Graduating to Fulltime - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Graduating to Fulltime

If you are graduating to fulltime, let us all know.

Where are you going first?

What have you done to get your rig ready to go?

How long before you cut the ties and take off?
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I see lots of views and no replies.
Just so you don't feel ignored Mike, I would have to say , I don't know when( thanks to the economy), I'm not sure where, although somewhere in the July time frame I would think Lake Louise and mosey backhome via Canada. I'm thinking a couple of months of travel to get our feet wet.

Rig is ready as far as I'm concerned. Maybe just a few more little things like Solar.

I want to say the cut will be next spring but ...........

I have a feeling I'm not alone in these thoughts.

You lucky guy you... I should have bailed when you did.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I will be in the Burro absolutely fulltime in a few weeks. I cut the big ties in March of 09. The season will end at the campground I am at very soon, tho I will be returning next summer. What little stuff I brought with me will be in storage at the campground awaiting my return.

I took my "Fender Bucks" and paid off most all of my bills, the car is now paid for thanks to a lovely gift from my mother, and I pretty much am unencumbered by debt at this point in time. I still have to eat, as does my herd, and there will be a long road ahead prepping for when my COBRA runs out. Internet, phone and car insurance all have to be paid,

The Burro is no longer a "Camper" if that makes sense, it is my home. It has been spruced up and beefed up to make it very comfortable for full timing. I specifically set it up with systems to make boondocking as luxurious as I could, and it worked. New solar (115 watts) new g29 battery, new computer with an 8 hour battery life, new LEDs, new Wave6 heater, repaired the furnace "Just in case"... all in prep for the possibility I may have to rely on the trailer in less the stellar territory. It paid off..as....

My next stop will most likely be one of the LTVAs in Quartzsite while a doing a little consulting work for an amplifier manufacturer in Arizona. I will need to be close to Flagstaff, but won't live there in the snow, and I also still have to be close to California for medical reasons until I get another job with insurance bennies. The LTVA will allow me to live for the entire off season for 180 bones, but I will have to tote water and use my blue boy for waste. Since I will be arriving early in the season, I will get a spot close to the "ammenities" (LOL) before the crowds arrive.

I can still look for work from the LTVA as my line(s) are resume based, not knock on doors, and should a job arise, I can pick up and get out quickly without any prep or loss. So, my plans are firmly set in Jello for now.

Not often does one get the "opportunity" to live like that without guilt or worry. I will have to reopen my unemployment claim for California to fill the gap the consulting won't, but it is good to know I have a LONG time that I can do that, and it is full pop as well, so I may actually get a chance to save some money... but I would rather have a danged job!

Full timing and having to work is not easy, but even with limited resources in the cash dept... the worst day still beats the best day in the stix-n-brix world... hands down.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Gina,
Are you going to put the new solar panel(s) on the roof, or use a free-standing rack like you were before? I remember seeing in a previous post that you had upgraded, but I can't remember how you installed the new system. It seems like you'd get plenty of sun on the roof if you'll be in the Quartzsite area. It will be good to learn how the water and waste toting works out in actual practice. Hope it doesn't become too onerous.

Glad your campground gig worked out so well.

Best Regards, and hugs to all the critters,
Pamela S.

Forgot to ask: what kind of computer did you get? 8 hour battery life sounds great.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #5

Registry
My panels are free standing, tho I have made a fixture to lock them to the tongue of the trailer.

The computer I got is an Acer Aspire 1 with the 6 cell battery. They claim a 7 hour life, but I have gotten over 8, and I can charge it in less than an hour with a little 70watt inverter.

The screen is smallish, but fine for surfing, and I also have a larger laptop for doing "work" things on.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Did you get the Linux or Windows version? I just checked out their website and it looks pretty nice.
Pamela S.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #7

Registry
windows
Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
We plan to be "fulltiming" it starting next April/May, and have been working on making mods to the trailer to make this as comfortable as possible, (you can see what we have been doing in the Mods section of this forum under "more updates" ). Our basic plan is to make April '10 our last paying rent month at our current home in Houston. Pack up a pod, load up the trailer and car with what we deem necessary for the road and head out to Kerrville Folk Fest that starts mid May, lasts for 3 weeks. It's a music/camping festival in Kerrville TX. Then we plan to head up through NM, into CO for a stop in at the Valley View Hot Springs, to further unwind from the city living stresses. Then we head west, towards Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce. From there we plan to head up through central NV up to OR. We have found many free or low cost camp grounds along this entire route. We are also trying to space out the driving so that most days are no longer than 5-6 hours in the car before we get to stop and camp. Once up in OR who knows how long we will stay living in the Scamp... we do plan to eventually find another rental house, but that will be after staying in the trailer for several months. May not be completely full time, but it will be for a while until we find the next place to settle into.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
My panels are free standing, tho I have made a fixture to lock them to the tongue of the trailer.
Gina, what kind did you come up with to lock up your panels? I have always felt that security with free standing ones could be an issue especially if you use a long cord to get them into direct sunlight. I really don't want to have to carry a 25 foot chain too.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #10

Registry
Right now, I use my Denver Boot to clamp the two panels together, pinching the tips of the boot under the lips of the side channels of the panels. I then run a Kryptonite flexlock thru the boot and around the frame of the trailer. Makes the array very awkward to move and handle.. If someone tries to steal the panels, they will break the glass trying to manipulate the boot to cut it.

I am looking for a more elegant solution however. But that's another thread.