Ginny "Really a Fulltimer" - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny "Really a Fulltimer"

Ginny said "I really feel like a fulltimer now"... that we've gotten rid of practically everything.

They just built a Hobby Lobby nearby and since we have never been in one, we stopped by. Ginny just "Stuff, stuff everywhere".

One result of RVing has been change in us. We no longer seek much in the way of possessions.

Now that we have a winter place in FL all the people who visited us at our summer place in NH are planning to come to FL. Ginny and I are considering inverting our travel style, having visitors for 3-4 months in FL and traveling in the fall and spring.

We're flexible and I suspect will like the intensity of winter visits over the summer time in NH.

I'm impressed by Ginny's adaptability.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #2

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
sweet

You go Girl

Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Old 08-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
You got yourself a keeper Norm!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #5

Florida
As we shed the trappings of our traditional life there seems to be little empty feeling, no withdrawal from the stuff, actually a freeing. Much of the stuff of life takes a lot of support time.

When we came home to NH I was telling one of our neighbors we were going to sell, she has a home here and in Hilton Head, SC. She related the story of buying the home in SC. The agent told her that in 5 years she would get rid of one of the homes. She would come to realize that it is just too much, not financially but physically. THis week she put her NH home up for sale.

We've shed 50 year old stuff but not discreet memories or general feelings of the pleasure we've experienced over the years. The product of the 'stuff', children, family and friends, still lives within us and particular in Ginny, who has a more discreet memory for people and events.

I just realized, our shared road experience of 15 years on the road exceeds the absolute amount of time we spent together in our first 35 years of marriage and certainly overwhelms the 'awake time' we have spent together in the first 35 years. The reality is that during the married years, discounting sleep time, the number of hours a couple spends together can be measured in a few hours a day, and few of the hours are high quality.

Now we spend virtually every hour together. It's rare when we're apart for more than an hour in a day. I may be out working on the trailer, she may be making dinner but neither us is more than 100 feet apart (our NH lot is 110x60).

Definitely this was an unintended consequence of our travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Sounds wonderful, Norm. Looking forward to a similar lifestyle in a couple more years. You two look so happy in your profile picture! And you're so right about possessions. They can own you if you don't really enjoy them enough. Also right about quality time together. Thanks for another great post.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #7

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Yep. When I got rid of all my "Stuff", I did not feel sad, I felt liberated. Its almost impossible to explain to others, yet it is so simple.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #8

Florida
It's too easy to be defined by your stuff, your car, your garden, your home. They certainly are representative of you but they are not you. I recognize that they can be parasitic, absorbing your time, though it may be pleasurable, it can be dominating.

Pleasurable but dominating, this week a couple of people have started Heroin discussions. There's cheap heroin and now that the marijuana business is being taken over by the state governments the Mexican cartels are pushing cheap heroin. Death's of typically young people via heroin are now regular....

Not suggesting your garden is heroin but it can absorb your time and chain you to the property. Before we began our adventures, we had two large flower gardens. WOrk and time. I know some might find it an ugly thought but it was stuff and unless you have a gardener, they can tie you down. It's truly small stuff but when you make a list of where your time goes.... Don't you keep track of your time?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

Florida
Time Budget

We doubled our income our first year in business but at the end of the year we had accumulated no additional savings. We decided to write down everything we spent in categories . It was not a budget but it had the effect; it made us conscious of what we spent before we did. It resulted in substantial savings the second year.

I was wondering about a time budget, where you have categories for what you do...shopping, cooking, eating, yard work, ..... It might tell you something about your life.

Just a thought....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Definitely an uplifting experience for us. We have been downsizing and our house is on the market. We have taken a lot of stuff in batches to the Goodwill and each time, I feel so invigorated. We had 3 or 4 furniture items that we put on the curb with a "Free Stuff" sign and that turned out to be a delight for us and the people who stopped and left with a big smile!

I don't suppose that everyone feels this way. I mean, look at the hoarders.

Really, living among so many people, much older than us, I see them in their 80s having to leave their homes and it literally kills them to give up their things of which many end up in big boxes sold for $2.00 a box IF anyone even bids. The auctions break my heart but have shown me how I don't want my fate to be the same.

Sending some of the precious stuff to my older son.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #11

Florida
Cathy,

I know what you mean by "Sending some of the precious stuff to my older son". WHen Ginny was a teenager she bought a silver plate set for a $1 a week at a local jeweler (total price $40).

Ginny created a list for everyone who wanted something. Our son requested the silverware. Now almost 60 years later after the original purchase we sent it to our son (with his silver baby cup) to his home in Seattle. Shipping price $43.

It's all kind of funny.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
Gardens

So norm, gardens are now on your bad list eh. You seem to be enamored with "full timing" and everything else is an obsession. I have noticed that many of the things that I eat, things that sustain life, are grown in a garden or a field. Sometimes by you, er.... Not you, by your neighbor or by a distant farmer. You in particular may not be interested in associating with that process because it does not allow your soul to be free to "full time". Some of the delight that you seem to get from the full timing thing I get from growing food and grazing my cattle.
Steve McCarthy
Old 08-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #13

Florida
Steve,

I am sorry you dislike me, I rarely attempt to displease others. When I was in politics my mentor said you’ll get in trouble by wearing your heart on your sleeve. He was a true professional politician and I was not. My visible heart never hurt me. I believe in being open.

Actually Steve, I appreciate both vegetable and flower gardens and had gardens for many years. As to farming my grandfather earned a living as a farmer for many decades. During my youthful summers I spent many weeks on the farm and loved it. I've never raised cattle but appreciate the source of food and those people that produce it.

At least for you, I picked a poor example for my thought on a Time Budget, or rather the consideration of how we spend our time. For many of us, like the management of money, I believe we fail to consider the management of our time. My view is that by understanding how we use time we may be able to make more effective use of time. The reality is most people think that have neither enough money nor enough time. My point was not to attack gardeners but rather to inspire people to consider how they use their time.

I gave an example of how we managed to make better use of our money. I was suggesting it might be good to consider the approach for time.

The reality is we’re not full timers, just 2/3rds of the time, a concession to Ginny. I’d love to be a full timer. More than that I wish I had used my life better than I did.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 AM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
So norm, gardens are now on your bad list eh...
Steve I'm sorry that you felt the need to post a personal attack against Norm. Norm was simply sharing his feelings and experiences during this transition. I for one deeply appreciate his comments because I am going through the same decisions and emotions. I became disabled physically several years ago and that had required physical and emotional adjustments. And now I have come to the realization that all of my stuff - the possessions that I have enjoyed and cherished are a weight around my neck and may become a trap if I become more disabled. Like Norm, Ginny, and Cathy, I'm sorting, throwing out, and planning on what to sell and keep. I don't want to be that elderly person struggling and smothering in stuff. I will probably rent my home while I on the road and will probably rent a small apartment for my stuff. I can't wait to get on the road!

Steve not everyone is the same. We can only speak for ourselves and that is what Norm was doing. I'm wishing you the best! Michael