Heat options? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: Casita 17
North Carolina
Heat options?

My girlfriend bought a Casita to stay in when working in Greenville NC, usually three nights a week. The unit was not winterized and she has no water hookup so is just sleeping there a couple nights a week. Typically the temperature doesn’t get below 30 degrees and she’s been using a portable heater when it’s chilly.

The concern is when she isn’t there for a 3-4 day period and very cold weather is forecast. She doesn’t want to leave the portable heater on due to fire safety issues but is also concerned about any tanks or pipes freezing.

She does not have the ability at this time to ensure tanks are empty and/or blow out the lines. Is there any option recommended like a ceramic heater that might be okay to leave on the bathroom floor?

Or are there simple easy to follow instructions on how to winterize the unit until the spring when her brother will set her up with water etc?

I should also mention she is using a regular extension cord to power the Casita but hasn’t been running more than the refrigerator and a few lights at night.

Thanks for any help!
Mshannonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Google Winterizing Casita and I am sure you can find plenty of instructions. We use a box electric heater, on the lower output setting and set the temperature pretty low. We haven’t had a storage problem with it.

I’d get at least a 15 amp extension cord.

“Typical” temperatures are not what will get you, it’s the several day cold snap. Depending on the year of the trailer, Casita used water piping that is not freeze friendly.

No ability to drain stuff? Often it’s opening a valve. Any person that can surf the web can quickly master winterizing. If not call a mobile RV tech. Possible freeze damage will exceed what the tech will charge.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
when putting a heater in a tight space such as a bathroom you have a problem of getting the heat output too close to a wall or other surface. So to avoid that having a heater that has the ability to swivel up to direct the heat away from directly facing into a wall is a good advantage in a tight space.

There is one such heater I know about that has good reviews for being quiet and reliable. The lowest cost for ordering it could well be Home Depot. Free delivery to the store. It is a Lasko heater with the Stanley brand attached to it because it is often used in garages and workshop spaces. Lasko is a reputable brand of ceramic heater. It does have that yellow workshop coloration but that is OK for safety, you are less likely to trip over it or knock into it if you see the bright yellow color.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-...5919/202843067
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #4

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
when putting a heater in a tight space such as a bathroom you have a problem of getting the heat output too close to a wall or other surface. So to avoid that having a heater that has the ability to swivel up to direct the heat away from directly facing into a wall is a good advantage in a tight space.

There is one such heater I know about that has good reviews for being quiet and reliable. The lowest cost for ordering it could well be Home Depot. Free delivery to the store. It is a Lasko heater with the Stanley brand attached to it because it is often used in garages and workshop spaces. Lasko is a reputable brand of ceramic heater. It does have that yellow workshop coloration but that is OK for safety, you are less likely to trip over it or knock into it if you see the bright yellow color.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-...5919/202843067

One feature that most small ceramic heaters have that are intended for indoor use is a switch on the bottom for tip over protection, to prevent a fire in case the unit gets knocked over.

The linked heater does not appear to have such protection.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I would feel perfectly confident using a ceramic heater, set on low (750-1000 watt). As already stated, make sure to use a quality extension cord. Just set the thermostat on the heater to the low setting - usually about 45 degrees (have to test this out with your individual heater). This should keep the trailer well above freezing. Make sure cabinet doors, bathroom door, and the dinette benches are left open so that the heat can circulate to where the plumbing is.

Keeping the heater on the lower heat output setting should remove, or at least greatly reduce, any possibility of overloading the circuits. Place the heater in the middle of the floor and make sure nothing is sitting on the counters above it that could possibly fall onto the heater. Make sure the heater is pointing into the open area of the floor and that their is at least a few inches in back of the heater to allow adequate air circulation.

I have kept my Scamp heated in this way for over three years now, with zero problems here in Michigan. I do keep the water tank empty and pump as much water as possible out of the lines. If you have drain lines and pumps exposed under the trailer, keeping the inside heated will do nothing to protect them. Same with a water heater. Perhaps add RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank, then run it through all the lines. Also, pour some down the drains and, if you have a shower drain pump, run it for a bit to make sure the pump and traps are filled with antifreeze. If you do all of this, then keeping the trailer heated is much less critical. Will take a LOT of flushing come spring if you allow it to get into the water heater, but will not cause any damage.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i've used the ceramic heater for cold weather with great results. for a few bucks you can purchase a "barn thermostat". plugs into a wall outlet and the heater plugged into it. turns the heater on at 34 degrees (maybe 36) and shuts off when the temp is safely above freezing. or for more $ (around $30 as well as i remember) you can purchase a regular thermostat that also plugs into a wall outlet that's programable just like your home unit. the only drawback i've found is that the temperature sensor is mounted on the thermostat and responds to the temperature around the wall outlet. placement of the heater in the trailer is a trial and error thing.

i agree with the previous posters suggestions about leaving cabinet doors open. the lower doors, the closet and the bath are the critical ones. also, of course, safety precautions.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I second the suggestion (Bill's) to get an exterior 15 amp extension cord. You may never need the heater set to much more than low which would be considerably less than 15 amps but she might eventually add a coffee maker or a hair drier or whatever. And an exterior cord is usually more UV resistant.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I picked up a 15 amp cord from amazon cheap. What made it cheap was the color, it’s pink! I figured there would be less chance I would lose it. 12 gauge wire
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
While they are too large to be practical while you are in the trailer, an oil filled heater is about as safe as you can get. Available from as little as 600 watt to 1500 watt. No fire concerns, even if you drape fabric across one.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #10

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
While they are too large to be practical while you are in the trailer, an oil filled heater is about as safe as you can get. Available from as little as 600 watt to 1500 watt. No fire concerns, even if you drape fabric across one.
Some are smaller. We used Comfort Zone oil filled heater for over ten years in our Scamp and Casita campers here in cold Minnesota. It finally got brittle and fell apart.

We are now using a Honeywell 360 degree heater. It can be held while working, is extremely small, and easily heats our Escape 5.0 TA (numerous 20 degree nights, so far).

If I can't hold on to any part of the heater while it is working it won't go in our camper. Both of these run cool, but you get a full 1500 watt heater.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Back in the day I was Electrical superintendent of one of the largest Cement plants in the country and each time we had contractors on site for shutdowns etc. we had a problem with extension cords and welding leads disappearing.
Since we bought enough to have special things made for us I had welding cables (on big spools etc) and extension cords made special. PINK with labeling of the rating and "This cable stolen from Texas Lehigh Cement" on them.
Easy to spot in a contractor's trailer and no argument as to who owned them.
Fewer guys will steal the PINK ones too...
I still have a PINK ratcheting Snap On screwdriver from 1992 as well. All of the others have long since disappeared. An ugly neon green one stayed until the ratchet wore out as well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #12

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
I bought one of these as a final heat option.

https://slumberjack.com/big-timber-pro-minus-20/

I recommend one for each person. If you look around on the internet you can find them for less money. Pretty nice thing to have in your car if you get stuck in a blizzard.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We live outside Tarboro, about 25 miles from Greenville. Drop me a PM if We can be of any assistance.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:33 AM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Back in the day I was Electrical superintendent of one of the largest Cement plants in the country and each time we had contractors on site for shutdowns etc. we had a problem with extension cords and welding leads disappearing.
Since we bought enough to have special things made for us I had welding cables (on big spools etc) and extension cords made special. PINK with labeling of the rating and "This cable stolen from Texas Lehigh Cement" on them.
Easy to spot in a contractor's trailer and no argument as to who owned them.
Fewer guys will steal the PINK ones too...
I still have a PINK ratcheting Snap On screwdriver from 1992 as well. All of the others have long since disappeared. An ugly neon green one stayed until the ratchet wore out as well.
When I was taking a CNC course at the local college I put hot pink paint on all my tools for fast identification. I never had any of them "go missing". It also helps when working on projects with my partner when it comes time to put things away, he can tell at a glance it does not belong to him.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: HiPoint Toy Hauler
California
Worked best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I went through about every kind of heater made. I have a few burn scars to prove it. Jon is absolutely right. The Oil filled Radiator Heater is the best by far. They do come in various sizes and the smaller 3-4 tube units work well in smaller campers.
They are easily temp adjusted and have tip over switches too boot. There is no noisy fan running all the time, just nice quiet heat :-)
They also store quite easily. They are about 2ft tall by 18" long and 6" deep.
AND, a great benefit is you can come in from being out in the cold and set your cold buns right on the heater! (I draped a towel over it first)
They also help dry things like towels, socks and gloves too. Want a warm blanket? Drape one over it for a few minutes and enjoy!
I never had a worry about leaving it on while I was gone or at night. (No need to get out of a warm bed to a cold camper!)
I found the heat to be more even and consistent. But remember ANY heater is dry heat and with dry heat comes it's own issues so prepare to add occasional moisture in some form.(I left a window cracked open for fresh moist air most of the time but making a cup of tea will add the needed moisture to the air. You don't want too much moisture either!)
I used mine through some cold deep snow winters in Wenatchee Washington with no problem in my 26ft Pace Arrow. Sitting around in shorts in the middle of winter was a treat!
However, everyone has their own temp and preferences so if you've got a mind to spend around $30 to find out you can find them at most stores like Walmart etc.
(They are 120vac units)
Good Luck and Stay Warm!
Roger M. Sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #16

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We are now using a Honeywell 360 degree heater. It can be held while working, is extremely small, and easily heats our Escape 5.0 TA (numerous 20 degree nights, so far).

I'd like to know if it will shut off when it reaches the temperature you set it at. I see from the description it says "adjustable thermostat" but I've learned that doesn't mean what I think it means. I think it means it'll shut off at 70 degrees or whatever I've set it at.

I've tried multiple heaters that say that but don't shut down. To them it just means you can set different temperatures. Not quite what I want.

So, does the above referenced heater shut off when the area surrounding it reaches 70 (or whatever it's set at) temperature. and does it make any noise? I've stopped using ones that make noise from the fan.

Right now I'm using a portable baseboard-type heater that does take up quite a bit of floor space. And no way would I want to put my socks on there to dry 'em off. Much less my posterior!

Thanks!

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #17

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger M. Sonora View Post
. The Oil filled Radiator Heater is the best by far. They do come in various sizes and the smaller 3-4 tube units work well in smaller campers.
They are easily temp adjusted and have tip over switches too boot. There is no noisy fan running all the time, just nice quiet heat :-)
They also store quite easily. They are about 2ft tall by 18" long and 6" deep.

We have some of the tall ones in some of our rooms but they're way too big for hauling out to the trailer and stashing it away while the traveling. and too heavy!

Which small ones are you talking about?

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: HiPoint Toy Hauler
California
Radiator heaters

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...hite/681622973

They have changed a little since I purchased one but they last forever.(10yrs and running) I still have the floor and stand up models that work like a champ. The temperature setting are variable so it's up to you where to set it. I only use the numbers on any thermostat as a starting point and then fine tune by my nose and toes. If they're happy, I'm happy. I probably wouldn't hesitate to wall mount the 3ft floor model in an out of the way location. I may actually do that in my Toy Hauler. hmm....
Roger M. Sonora is offline   Reply With Quote