Generator?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I got an email promo I thought I copied. May I miss spoke or it changed.
Nope you were right, it changed. I looked at the link when you first posted it.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Monica, I've read countless posts in many forums with varied opinions on what type and or size of generator to use. We have a Honda EU 3000 and for us it is truly quiet and starts every time. A little too heavy for thieves of opportunity to walk away with.
I wanted a genset that I can just plug into without slide rule calculation on demand spikes, this or that, watts vs volts etc OY VEY...and not PO the neighbors.

Honda, or Yamaha for that matter, are names you can trust producing portable power products that have been around since 1965 so these companies are offering very refined technology and tons of manufacturing history in this area.

Mike
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I tripped over my generator yesterday.. that's the first I have paid any attention to it since I moved.. LOL!

Being that I will very shortly be living full time in my rig, I decided to go ahead and get more solar panels.. I don't know if I will be working in a private campground with hook ups, or a forest service one with none. I got 2 50 watters for the roof, and will keep my portables just in case, bringing me to 175 mixed bag watts with 2 controllers.

I also picked up a Wave 6 cat heater.. no power usage.. so, outside of air conditioning and micro, I should be quite happy power wise if I end up with no hook ups, even in the northwet :-)

I suppose I will still haul the genny around.. but I don't know why. I REALLY never use it and it was a regrettable purchase for me.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
I also picked up a Wave 6 cat heater.. no power usage.. so, outside of air conditioning and micro, I should be quite happy power wise if I end up with no hook ups, even in the northwet :-)

I suppose I will still haul the genny around.. but I don't know why. I REALLY never use it and it was a regrettable purchase for me.

Gina,

But you know...when you get rid of the generator, you will need it! The wave 6 uses no power? How is that?

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Gina,

But you know...when you get rid of the generator, you will need it! The wave 6 uses no power? How is that?

Pam
No electrical power, just propane.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There are a number of LP heaters intended for RVs that are radiant and use no circulation fan (or the fan is run by small batteries) -- They are roughly divided in two classes, those using catalytic conversion and those using Oxygen Depletion Sensors (ODS).

The standard RV furnace actually uses two fans (although they may on one motor), one inside the combustion chamber and one inside the warm air chamber.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
wave 6 rocks! we had one in a 24' and it was way to hot. we only used high to get it going good. our cat also loved to sit in front of it
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #28

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Monica,

I considered a Honda 1000 but it wasn't enough to start the A/C so I got a Honda 2000. It's a nice little generator. Some have the 3000 but you'd definitely need a permanent place for it. The 3000 is way too heavy for most lady's to move. The 2000 only weighs in the neighborhood of 40 lbs. Since you are fulltiming you should consider mounting the generator on the tongue as I and others have done or not. I just posted my mod a few weeks ago.

In addition to having a generator I also have a 55 watt solar panel. If I had a 16 footer like you I'd have a 100 watt panel and mount it on the top of the trailer. My panel is not mounted on my 13 footer as I don't have the room for the panel I chose purchase, that would be the actual size. Now remember the solar panel only charges the trailer battery so that's all the power you have available. To run 110 appliances you'll need an inverter. You can't use appliances that use lots of power such as the A/c and Micro, your battery won't ever have enough juice for them.

I like having both the option of using solar or generator depending on where I'm camped and what I want to use in my trailer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator