how many clothes? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I'd think you'd want something semi-nice to wear when you visit friends and go out to eat. Not a tux but maybe something a little preppy? What do you all do for "dress-up?"
if going camping someplace other than the deep back country on a trip of more than a few days I normally carry with me a pair of shoes and dress slacks and a slightly dresser top than my normal camping garb for such occasions. Carry a few accessories for dressing it all up a little if needed.

I do the layout on the bed thing when packing - what I bring for clothing regardless of a week-end trip or a 45 day trip all needs to fit into about a 14" square box I use for holding clothing. If what I have laid out doesn't fit I then have to make the hard decisions as what not to bring. Funny enough even when on long trips I often end up with some clothing I never used. Laundromats can be found pretty well anywhere if/when needed. Only thing that goes in the closet of the trailer are jackets and the dress clothing (if I am actually taking any).
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Why do they call them "clothing optional resorts", anyway???? As if anyone used to staying clothed would be comfortable in such a setting-?
Usually new members or new visitors to such resorts need time to acclimate to the nonchalance. Thus they get used to others being au natural first before they themselves take the plunge, as it were. Usually the swimming pool area is designated as mandatory naked space, where the timid must loosen up.
Quote:
What happened to "nudist"- ????

Francesca, behind the times as usual...
That is a 1960's term which conjures up visions of Woodstock, NY for many reserved people.

The preferred term today is "naturist".
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #23

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I'm glad I read this forum so that I'm up on the latest and now know what naturist means.

I would never make it with a 14" square box. I need two or three times that.
That's before the jackets and sweaters. I do the layering too.

Also always have a rain hat and a sun hat.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #24

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Some great (and giggle creating) ideas here. It seems my initial thinking was reasonably close to what might be required.

Loren has a valid point - I daresay we've both got some raggedy underwear. Wearing such things was taboo when I was a kid "What if you have an accident and have to go to the hospital?" was one of my mother's popular refrains!

We won't be near any nudist places - but if Jen keeps rolling around in the mud a place like that might suit her better than a regualr campground. ;-)
Trust me, I am very thankful to have a layer of fabric and a sturdy pair of boots between me and whatever other stuff is crawling around in the mud!

Somebody mentioned what you do for dressing up? For us that means "hiking clothes that aren't dirty yet." I studiously avoid going out to eat at places where people might care what I'm wearing, which handily answers the question about packing anything fancier than outdoorsy gear.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dressing up is certainly a relative term. In our 11 month trip we had a graduation, a wedding, and .... Generally clean jeans or shorts is enough.

Carol, impressive a 14" cube. Ginny has three 10 x 19 x 16 plastic bins or equivalent and two shelves 10"x24" deep shelves in the over the couch closet.

Jen, Have to ask, What's your mud pursuit?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #26

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Really, the dirt and mud thing sounds worse than it is. Wildlife photography, and when you want to get down low to photograph a wee snake or lizard, or just get a low POV on a bigger animal....well, it means you're laying down nd crawling around on whatever is under your feet. Or you get down on the ground and slither towards an animal to get a little closer without chasing it away by being large and clumping around. Let's say it rained the day before, and there goes the clean clothes you put on that morning. Or you might go and drive your kayak up onto low tide muck to get out for a more stable shooting platform for shore birds, so....walking around in stinky mud.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #27

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
this is about as dressy as i would ever get once full timing!..

AND...i do wear nice mossy oak camo dress shirts to work nearly every day, and down by the river when camping. The main advantage is you look just as good coming back home as you did when going (it dosn't show the day's work grim/dirt if there is any).

happy mossy oak trails
Thom

and besides... I'm an OREGONIAN and proud to show my colors!
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I'm also a shorts & tee shirt type, however since I usually travel for months at a time, and change altitude (and temperatures) quite a bit, I need warmer stuff as well. I normally have about 2 weeks worth of warm weather clothing before needing to do laundry, include two pairs of jeans & long sleeve heavy shirts, and a light & heavy shell.

I always carry one "dressy" shirt & pair of pants that I never wear...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
I would never make it with a 14" square box. I need two or three times that.
That's before the jackets and sweaters. I do the layering too.
Lots of backpacking and kayaking trips helped to teach me a few tricks in regards to traveling light. But years of biz travel taught me the most. Only ever traveled with a carry on bag. Checking in a bag was a sure way to miss connecting flights or in my case a ship. If joining a ship there was no next flight option (unless you flew to the next country it was going to a number of days later). So the only option was to forget a missing bag and join the ship without it. Being the only female on board arriving without any of your own clothing for a 2 to 14 day trip with nothing but the suit you had one was not going to work out well. A good motivator to learn to pack light.

One of the key items that helps a lot to keep things packed neatly into small spaces are backpackers Packing Cubes. They work really well - no ripping everything out of the box or suitcase & then trying to fit it all back in again due to searched for a lost sock.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
smiley face clause enacted...
My wife would strangle me if i even hinted at visiting a clothing-optional resort! . . and who am i to rock the boat after 30 years of marriage bliss
Had the wifey hanging over your shoulder when you posted that one, eh?

I dress in layers, and if I pack for up to a week worth of clothing, I always have more than enough for longer than that. We too start looking to do up a load or two of clothes before the week is out anyway.

I have been know to wear the same shorts for many days in a row, and unless it got real dirty somehow, shirts just get hung to be aired out and reworn.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
What do you all do for "dress-up?"

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #32

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Thom and Francesca....sure you don't live in the Ozarks? Both the camo and duct tape, used together, are everyday things down in these thar hills.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #33

Registry
Can't speak for Thom, but as for my crowd...Ridgerunners R Us!

Francesca
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #34

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Lots of backpacking and kayaking trips helped to teach me a few tricks in regards to traveling light. But years of biz travel taught me the most. Only ever traveled with a carry on bag. Checking in a bag was a sure way to miss connecting flights or in my case a ship. If joining a ship there was no next flight option (unless you flew to the next country it was going to a number of days later). So the only option was to forget a missing bag and join the ship without it. Being the only female on board arriving without any of your own clothing for a 2 to 14 day trip with nothing but the suit you had one was not going to work out well. A good motivator to learn to pack light.

One of the key items that helps a lot to keep things packed neatly into small spaces are backpackers Packing Cubes. They work really well - no ripping everything out of the box or suitcase & then trying to fit it all back in again due to searched for a lost sock.
Thanks Carol.............now I know what it is I've been looking for.
Backpackers Packing Cubes. I've been looking in all the wrong places.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #35

Registry
Those backpacker cubes look spendy... here's an alternative:

Francesca
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can also use the 1 gallon or larger zip lock bags. They compress and stay compressed if you need to save space.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #37

NE Oklahoma
As an old navy salt, I know how to roll things up, that's for sure.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #38

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You can also use the 1 gallon or larger zip lock bags. They compress and stay compressed if you need to save space.
That's what I put my toileties in.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #39

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Can't speak for Thom...
Ridgerunners! LOL

I wear camo basically because it hides a multiple of daily accidental grime... I used to wear plaid...but i'm seriously NOT a plaid guy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Had the wifey hanging over your shoulder when you posted that one, eh?
nope she wasn't anywhere around. I pour genuine kudos & kindness on her every chance i get, in public, out of ear shot, and in private...it's my gooey feminine side showing through.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #40

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Ha, Ha, Carol, I travelled just like you. Customs would always want to know where my bags were when I returned. Thought I was hiding something from them. I had to personally carry the bag all over though. Don't have to do that with the trailer so I feel I can take more. Wouldn't think of taking anywhere near this much if no trailer!. I really don't want to have to wash clothes a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote