How many outfits can you fit in your 13/16/17ft rig? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #15

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
where the weather suits your clothes. (I think there was song with that phrase).
'

"....banking off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze, skipping over the ocean like a stone."

Yeah that's the first thing that came to my mind.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #16

Name: Eileen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD 17
Florida
We fulltime in a Casita SD17.
Two of us.
We keep clothes in a hanging organizer in the main closet.
We also keep less frequently used clothing in plastic bins in our tow vehicle.
Our shoes live in pouch style holders hung under the table, and also in a cardboard wine box. The interior bottle compartments each hold one shoe. I also use a wine box for some of my "out on the town" tops. I roll them up and they store nicely in the bottle sections. Those boxes live under our bed, which we leave as a bed fulltime.
I do laundry every 2 weeks. My husband creates twice as much laundry than I! Go figure.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #17

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Nice! Thanks for the data point. So how many shirts and shorts or pants, oor socks does that equate to? Might you have a blog or youtube channel to "study up?" Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by global2edg View Post
We fulltime in a Casita SD17.
Two of us.
We keep clothes in a hanging organizer in the main closet.
We also keep less frequently used clothing in plastic bins in our tow vehicle.
Our shoes live in pouch style holders hung under the table, and also in a cardboard wine box. The interior bottle compartments each hold one shoe. I also use a wine box for some of my "out on the town" tops. I roll them up and they store nicely in the bottle sections. Those boxes live under our bed, which we leave as a bed fulltime.
I do laundry every 2 weeks. My husband creates twice as much laundry than I! Go figure.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
One idea might be to go to WalMart and buy one of the 27 quart Sterilite (or similar) bins, take it home, and see how much of your clothing will fit into one. Ditto for the closet. Find the length of the hanging bar in a FGRV you are interested in and regroup some of your hanging clothes into that same space.

As we all dress differently and have different needs in clothing, that will give you a somewhat, if still imperfect, answer. You will only really know when you hit the road and find what you really do and don't need to carry with you for clothing.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #19

Name: Eileen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD 17
Florida
Bster13:
Sorry, no blog, etc. Too busy being newly retired, LOL.
Clothing items and amount of them would be dependent on climate and lifestyle.
I pack two pairs jeans, 6 pairs cropped jeans, 2 sweatpants, and two pair "dress slacks." 10 tshirts, a few longsleeve shirts, two sweatshirts, and 4 dress tops.
Hiking boots, ugg boots, sneakers, moccasins, slippers, and a few sandals.
I packed to be able to layer to meet temperatures. I also packed light, and after a few months, shopped for what was missing.
Much of what you bring/need is highly personal. Just make sure it can be washed and dried. And start collecting quarters for the washer/dryers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #20

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
has an REI card with a 3 digit membership number, she's a keeper and the other specifications may just fall into place. LOL
3 digits? Will she still be ambulatory? My number is low 6 digits and I'm getting pretty ancient, having joined 45 years ago.

Happy trails, john
Old 07-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #21

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
The goal for me is to retire asap, and of course the younger I retire, the more frugal I need to be as my nest egg is less and my money needs to last longer. Knowing myself, I'd rather cut expenses than work along the way. With that said, one way to cut expenses is to buy a smaller TT and smaller, more fuel efficient TT.
I'd say don't cut it too close. I'd recommend a 17' with a pick up TV. That will give you enough storage space for one or two people.

Fuel efficiency is mostly affected by the aerodynamics of the egg and the speed you drive.

Also, how you set up your 'egg' will determine how much space you have. If you leave the rear bed made up you can use storage bins, with wheels for clothing and other things.

Many people are doing what you are thinking about and don't have a problem with storage.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
If you haven't considered bed sizes, I would do that before getting my heart set on a particular trailer as it was a deal breaker on many of the units for us. Also, what kind of dog? Have you been in any of the trailers yet?
Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
REI

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
3 digits? Will she still be ambulatory? My number is low 6 digits and I'm getting pretty ancient, having joined 45 years ago.

Happy trails, john
Yep, that would put her card in the late 1940's, maybe a bit earlier than I had guessed. Mine is 5 digits from the late 50's when I was in H.S. and they only sold from the co-op or mail order in those days.

The big boost came from CU making their gear in the 60's a Best Buy. But those daze are long gone. We were at the opening of store #2, in Berkley, CA, what a fun zoo that was.

Now back to our regular programming.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #24

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
If you have to do laundry every two weeks, that's 14 days. If you wear each item 2 days, you'll need SIX outfits...6 tops, 6 bottoms. The one you're WEARING is outfit number 7.

Pack VERY washable items, ones you can wear into the shower to wash, then hang overnight. That way you can pack less. You might do the same with underwear.

Practice...if it takes more than one medium large suitcase, you have too much "stuff". Remember, you have to carry what the trailer needs, and have room for that, too.

Mon
Old 07-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #25

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I like Bob's comment on the qualifications of the SO you need/want to meet. I pretty much live up to that description...sorry I'm unavailable as I've been married for over 40 years and still love backpacking and camping. Chances are when you find your SO she will LOVE your cute little FGRV and will think it luxurious and spacious, I do.

We recently returned from a 30-day caravan (camper van the size of a VW bus) trip in New Zealand. We machine-washed our clothes one time and hand-washed occasionally. Because of the new carry-on regulations for small planes we kept our total luggage to one duffle 22" long plus one day pack. (That is basically what we carry on all foreign trips as well as trailer camping trips) There were 3 adults in the camper. It was snug, I won't lie, but we had everything we needed.

In our 13' basic Scamp my husband and I have all the clothes we need. In the closet we installed shelving because the closet clothing bar turned out to be useless. Who needs to have wrinkle-free clothes while camping? Answer: no one. We can store a lot more on shelves. We designate one shelf each for my husband and me. We roll up our towels, shirts, pants etc. I keep underwear, socks, etc. in a zip up "lingerie bag" (cheap at Target stores). Everything else stays in the duffles and are placed under the bed which we seldom set up as a table, unless it's raining. Believe me, your challenge will be finding space for all the OTHER stuff.

The Scamp bed is at 43 1/2" x 76" is called a 3/4 full bed. A regular twin bed is 39" x 76". To say it's "cozy" is an understatement. Strangely, we sleep BETTER in the Scamp than at home in our queen size bed! You know how it is when you backpack...you can sleep on rocks and eat dirt without complaint because you are so darned tired after a day of hiking. When camping we have active days of hiking and we appreciate the comfortable (after a few modifications) bed and the yummy food (my husband is a great cook both at home and camping. So, see what I mean, living in the Scamp is luxurious compared to backpacking. I call our camping experience "glamping".

Note: The attached photos show my custom foam topper covered with cotton knit zip top rolled up and laid down flat. I could not find a photo of our closet shelves but this photo is of plastic shoe boxes that hold storage. You can find my previous postings on bedding and storage on this forum's archives.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 038.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #26

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
You might want to google "capsule wardrobe" the article is written by a woman but the concept works for anyone. A few pieces that are comfortable and coordinate color and style wise.
Personally, I can travel indefinitely with one 21" carry-on and do about the same when in our Compact II. If I had to full time in it I would probably go to two carry-on s. Better to have fewer clothes and do laundry often IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #27

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Denece, I hadn't heard that term before, is this it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_wardrobe
Old 07-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #28

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Here is a better link

http://www.un-fancy.com/capsule-ward...sule-wardrobe/

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV