how many clothes? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
how many clothes?

I got so many helpful ideas from my post about food I thought I should ask about clothing for an extended trip. We know we will have to do laundry every once in a while - but how much clothing do rv people usually take along?

I'm not taking off without hiking boots, rubber boots, sandals and runners. Also have to take a good windbreaker, fleece jacket, fleece vest, raincoat and pure wool sweater.

I've been thinking that I will be fully clothed when we drive off - will three pairs of pants, a pair of shorts, four T shirts and 3 long sleeved shirts plus socks, underwear, gloves and a hat for warmth and sun protection be about right?

Gosh it is fun thinking about all this preparation! It would be nice if it wasn't snowing again though.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
One week's worth of (change every day!) underwear and socks is rule number one for us!

We start looking for a laundromat around day five- which, by the way, is an excellent way to meet the locals wherever one happens to be. Best tips re. local attractions I've ever received have been at the "fold" table in the local 'mats.

We figure one coat and one sweatshirt each; a shirt change every other day, and pants can go maybe three. Both of course depend on conditions- sometimes we get dirty faster.

We leave the tux/evening gown at home...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Wink

gosh, and i thought for sure the first reply might suggest the idea of traveling only in moderate climates and camp at clothing-optional resorts.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

Registry

Did I beatchatoit, Thom?

Francesca

P.S.

If you ever got a look at me I think you'd agree that in my case at least, clothing is definitely not "optional", and should probably by law extend to the top of my head so as to avoid scaring Children and Horses...

F.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I do a lot of crawling around in dirt and tidal muck on trips, and can't usually wear stuff more than a day or so, so I'll bring three each of pants and first-layer shirts and expect to do a load of laundry about every third day (including the man's stuff too). Throw in one or two mid-layers and a polarfleece plus a jacket and socks/undies, hat and gloves if it's cold, some jammies, and that pretty much fills my clothes bin.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Astoria Oregon
Registry

Soooo... clothing optional resorts featuring mud wrestling for our evening entertainment?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
One week's worth of (change every day!) underwear and socks is rule number one for us!

We start looking for a laundromat around day five- which, by the way, is an excellent way to meet the locals wherever one happens to be. Best tips re. local attractions I've ever received have been at the "fold" table in the local 'mats.

We figure one coat and one sweatshirt each; a shirt change every other day, and pants can go maybe three. Both of course depend on conditions- sometimes we get dirty faster.

We leave the tux/evening gown at home...

Francesca
We haven't calculated our usage yet as weather and timing not good for us.
But your list seems to be what we have figured so far. The tux/evening gown was a growing concern........LOL. Now we know. Besides I haven't even owned a suit for a long time. I quit doing weddings and funerals, so don't need the suit. And to get buried? Don't think I will care what they put on me.

I don't know if anyone does it, but we were thinking of whatever the calculation, they would be the camping clothes and separate from home clothes. Always packed and always ready to go.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
You've probably heard the old joke about packing for a trip. When packing for a trip, put all of your clothes and money you think you'll need on the bed. Then take away half the clothes and double the money--and you'll be just fine.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Those convertible hiking pants with the zip-off legs are great - long pants when it's chilly and shorts when it's hot.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Not a full timer so ignore me, but I'd think you'd want something semi-nice to wear when you visit friends and go out to eat. Not a tux but maybe something a little preppy? What do you all do for "dress-up?"
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #11

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I'm a big fan of the wrinkled look when camping. Tee's and shorts, pair of jeans and sweats, sandals, sneakers. A polo shirt is as dressy as I get! Oh, I agree with warm weather camping, don't like the cold.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Clothing

We're gone for extended periods, 11 months last year so a variety of clothing is needed though we take a marginally dfferent set to Newfoundland compared to Florida. (For Newfoundland we'll bring our heavy woolen Icelandic sweaters, fewer pairs of shorts and leave the swim suits home.)

We do laundry once a week. Have enough underwear and socks for a week, similarly enough jerseys. (In Newfoundland the ratio of short sleeve to long sleeve will change.)

We each have 3 sweaters, a few long sleeve pull overs (mock turtle necks, sweatshirt, etc) and a light jacket. As well we each carry a hiking style rain coat and a pullover in the car.

We each have 3 pairs of jeans. For dress up events we each have a pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt or two. Ginny also has a couple of pairs of 3/4 length slacks. (On long trips it's inevitable that somewhere there's a dressup day.)

If we're southern we have 5-6 pairs of shorts, for Newfoundland 2 pairs.

As to shoes, I have a pair of Keens that I wear everywhere and a pair of Tevas (Keen like). Ginny has Keens, sneakers and a dress pair of flats. We used to carry hiking boots, but no longer.

(Ginny manages to slip in an extra something somewhere????)

We carry no winter clothing other than woolen caps (and of course a couple of baseball type caps). We find even on spring trips to the far north that layering is always the best choice. We find that our raincoats make the best outer layer.

Definitely live with the wrinkled look. Nothing is hung on hangers, everything is folded on shelves or in small bins.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Those convertible hiking pants with the zip-off legs are great - long pants when it's chilly and shorts when it's hot.
Agreed. I love the new synthetic clothes designed for backpacking, as they dry quickly and can washed out in a sink and dried quickly on a line.

I dress in 3 layers - synthetic wicking liner (Coolmax my favorite), hooded fleece for warmth, waterproof breathable windbreaker for protection against rain and wind. One downside of synthetics is that they can be damaged by popping embers from campfires - watch out for that.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
gosh, and i thought for sure the first reply might suggest the idea of traveling only in moderate climates and camp at clothing-optional resorts.
I've been told that DeAnza Springs Resort is a good place. We went past it on our way from San Diego to http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-co-57188.html
Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I don't really like coin operated machines, so I try to take enough clothing to last my whole camping trip... which has worked for up to 3 weeks. But for your situation, I would say a week to 10 days' worth. No way for you to get around the laundromat issue, unless you like using the sink and hanging your undies up in the CG!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #16

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Good information in this thread. I get really cold, easily, so I try to pack so I can go with the layered look. In summer, here in the humid, hot midwest, I even pack a few articles that are warmer than the usual tees and shorts. (one of the things no one tells you prior to chemo is the body thermostat sometimes goes crazy.) LOL
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #17

Astoria Oregon
Registry
smiley face clause enacted...
My wife would strangle me if i even hinted at visiting a clothing-optional resort! . . and who am i to rock the boat after 30 years of marriage bliss
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #18

Registry
Why do they call them "clothing optional resorts", anyway???? As if anyone used to staying clothed would be comfortable in such a setting-?

What happened to "nudist"- ????

Francesca, behind the times as usual...
Old 04-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I sort through my socks and underwear and pack the oldest, most ragged. Then, rather than wash it, I dispose of it and buy new, as needed.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #20

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Some great (and giggle creating) ideas here. It seems my initial thinking was reasonably close to what might be required.

Loren has a valid point - I daresay we've both got some raggedy underwear. Wearing such things was taboo when I was a kid "What if you have an accident and have to go to the hospital?" was one of my mother's popular refrains!

We won't be near any nudist places - but if Jen keeps rolling around in the mud a place like that might suit her better than a regualr campground. ;-)
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote