Have cat will travel?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Name: Mary
Trailer: currently shopping
Question Have cat will travel??

Hi all! Happy to be here, I have read a few posts and know I am in just the right place! I have owned a couple travel trailers in my past and a cab over camper once. I had more fun than I can say with the camper, the Argosy trailer was a full time (parked) adventure during the winter in Nevada so it was more of a challenge than a pleasure.....

My current life finds me driving a new V-6 Chevy Traverse and considering a small fiberglass RV to travel for about 9 months during yet another transition in my life....I won't be working and plan to stop along the way around the Country looking for a new place to settle. I already have two States in mind, but could use the break by just chilling along the way....Here is my (one of them) issues and questions I have a beloved 12 year old Kitty Cat (I just lost his sibling a few months back). He would be my traveling companion....much to his dismay, I imagine. Have any of you taken a cat along for the ride? What about cabin fever for him? Did you want to gag due to the close quarters with the cat box? Did he/she ever escape? Can it even be done?????

Any suggestions for your favorite RV and size and why, interior layout preference if you have done it before ~ (for me and my friend), reliability of a V-6 to pull it over the Mountains, safety issues (do I need a weapon?), how many places can you REALLY park for free, would you even consider it?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments or suggestions!!!

Safe travels everyone!

Mary on the move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Mary, and welcome aboard.

Lots of great options for trailers, with most folk leaning towards what they own. I would suggest you do lots of reading on here, and see what folks have to say, then come back at us with all your questions.

Do you have a budget in mind? Are you looking for new or used?

You will also have to define your own needs for a trailer. Whether you want a full bath, full time bed, air conditioning, solar, and on, and on. Many of these questions, and others that come up along the way, will bear on your final decision.

Not sure what your current vehicle tow rating is, but if it is the vehicle you intend to use, you should check the manufactures load ratings, as this will help guide you with what you can pull. Do allow for the weight of all the stuff loaded aboard too, with full-timing it will be a bit higher.

Most of all, have yourself some great fun with the decision process, as it is an exciting process finding and outfitting a new trailer, as I am sure you experienced with your previous purchases.

As far as cats go, HERE is just one of many threads on travelling with them.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Hi Mary, welcome to FGRV. I'm sure you'll find all the answers to your questions here. lol

I can speak to the question of taking your senior cat with you as you travel. My 18 year old Manx, Bobby, has been travelling with me for several years. To be sure while we have not lived fulltime in the Trillium, we have done 6-7 weeks at a time.

Bobby is basically an indoor cat to start with so being kept indoors does not upset him. A few times when he wandered outside while we were camping in a strange area, he came back to me when I called.....but he almost always comes when called. Acouple times something startled him when he was outside and he made a bee-line for the camper.....as he views that as his 'safe' harbour.

I use one of the storage areas under one of the seats as a place to keep his litter box. There was a door in the side of the seat and I just leave it open for him. This same storage area has an access door to the outside that I use to reach the litter box for cleaning.

The biggest worry about having an animal with you is the fact that you have to be aware of the temp inside the camper.....especially if you leave the animal alone in the shut up camper for any length of time.

Good luck with your hunt for your own 'egg'.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We are the folks in the thread posted above who took one of our cats to Florida with us over the Christmas Break. It was really a good experience. I loved having "my" kitty with me and she seemed to like the freedom of being in the trailer. Off the bed... run the floor... jump on the other bed. Repeat frequently!

I would suggest you try to drive a bit with your kitty in a safe carrier. If you prop it up by a window, he can see out, too. After a few miles, try letting him out and see if he can handle the movement. Of course, place a small litter box in the tow vehicle for potty emergencies and have some treats and water, too. You may find you have a new traveling companion!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
It sounds like IF you have the factory towing kit, with a 5200 lb. towing capacity that your Traverse will easily tow almost any of th FGRV's discussed hereabouts.
Here is a link to a discussion on towing with your vehicle:
Chevy Traverse Forum: Will the Traverse tow this camper safely?
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote