Ginny "Really a Fulltimer" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Grandkids.

Of course we loved ours. Today we're talking with our RV neighbors who told us how they need to not travel, just steal away for weekends because they couldn't leave their grandkids.

When we talk to our grandkids they're thrilled by our travels. They looked on us as marvelous explorers. When the grandkids we're younger we would camp in their yard or nearby and spend an intense month with them. When they became young teens we took them around Alaska. When they were in college we would camp near their campus and visit them for a week, taking them and their friends out.

There's more than one way to be active in their lives.

Just a different approach.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #30

Florida
Living through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
norm, I LOVE your writing & thoughts about life! don't change a thing, just because 1 person missed the symbolism. you really should put these together in a book. I don't know what you'd call it - life musings? on the road with norm & ginny?
eagerly awaiting your next post,
sharon
Ginny and I feel so blessed (and I'm hardly religious). This week we're up in Maine having a great time Comments like Steve's barely raised a hair. Sometimes it's just a miscommunication.

When I get excited I mostly try to put it aside for a little bit if I lose self control.

I write quite a bit, but mostly for personal amusement or expression. Never much real interest in a book. I had a professional editor friend, rather well known, who I would occasionally help. If you want to be good at anything it takes major effort. I used to be in the musical instrument business and knew a lot of rock stars. I was always amazed by the amount and intensity of their practices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Norm, that is a great approach. Our daughter and family have had a TT for years so grandson #1 is a more experienced camper than we are at 5 years old (he calls their trailer their "camping house"). I'm hoping on our first outings we can coordinate so they are either next to us or in the same camping area. The look on his face would be priceless.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #32

Florida
The grandkids seem to enjoy how active we are, probably a place they would like to be at our age. They have grandparents that are unfortunately not able to do much. We are an exception in their lives. Showing what's possible has benefits.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #33

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
snip
I write quite a bit, but mostly for personal amusement or expression. Never much real interest in a book. I had a professional editor friend, rather well known, who I would occasionally help. If you want to be good at anything it takes major effort. I used to be in the musical instrument business and knew a lot of rock stars. I was always amazed by the amount and intensity of their practices.
Norm, do think about this again (I have worked with writers for nearly 30 years, and taught college classes for 11). A dear friend who just departed with pancreatic cancer this year wrote lovely and inspiring emails very much like your posts. We kept suggesting she do a blog and she kept demurring. Finally she gave it a try and it changed her life and the lives of many (she had a world-wide readership).

She did begin writing a book, initially about surviving pancreatic cancer. As she continued it did become a farewell when the cancer returned. But it wasn't just a book about cancer, it was about how she looked at and *lived* her life. Supposedly *intelligent* editors advised her to write about having cancer, or to write a memoir, but not to combine the two.

Idiots.

Her writing friends (especially me) insisted that what she had to say about her life was very important, and that how she was addressing and accepting her cancer was equally important. Now her husband gets constant feedback from people who have been inspired by her book.

So do take notice that people here appreciate what you write, and consider that you have thoughts and lessons that could be inspirational even worldwide. This may actually be one of your undiscovered purposes in life. After all, we're given talents for a reason!

Gayle's blog is here: gaylemadden.com
And her book is available on Amazon.com: An Imperfect Life

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #34

Florida
Ellpea,

Thank you for the kind words.

Sorry about your friend. My dad died at 45, I was 24. It had an immediate effect on my life. It's certainly the reason I never worked at any job for more or less than 5 years, moving between different careers trying to extend my life by 'new'. It's also the reason I was a joiner and really did everything I wanted to do before I was 45. My dad died of Pancreatic cancer. Luckily I lived to be 46.

The upside to my dad's death, assuming there can be such a benefit, was I no longer had to seek his permission to start a business, to build a dome,.....

Life is full of these transition makers, many never notice them, I really try to see them and benefit in some way from them.

Thanks for your thoughts, you may be a transition impulse.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #35

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...One result of RVing has been change in us. We no longer seek much in the way of possessions...I'm impressed by Ginny's adaptability.
: ) I've enjoyed the posts in this thread, thought i'd say hello...
Cari and I are sooo there too.
One thing living the past ~25 years on the Oregon Coast has done was get us out of window shopping at any local _Mall_...the closest one is 100+ miles away. Living full time in our home-on-wheels has been a joy and very freeing in the way of need for "stuff".
For the most part, we have replaced our past time stuff from tangible items to digital items that bring the same joy. Books to eBooks, table-top-games to multiplayer games on our iPads, Art-painting to Digital art on iPad, musical instruments to Digital versions waaaay beyond what I could even hope for in real-world versions, now all on my iPad (her's has all her fun past time iOS versions also.)

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #36

Florida
Frank, In the lower 48 Oregon is probably our favorite, certainly way up on the list. Good Choice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #37

Florida
"One thing living the past ~25 years on the Oregon Coast has done was get us out of window shopping at any local _Mall_...the closest one is 100+ miles away." - accrete

We just came from Machias, Maine the county seat of Washington county Maine. Machias is the county seat of this 35,000 person county; Machias has only 2200 people. This is a rather large county for the northeast, about half the size of the state of Connecticut at 2300 square miles. As you can imagine there are simply few stores and many towns have none. I believe there are no movie theaters in the whole county.

I believe this breeds a different type of community, different relationships within the community. In Newfoundland it is even more the case where many communities have only recently been connected by roads.

Personally I like different.

Machias also has a small branch of the state university, this adds a special quality to a small town. The area is very attractive to me. I could live here. Property is very reasonable.

Machias is Native American for "bad little falls". You need to go to these little places, not looking for a splash or excitement, but a patient understanding of what happens here.

Frank we have an Oregon coastal town like Machias, Port Orford; we've been there 7 times, a marvelous coastal region i never tire of always eating at the Crazy Norwegian, always getting their razzleberry pie.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #38

Florida
Going Back...

Sometime ago Ellpea encouraged me to write a book. Her encouragement and particularly title suggestion led me into a regular morning habit of writing for an hour or so. I finished the first draft of the book in amazing short order. Today I started going back thru it doing a re-writing and organization.

The writing was a great adventure a discovery of what lurks inside.

As I read what I wrote I recognize how much fun we've had over the last 15 years. When we get back to New England I'll give it to Ginny to read, that will be a hoot in itself.

For the rest of you life on the road has been wonderful. It's a more focused less rush life.

We have blessed ourselves by choosing our life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #39

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Norm, that's awesome. I'm so glad you decided to go forward with this project! Let us know what Ginny thinks about your book, and what you plan to do with it next!

Best,
Ellpea
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #40

Florida
But for you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Norm, that's awesome. I'm so glad you decided to go forward with this project! Let us know what Ginny thinks about your book, and what you plan to do with it next!

Best,
Ellpea
It would not have happened but for your suggestions. Thank you. Next I plan to give it a second pass, probably on our trip to NL. After that I'll deliver it to the kids and Ginny and ......we'll see/

I would suggest it for anyone. It was really fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #41

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Interesting forum - gives me hope that I'll eventually give up my acre of rhodies, native plants and the nasty ivy - all which keep me from enjoying my summers in my Scamp. Ginny, I'm looking for ideas on how to improve storage in my 13 ft Scamp "kitchen" and bathroom...your suggestions/photos would be helpful. I'm getting ready to travel this summer - no plans,no reservations, just go.
Thanks,
Marilyn
Old 04-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #42

Florida
Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Interesting forum - gives me hope that I'll eventually give up my acre of rhodies, native plants and the nasty ivy - all which keep me from enjoying my summers in my Scamp. Ginny, I'm looking for ideas on how to improve storage in my 13 ft Scamp "kitchen" and bathroom...your suggestions/photos would be helpful. I'm getting ready to travel this summer - no plans,no reservations, just go.
Thanks,
Marilyn
I have modified my son's 1977 Scamp 13. We converted the bed into a full time bed. We converted the front couch into a 2 person dinette with storage under the seats and a two person table between the seats. Above the dinette we added a storage shelf and just below the front window a small storage shelf.

In the rear under the bed we have two four foot deep pull out drawers. Each draw has two plastic bins for clothes storage. Above the bed we built a full with cabinet similar to the one in our trailer.

In the sink area I added a drawer and shelves to provide organized storage. The closet across from the sink has been sub divided into shelves. On the front of the closet door I built a small folding table.

On the rear bumper of the trailer I added a large storage box like mine.

My trailer is a Scamp 16 and can be seen at

Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16

I just realized you have a front bath and my son doesn't. IN my bath I added a bunch of wall mount shelves and containers.

As to your home and plants and giving up stuff. Not everyone can easily do this. We did and feel relieved. We just had too much stuff, unused stuff and happily gave it away with no regrets. Many can't do this.. some feel defined by their stuff and space. It's not us, that's all. We love our days and nights on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16