy to send you one.

If we want to use it as a four person table I have a front supporting leg that holds the front up.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #10

Florida
Rick,

Thank you for the kind words.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #11

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Thank you so much Norm! What a gem you are! (A double gem, since you always give Ginny top billing). That post was in my subscribed list, but so long I hadn't read it yet. This is exactly what I want, but have to think how to mod for my U shaped dinette.
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

Florida
"Top Billing"

[QUOTE=Fire-N-Ice;515124]Thank you so much Norm! What a gem you are! (A double gem, since you always give Ginny top billing). [/

Anne,

Ginny certainly deserves top billing' there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, it's not even a contest. Those who know us both would agree. Though if you asked her she would say the same about me but an unbiased group would choose her.

In meeting people I find it interesting that the really good do not understand they stand out among us all. As well they see the goodness in others, goodness often missed by most. There some magic in being able to not see the thorns but to see the rose.

In the same vain, when I'm bad, maybe having written an aggressive post, I later feel sad about having written it. Really bad people seem to be able to walk away from evil acts with out feeling.

With reference to Fire and Ice. Are you referring to Frost or ...

Some say the world will end in fire, / Some say in ice. / From what I've tasted of desire / I hold with those who favor fire.
Frost

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #13

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hi Norm & Ginny,

Thanks for the details, part 1, 2, and 3! We are not fulltiming, but just camping for 60 days in the winter, and your descriptions really help.

One thing I have (re)learned is that one can be very, very satisfied with a lot LESS stuff. It was fun preparing for a 2 month outing with a goal of fewer items and less weight. Those facts and experiences are a help in everyday life when we are back at home for the other 10 months a year.

We had a very nice time in our Eggcamper this Feb. & March, and God-willing , we will be on another trip next winter.

Thank-You
Mark & Linda
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #14

Florida
Mark, Sixty days pf camping is very much like full timing. The only real difference is the amount of time you are away from family, friends or gardens,,,,,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #15

Name: tricoasttraveler
Trailer: Casita
Texas
"2lbs Tillamook Cheddar"..... love it....a must on my list too!
tricoasttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #16

Florida
Cheese, Salmon, Pecans, Walnuts and Twizzlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoasttraveler View Post
"2lbs Tillamook Cheddar"..... love it....a must on my list too!
We're a little eclectic. Our loving Seattle son keeps us supplied with two things, Tillamook 'black' two year cheddar and smoked salmon. We always carry a couple of pounds of salmon. It keeps without refrigeration in their mylar pouchs and allows us to create a classy meal anytime, our latest is salmon cakes with a lemon dill sauce.

The Pecans and Walnuts are used for all kinds of cooked items but mostly for car snacking. The last item Twizzlers (red) are used for Twizzler time. After driving an hour, usually at precisely 9AM, I start singing 'Twizzler Time', a Norm original.

Recently 'Dots' have slipped into our snack box, a candy that lasts a long time. Ginny gets most of the 'red' and 'oranges', I'm pretty much regulated the 'greens' and yellows'.

I don't think I mentioned it earlier but we do carry raw honey. I've switched to it in my coffee, it always makes it a treat to reach the bottom of the cup where the honey's a little denser. If we're lucky we also have a couple of jars of Partridge berry jam, that we only seem to find in NL.

We just returned from our annual check up and the doctor charmed Ginny by telling her she was like a fine wine, getting better with age. For me he said that our life style changes have made a real difference, almost eliminating stress, eating better and exercising more. I'm still amazed that how quickly the body can get better when you treat it better.

I've had a lot of success in my life (of course failures too) but no previous success matches that of our travels, amazingly entering our 15th year.

I'm feeling really happy today.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #17

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Twizzler problems..but no littering charges...yet

In addition to the standard packages, Red Twizzlers also come in 5# Plastic boxes (the giant economy size!)

Well, I have to be careful with (Red)Twizzlers. They are a "Red Flag" food for me. I might eat the whole package. My Brother In Law, Dennis, in Virginia Beach, bought me a 5# container of them a few months ago. I told him of my problem and said that I might have to throw the whole 5# box off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on my way home. He said --No, don't doo thaaat. ----Ok, so I left the Twizzlers Box in a back seat corner where they were hard to get to while driving. It worked--when I got home to Mass. most of the Twizzlers were still alive. Then, I left the Twizzlers in my car instead of taking them in the house (and eating them all in a few evenings). That worked too. I had one or 2 (or 3-4), every day on the way home from work and the Twizzlers lasted about a month.

Then, month later, Dennis bought another 5# box!!! He said they were on sale and he couldn't refuse the "good deal"......again. Same story--repeat. But, I almost threw them out the car window again.

Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...We're a little eclectic. Our loving Seattle son keeps us supplied with two things, Tillamook 'black' two year cheddar and smoked salmon.
If you ever get to Pulaski, NY (a small town on the Salmon River in upstate NY) stop in at the Colosse Cheese Store for a sample of their "XXXXX Sharp Cheddar - Aged 5 years - XXXXX Super sharp flavor".

Then again, to avoid having to take out a loan, you might want to just try some of their younger cheeses. They have a number of different cheeses as well as different aged cheddars, but the 5 year stuff is out of this world, although pretty expensive at over $30.00 per lb when they have it.

I never drive by without going in for a sample, although I usually walk out with their less expensive Extra Sharp 1 year product at only $15.00 per lb..
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
If you ever get to Pulaski, NY (a small town on the Salmon River in upstate NY) stop in at the Colosse Cheese Store for a sample of their "XXXXX Sharp Cheddar - Aged 5 years - XXXXX Super sharp flavor".

Then again, to avoid having to take out a loan, you might want to just try some of their younger cheeses. They have a number of different cheeses as well as different aged cheddars, but the 5 year stuff is out of this world, although pretty expensive at over $30.00 per lb when they have it.

I never drive by without going in for a sample, although I usually walk out with their less expensive Extra Sharp 1 year product at only $15.00 per lb..

I'll store that in my phone. Try the Tillamook it cost less than the Colosse cheese, comes in a two pound block. Oregon is worth the trip.

I'll buy a pound of the 5 year. It's worth spending the money for a new experience, plus we like Cheddar. Thank you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'll store that in my phone. Try the Tillamook it cost less than the Colosse cheese, comes in a two pound block. Oregon is worth the trip.

I'll buy a pound of the 5 year. It's worth spending the money for a new experience, plus we like Cheddar. Thank you.
I rarely see the 5 year cheddar on the web page (the 4 year is the oldest listed as of today). If you call them they will let you know if they have any of the 5 year in stock. It is a small company & they are often out of it...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming