Health Insurance - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 AM   #1

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Assuming one is not retired and on Medicare or other type of retirement benefit insurance...

what do you do for health insurance and what types of costs do you run into?

Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
This is the biggy for me. I reach full retirement in a bit less than four years. Right now, full retirement brings paid (mostly) insurance. I fall into the "age 67 for Medicare" group. Paying insurance premiums for 8 years would take a huge bite out of my monthly income. Rather than do that, I'd keep working

Interesting topic, hope members respond.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #3

West Coast USA
Registry
I met a couple last week that full timed in a 5th wheel. They were a bit young to retire, and were not eligable for retirement type benefits. When they sold thier house, they plopped the money in the bank and pay for thier extensive insurance with the interest from that account.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #4

Name: Vivian
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Washington
Health insurance is a biggie even for us on Medicare since the supplement policies are very expensive, and the Medicare Advantage plans are usually specific to a geographic area. They will cover emegency care outside of the home base area, but as I understand it, we would need to have our annual care provided by our primary doctor to get prescription refills.

Will be very interested in the experience and avice of others.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Fortunately for me, retirement from being a Corporate Cubicle Convict included a good deal on health insurance, with me paying a large supplement but nothing like paying from scratch. BTW, I am one of those people who believe insurance is for the big $$ stuf, like cancer, and not for the piddling run-of-the-mill stuf.

What I found was that an HMO was unworkable for me, traveling around as I did, however, it would work for the kind of FullTimer who basically moves back and forth between two places (aka SnowBirding between the old home town and a sunny clime). For out-of-state, non-emergency needs, one had to shift plans to a state where one intended to be for 3-6 months and find a new Primary Care Physician (PCP). So I switched to a fee-for-service plan (aka Preferred Provider O, PPO), where after an annual deductible, I pay 20% and the plan pays 80%.

I believe the HMO problem was that each plan is licensed to operate in a state and maybe not outside the state, as evidenced by the state name in the legal name for the plan.

Then I found out that there was a trend amongst practitioners that they would not prescribe renewals without an actual office visit where someone saw me and took my BP and pulse. I also discovered that many practitioners were not accepting new patients, esp short-term ones, further complicated by difficulties getting past the 'staff barrier' to explain things.

Even seeming networks, like the VA, are actually a chain of loosely linked providers. Had I not come off the road, I was going to try using the emergency rooms of the VA (per advice from several VA hospitals) to get my prescriptions.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #6

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Unfortunately I think for full timers the system is only setup for healthy retirees. I don't think it was setup that way but that is the results of the way it is. When we moved from Va to Fla my supplemental ins was going to double so I had to go from the "I plan" in Va to the "F plan" in Fl. My wife (7 years younger) had quit work so her insurance comes out of pocket as does my supplemental to the tune 520.00 a month. We had thought about stopping the supplemental butttt. We are very blessed to have good health to this point. and have not had to use any non local medical facilities. Does all this have any answers in a registered domicile and would GoodSam membership have any answers???? I know they insure about everything else for full timers. Lets not mention the stock market
Old 08-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #7

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Since I retired from the Navy Reserves, and not the regular Navy, I am not elligible for Tricare Insurance, or being seen at a Military Hospital, such as Balboa Naval Regional Medical Center, here in San Diego. My primary care physician is with the VA. I qualified for that under the law signed in 1996 that expanded VA elligibility to those veterans without service connected disabilities. I fall under category 8, and my co-payment is $50 per appointment. Each of my prescriptions are $8 per month supply.

I also carry Blue Shield PPO insurance, premiums presently 100% reimbursed by my employer. The VA bills Blue Shield and accepts whatever Blus Shield pays, and writes off the balance.

A few years ago, I was a victim of an assault with a painball gun fired point-blank at my left temple and eye. The ambulance dispached by 911 refused to transport to the VA hospital. I was seen at the nearest city hospital, and was left with $3000 out-of-pocket expense.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Hmm, I would be inclined to look into Small Claims Court over that one. You might get reimbursement from either the ambulance company or whoever they have the contract with.

I'm going to be looking further into it when I get to 65 and the MediCare Mess
Old 08-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
I am on MediCare and finding there are big holes in what it covers. My supplement plan only covers the balance of what MediCare covers. So if MediCare doesnít cover something, youíre out of luck.

Also, with MediCare you donít have an agent or someone to deal with.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #10

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Smile

Quote:
Hmm, I would be inclined to look into Small Claims Court over that one.
It is a long story, too long to go into here.
Suffice it to say that the $3000 was the [b]gap that my Blue Shield ($2000 annual Deductible, 80% coverage of approved charges) Policy did not pay. The total cost of transportation, treatment, and follow-up for that one incident was in excess of $9000.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
I decided to see what the professional Fulltimers do. So I went over to Escapee - Health Insurance FT -looking for those who have it to read a little.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #12

West Coast USA
Registry
Thank you Mike!

I read a single line in one of those post about RISK POOLS for the uninsurable. (I pretty much fall into that category if looking for private insurance.. tho in another 6 mos.. no HMO can deny me for one of my pre existings... YAY!)

Anyway, this is an option I did not know even existed. If I understand it correctly, certain States (Oregon being one) will provide insurance options to those that are uninsurable by private providers for pre existing serious conditions, such as Cancer etc. If anyone here has experience with this, you know the door will get slammed in your face instantly when the "C" word is even whispered. Regardless of "cured" status.

In Oregon, I am instantly eligible due to 2 pre existing conditions in their list of auto qualifying conditions. (Rheumatoid Arthritis and Cancer) I don't even need to bother with a denial letter from a private application.. they know I will automatically be denied.

You PAY for this insurance, it isn't a government run health program for low income at government facilities (In Oregon, the actual coverage is thru Blue Cross, for example) but looking thru the rates, they don't seem all that bad EX: At first glance, my rate would be 237 a month. The devil is in the details tho, I need to look closer. There are things about COBRA and lifetime caps that I need to learn about. What about being out of state when care is needed etc...

It's learning about things like this that make me have faith that the middle class working stiff DOES get a break sometimes.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
It's interesting that this discussion is all about 'insurance' rather than health care. If I'm not careful here Ill get on my soap box.

We've searched and searched for insurance too and fortunately, so far we're both healthy enough not to need much health care. We decided years ago to buy only catastrophe insurance and pay everything else out of pocket. Still it costs us $300+ per month for coverage by Golden Rule that will only pay for major medical expenses. We've never used it so I can't say how well it actually covers but from my reading it seems reasonable.

We don't go to doctors routinely except that we do our dental check-ups and eye exams. Of course, we have to pay for those. We're the people that insurance companies want to insure. No claims, pay the premiums.

At our age, (early 60s) we're prime meat for providers, too. If we had the usual insurance, we'd likely be going regularly to GPs, Internists, Urologists, Orthopedists, Chiropodists, Chiropractors, Ophthalmologists, etc. etc. Not to mention the supporting organizations like radiologists, chemistry labs, pharmacies, etc. It's impossible to say but I'll bet we're depriving some otherwise fiscally responsible MD from making his Mercedes payment. I mean that if we had a routine physical, I'm sure the health care system could find something to bill somebody for. Oops, soap box again.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Our experience is similar to Bill and Karen's. The premiums for the "Blues" have really gone up in the last few years, over $500 per month in CA for those who retire before 65 and have to pay their own premiums. I went on Medicare this year, so my premiums dropped to about $200 per month (AARP). Peggy's are still $500 (Blue Shield). Medical insurance is a big factor in the decision to retire early.

Don't get me started on utilizing the "system". It is very, very arbitrary and unfair. Don't be passive and speak up for what you want and need! The new movie called "Sicko" is not all fantasy. The problem with choosing medical insurance is, you only know what you needed in the past, not what you will need in the future! My philosophy for insurance is to try to cover the biggies, like surgeries, hospitalizations, cancer, etc. I considered going bare (no insurance) when I first retired, which would have worked out because I've been healthy. But....(a b-i-g financial risk).
Peggy wouldn't let me do it!

BTW, you go on Medicare when you turn 65 (if not in another gov system or you get on earlier because of some condition like renal dialysis). IOW, you don't have to wait until your full SS benefits retirement date.