Fulltiming Trailer Alternative - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fulltiming Trailer Alternative

I own a Scamp 16 and am presently traveling in Newfoundland with friends who've owned a Nash 22H for 10 years. We're unbelievably sitting in a howling snowstorm. The campground owner says it's never happened here in late May. We're smiling and waiting it out. I will say it's more comfortable in our neighbor's Nash.

Our son just retired and bought a new (2016) Nash 22H for less than $20,000, less than a typical 19-21 foot Escape and similar to a new Casita 17.

The Nash has a real bathroom with a substantial dry shower and enormous amounts of storage. It comes as a four season trailer, a very nice dinette, a nice jack knife sofa and an excellent Bed. The difference is impressive and like Escape owners, Nash owners travel.

Our friend is an Escapee and has driven all over North America and never had a problem with his Nash.

Now I obviously love our Scamp 16 and Fiberglass trailers, but this appears to be a very well built stick trailer at a great price. One positive sign is that they are difficult to find used.

The visible quality at the price sends a message in itself

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Yes, the Northwoods Mfg trailers have a reputation for good quality 4-season units. It sounds like your son got a bargain. The 22H is about 25' long overall, with a dry weight of 4200 lbs and dry hitch of 500 lbs. When loaded for camping, the hitch could easily exceed 700 lbs. Definitely pickup truck material. I could be tempted, if I had a pickup. Don't go and get 2-foot-itis, Norm!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
With stick-built TTs, I know of no manufacturer that does it better than Northwoods Nash, although I have heard many good things about Taylor Coach in Canada also as far as pleased customers and long life and more simple in style, they do come in at a much lower weight.

One has to acknowledge that some just need a little more space than what the 17' or less molded fiberglass has to offer. Whatever it takes to get out there!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: interested in HC1.
Colorado
Howzabout a photo? I don't know if I've ever seen a Nash.

A question about new stickies...Are they building them from welded aluminum now or do they still just have wood framing? I have a truck camper which has an all welded aluminum frame structure and it seems to be about the strongest structure you could imagine for the weight. Very happy with it. Curious if new TT's are built this way.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
Howzabout a photo? I don't know if I've ever seen a Nash.

A question about new stickies...Are they building them from welded aluminum now or do they still just have wood framing? I have a truck camper which has an all welded aluminum frame structure and it seems to be about the strongest structure you could imagine for the weight. Very happy with it. Curious if new TT's are built this way.
Northwood makes a version called the Arctic Fox with an aluminum frame. The Nash does not. Our friend traveling with us has literally been every where with us and it looks brand new. An interesting aspect is the amount of trailer delivered per dollar.

To answer the truck question, our son sold his Honda Accord and his old but mint Toyota Tacoma, both of which he used to tow his Scamp 13, and bought a used 4x4, Toyota Tundra with a 4 passenger cab.

Here's video and pictures: Northwood | Nash 22H

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #6

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Lance trailers uses aluminum framing that is welded in place.
I have not seen any new trailer that uses wood framing in exterior walls or the roof , there may be but I have not been looking that hard. One of our camping group just bought a new 34 ft , fully loaded 5th wheel trailer for less money than a 21 ft Escape.
We are looking at selling our 17 ft Casita and getting a slightly larger trailer. As much as we like our FG trailer , other trailers seem to offer more space and luxury for a lower price tag.
I realize that FG trailers can last 30 or 40 years but at my age it really doesn't matter cause I won't be here to see it .
The FG trailer market needs a good dose of competition IMHO
Old 05-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #7

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Northwood makes a version called the Arctic Fox with an aluminum frame. The Nash does not. Our friend traveling with us has literally been every where with us and it looks brand new. An interesting aspect is the amount of trailer delivered per dollar.

To answer the truck question, our son sold his Honda Accord and his old but mint Toyota Tacoma, both of which he used to tow his Scamp 13, and bought a used 4x4, Toyota Tundra with a 4 passenger cab.

Here's video and pictures: Northwood | Nash 22H
Wow just looked at site . Impressive ! Some of the items , comfortable seating , wonderful bath, double bowl sink at kitchen , sliding windows , electric awning with support arms , 4 season , large refrigerator with microwave and oven , large capacity holding tanks , lots of storage , so many features what 's not to like . Lot's of trailer for the money . For full timing , really great . As someone said really not interested in 30-40 years life just enjoy life now with a nice comfortable space . Pat
Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
It's always tempting to have more space.

I've always loved small spaces and I love the little fiberglass trailers. But I have probably the most spacious of the fiberglass trailers. I've gotten pretty used to my Bigfoot. I walked by a Scamp 19 parked in a neighborhood a few weeks ago. I was honestly shocked at how tiny it was. I felt like I was taller than it and that it was just really, really small. And of course that's partially the point with these things.

But man...it seemed cramped.

A few of my friends have started getting newer, stick-built trailers. Most don't make me jealous at all. But there are some really nice things about them. One couple I know got a 21ft trailer with a slide out, and at least according to them, it weighs the same or possibly just a little less than my 17' Bigfoot...

For people who really just "camp" in their trailers, a little 13' Scamp is great, if you're used to backpacking and car camping. You still spend most time outside, but you have a small indoor kitchen, comfy bed, and somewhere to hang out and play cards if the weather turns.

But then you start getting used to the comforts of home out camping...and a little bigger sounds nice...a lot of us will hit a point where enough is "enough". And of course for those living out of their trailers for extended periods, there are different considerations. But it's easy to keep wanting more comfort until before you know it you're hauling one of those trailers I see on the interstate that are literally (in the true sense, not the way some people seem to use it these days) bigger in sq ft than some houses I've lived in. Whatever does it for you...but I mean really...
Old 05-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Very nice trailer. The folks from whom I bought my first trailer, a Scamp 16, were moving up in size to a Nash 24. They were quite pleased with it.

Fran
Old 05-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #10

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There seems to be room for every camping style. If a larger trailer will make you happy then go for it. For me the height of luxury was to be able to cook and eat inside sitting up, able to get out of bed and stand to get dressed, and having a furnace to warm the inside of the trailer. This all vs a 40" high barely room for two sleeping bags tent, which when in campgrounds required getting dressed while laying on our backs. A single burner light weight stove. No room in the tent to sit up and eat at a table. If was rainy you had to cook and eat in the rain. OH YA you had to carry on your camping stuff on you back.
My little 13' trailer is a huge step up. I did the backpacking thing for 30+ years, now maybe I can do the 13' trailer for another 30+ years (halfway there). Then I either consider something larger or will be through with camping.
The ease of hookup and setup in far easier than the backpacking tent method.
That's just my story.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #11

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My nephew spend an uncomfortable long weekend camping in his 27' sticky with slides that wouldn't open. He, he wife and three kids had to climb over the furniture to get to the bathroom while waiting for a mobile RV mechanic to arrive.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #12

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My nephew spend an uncomfortable long weekend camping in his 27' sticky with slides that wouldn't open. He, he wife and three kids had to climb over the furniture to get to the bathroom while waiting for a mobile RV mechanic to arrive.
All brands of trailers have their share of problems . Just go to the Escape ,or Casita or Scamp or Oliver forums and you will soon read / hear the litany of issues with FG trailers. To pretend that no one has ever had a weekend or trip ruined by a failure of a fiberglass trailer is a reassuring thought but false . I have friends with 20 year old stick built travel trailers and the trailers are still on the road and functioning. As I am fast approaching 70 years of age , the extra room , comfort and features of a trailer are more important than its life span or its' cute attention grabbing appearance. Why are so many things that are standard features on an inexpensive stick built trailer an extremely expensive options on a Fiberglass trailer ?
I said it 5 Years ago and I will say it again today , Fiberglass Trailers are a niche market and their price reflects that .
Old 05-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #13

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Yes Steve. We know you've been thinking about a new trailer for five years.
My point in posting the example is that the more trinkets you add to a trailer, the more there is to go wrong.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #14

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yes Steve. We know you've been thinking about a new trailer for five years.
My point in posting the example is that the more trinkets you add to a trailer, the more there is to go wrong.
We bought a brand new Casita in June of 2013 . We have made several cross country trips with it and it has served us well.
My point was that , how can a FG trailer with a base price of over $30K still charge extra for features like a furnace , A/C
, dual fuel water heater , winterization valves , radio , TV , heated tanks , antenna , power stabalizers , foot flush toilet , oven , microwave, insulation , thermal windows , power stabalizers and jack etc etc that come standard with other trailers. I agree that the more amenities you have the more there is to maintain or repair . What I object to is having to pay extra for things that at $30K should be standard equipment.
I would not pay the same price for a Yugo as I would for a Mercedes just because the Yugo has less stuff that could go wrong.

Tags
fulltiming