how many clothes? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #41

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Something i just remembered we use that might be an appropriate gadget for some here...

Scrubba Wash Bag

really simple to use...a few drops of bio-soap and shake away...a few minutes later dump water and refill with rinse water...hang on line to dry. We use it when we are out and find ourselves in need of a quick wash for a particular garment that might have gotten soiled. Otherwise, like many have posted also, we just wait until at a laundry mat or back home to do the laundry.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
This is how we did laundry in Navy boot camp.

Google Image Result for http://www.justactnatural.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/scrub_brush.jpg
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #43

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I had some photography related items that needed to be 'corralled' somehow and my solution was to sew some suitable sized drawstring stuffsacs out of mosquito net. Easy to make and handy to use - I can see what is in which bag! Now I'm thinking I could make a few more for other bits and pieces that tend to get mislaid.

I added another item to my packing list - lightweight long johns! It is still snowy and COLD here.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #44

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Something i just remembered we use that might be an appropriate gadget for some here...

Scrubba Wash Bag

A bit cheaper option along the same lines and works the same way is to put some water and soap into a kayakers dry bag and shake it up or put it in the back or the car while you drive around and let it slosh around.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #45

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Wink

U R seriously right on there being cheaper alternatives !

_IF_ i have one fault ...
It is that i LOVE gadgets,
Soooo...
I just had to have one!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL I fully understand the LOVE of gadgets!! But when traveling on extended trips with only a kayak one learns that space for gadgets is a precious thing. ;-)

Another even cheaper way is to use a bucket with a lid and toss the soap and water in it and let it slosh around while driving. If you put it in the trailers bathroom it may slosh/agitate around a lot more than if in the back of the car.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #47

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too love gadgets, but if it has anything to do with laundry, then it has no interest at all too me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #48

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
True story:

When my Husband goes on road trips with his motorcycle gang (The Rebels Without a Clue), they put up in motels. When lucky enough to hit on one with indoor plumbing he "does laundry" by wearing his clothes into the shower! Next day he bungee cords the still-damp laundry to the bike atop all the fishing gear he hauls along instead of spare clothing.

By this method he makes do with a single change of shirt/pants, though he does carry two extra undie/socks changes just in case...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #49

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL I fully understand the LOVE of gadgets!! But when traveling on extended trips with only a kayak one learns that space for gadgets is a precious thing. ;-)

Another even cheaper way is to use a bucket with a lid and toss the soap and water in it and let it slosh around while driving. If you put it in the trailers bathroom it may slosh/agitate around a lot more than if in the back of the car.
That's a good one. The fish bucket can do double duty and get washed at the same time. Hopefully the clothes won't smell fishy. lol.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #50

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
...use a bucket with a lid and toss the soap and water in it and let it slosh around while driving...
Before Cari got Gold Fever we would use a spare bucket just for that purpose on the way out of camp to the next one...Now...ALL buckets are full of dirt to go through when she gets home! BUT the gold she's found in those buckets has more than paid for the trips, so it's all good
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #51

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Here are some other ideas for packing clothes, and other items for that matter. Instead of expensive backpacking or suitcase cubes use these Mesh Beach Bags - Oriental Trading or these Neon Net Backpacks - Oriental Trading. I also use net lingerie bags with a drawstring or zipper. The Container Store > Tide™ Fine Washables Bag These can often be found at very low cost at drugstores such as CVS, Walgreens or Target.
My husband and I each pack a 20" duffel bag for our clothing. Shoes and boots are separate. I confess, being a woman, I also pack a 10"x10"x10" satchel for toiletries, first aid kit, curling iron, hair dryer, etc.
My husband chooses to put his clothing on the closet shelves while I put my underwear and toiletries on the shelves and keep my duffel under the table. The 10" satchel I keep in the car. I have created decorative zippered pillow covers that can be stuffed with our jackets. I keep the duffel under the table when set up as a bed. I only need to pull it out 2x a day (morning and evening) when I get dressed. All my shirts and pants are rolled up tightly, Navy style, thereby making them easy to find and replace. The duffel holds a large net bag for laundry.
I hope you find our ideas helpful.
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #52

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

the small & various sized duffel are a great idea...i've been using them since college days and separate out shorts, socks, Ts. Very handy. The other thing i did long ago is find a type of sock (one winter weight, one summer weight) and have all of same type in drawer or duffel. Never a miss-matched set for me!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #53

NE Oklahoma
Thanks Gilda. I haven't seen those items at Oriental.
Of course, it's been years since I got one of their catalogs.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #54

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
That Oriental site has lots of fun stuff. Thanks for the link Gilda. I think I'll be making some more draw string bags with my otherwise useless bugscreen material. I think your idea of stuffing a jacket (in my case it would be be a sweater) in a pillow case, is totally brill. Hubby uses his siwash as a pillow already - now it can go in a case and look a bit tidier. My favourite hand knit pure wool sweater can become one of my pillows and save some room in the closet for something else.

If the weather doesn't improve we might be needing to delay our departure - the campgrounds might all be covered in spring melt in May.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #55

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Clothes Storage

Our approach to storage is typically shelf storage or bin storage. We have 6 shelves, 5 bins and two small overheads, giving ourselves 13 locations for storage.

The two small overheads each contain 3 pairs of jeans.

Our over the coach closet contains 5 clothes storage shelves. They are used mostly for slacks, sweaters, jerseys, pullovers and turtle necks.

These shelves are 27" deep and each capable of storing items two deep. For example the back part of a shelve might be used for a less used heavy sweater or dress slacks and the front for more frequently used light sweaters or pullovers.

We each have a bin for underwear and socks, a bin for shorts and a bin for jerseys.

This philosophy extends to everything in the trailer including pots and pans (separate shelves)and food items (pullout pantry).

This is a picture of my light sweater and pullover shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Meter.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #56

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hazel,
You introduced me to a word new to me: siwash. I looked it up and found that this is a Cowichan Indian sweater. While I've seen and admired these beautiful, cozy sweaters I never knew their name. Actually the sweater could make a fine pillow on it's own! Simply button the sweater, turn the sleeves to the inside and tuck up the bottom to the inside. The sweater now is now a neat package that looks like a pillow!
Happy Camping
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #57

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We're not fulltimers but we've been snowbirds since late 1994 and long distance traverers before that. We take 8 days worth of clothes and look for an RV park with laundry facilities on the 8th day. Hate having to cool our heels at laundromats. At an RV park we can throw our clothes in the machine(s) and go do something else. Supper maybe?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I use those hi-tech t-shirts and some LL Bean travel long sleeve shirts when camping. A small plastic tub with a small amount of liquid laundry soap and I can wash and rinse three shirts. They dry amazingly fast on a clothesline or on the dashboard of the truck. It let's me camp longer with fewer clothes to deal with at the laundromat.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote