Fulltiming Trailer Alternative - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
We discussed exactly what we needed/wanted/magical when we realized we were going to reinvent our Peanut from the bare shell. I said then and I'll say now, if I want to be completely comfortable and happy, I'll stay home. The idea of camping/going/vacationing is to do and experience something different, see new things, meet new people, appreciate things we hadn't even thought of, not to enjoy the same television/cooking procedures/ bathroom procedures/furnace/ oven/ maintenance things that we already have and do every week here.

We decided we wanted SIMPLE. So every easy, simple idea we found on FGRV and elsewhere, we tried to incorporate. We managed it--and are still refining it. The concept for us is lightweight, easy pull, easy backing, easy storing at home, easy dealing with everything inside and out, with maintenance we can do ourselves or with the help of people we already know. We take big print books, no TV, no Wi-Fi...no computer. We have an emergency-crank/electric radio tucked away but mostly never take it out of the "pontoon."

No matter how you camp, there are "hacks" and procedures and do this before you do that kinds of things. There is maintenance to almost anything including breathing ( a dust mask is an example).

While it would be luxury and magic to have one of the larger, all-inclusive trailers, and we are as capable as anyone of admiring all the bells and whistles and fittings, still, in the end, we come back to Peanut and say to each other, "Yup, this is enough." It's more spacious than the travel van; it's safer than a tent; it's lighter than our old Aloha and easier to set up than the crank-up tent-trailer.

Especially since on our latest trip to Maryhill, I figured out how to SLEEP in my bed! I finally sorted out just the right combination and positioning of the privacy curtain/towel, pillows, bolsters, dogs, blankets, nightwear, place to put a book and my glasses, reading light, and everything. I slept not only for four hours at a stretch (before Nimble and I needed the facilities), but I then slept until the campground sprinklers woke me at 7 AM! I NEVER sleep till 7 AM! So it was fabulous!

NOW we can really begin some trip planning. If I can sleep, everything else falls into place.

Nothing else is quite as important except perhaps the potty situation...but we had that solved from FGRV advice a year ago.

My BEST to all campers, all configurations, and congratulate those who have found what suits them best!

Kai

Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
I would love to find a small well made trailer with a walk-around queen bed and NO SLIDE-OUTS, under 5000 lbs GVWR, or around 4000 lbs curb weight. so far, nada.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I would love to find a small well made trailer with a walk-around queen bed and NO SLIDE-OUTS, under 5000 lbs GVWR, or around 4000 lbs curb weight. so far, nada.
How about the Whitewater Retro 195
Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Since the queen bed is 5' wide, you'd need at least an 8' wide trailer if you want a "walk-around" even then there's not a whole lot of space for walking.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #19
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
We saw one of these Vintage Cruisers when we were at the Blueb Casita Rally in Bandera last month. The owners were like you: wanted a walk around bed and no slides. It was cute, and had a separate shower in the bath. (Tiny, but separate...and with a sunroof in the shower!)
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Want all those things standard? Just pay $40k instead of $30k.

Each manufacturer has their own pricing strategy, Escapes strategy seems to be to keep the base price low but make almost everything an option.

As far as the base prices, that reflects construction costs of a molded trailer along with a very small market. Items made for small markets are invariably more expensive than mass market products. If the molded trailer market was larger and very profitable, you would see more companies entering the market.

Nothing wrong with buying a sticky. Do realize they depreciate fast, really fast. But you will get more amenities at a lower price. It's sweet to own a molded trailer for several years, then sell it in a day for what you paid for it when you decide to move on. You can't do that with many RVs. Wish my truck held its value so well!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Two points

At breakfast Ginny told me she's thoroughly happy with our Scamp 16 and doesn't need a Nash 22H.

I must admit we slept 11 hours last night, some kind of record I'm sure, going to bed at 8 PM after a really long hike yesterday. As a result we missed going to see the Rambling Rovers. This is day 5 of the Tales, Trails and Tunes music Festival.

The hike along the beach and back along the old mail trail was to celebrate the snow melting, we had 35 cm of snow the other day.. the most snow our Scamp's ever seen.

We have added a new 2" memory foam topper to our bed and it's now super comfortable. We are still totally comfortable sleeping in the Scamp, just realizing this is our 10th year of sleeping in the Scamp for about 7 months a year.

The other day Ginny and I realized we've been traveling for 17 years, averaging 7 months a year. As we almost reach our 75th birthdays and 53rd wedding anniversary, we realize we've been on the road for almost 1/3rd of our married lives. We truly feel blessed to have such a wonderful time.

The Festival will be over Sunday night and we'll began a wandering time around Newfoundland ending up on one of our favorites Fogo Island before heading back to NH for a month of camping and visiting friends and relatives.

As to used Nash trailers, I saw a 2007 for $10,000, probably half the original purchase price. They seem to hold their value well.

Now we're off to order a loaf of fresh baked Multigrain Newfoundland bread, it's so good.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:13 AM   #22

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
Why isn't there a "Like" button? I like your post. Knowing when enough is just perfect. New is cool. Fancy is cool.

Contentment is hard to achieve, but coolest of all.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #23

Name: Emily
Trailer: Waiting on our 16ft layout 7 Scamp to hatch in July 2018
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Why isn't there a "Like" button? I like your post. Knowing when enough is just perfect. New is cool. Fancy is cool.

Contentment is hard to achieve, but coolest of all.
I wish there was a like button, too. So I could like Norm's post just above yours, and yours, as well.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
That all sounds nice, but bigger trailer, bigger footprint in your driveway. Need bigger truck, big bucks for new, lucky to find one in half decent shape used, with reasonable mileage. Car and trailer all paid for. Do not need more expense, at this stage of kissing 73 years of age. Wife would not want to drive a truck around, would have to have two vehicles, more bucks. My thoughts only. Carl
Old 05-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #25

Florida
We're sticking with what we have however in retrospect if we were 'today smart' I'd buy the Nash.

For the same bucks it is more. I don't know why there's not a Fiberglass trailer that provides more.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #26

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Looks like you have your priorities right . It truly is about the journey . Congratulations on 53 years together! You have achieved what most people only dream about . Someone once said "It takes hands to build a house , but only hearts can build a home " . You both have your home .Pat
Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #27

Florida
Today we're over in Trout River, NL at the Seaside Restaurant having chowder and fish, a true end of the road place. We certainly are happy. This morning we were thinking about year one. Who could ever imagine year 53. Driving to Trout River takes you over some mountainous terrain. The road here was opened around the time we got married. These people didn't live at the end of the road, there was none.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #28

Florida
Here we are into 17 years of travel now knowing that breaking away from the everyday was a great decision. Now we loved our past, the pre RV years, however our travels wS an opportunity to love each other better.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
fulltiming