How many outfits can you fit in your 13/16/17ft rig? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

We just invented the camp stove to make coffee on and keep it hot, and it doesn't even require a 120VAC outlet. And it even does a fair job with old-fashion popcorn.
Making coffee using an REI silicon collapsable coffee cone, dripping into a large thermos also works real well at keeping coffee warm without the need for a microwave.

Although I admit my next trailer is going to have a microwave but for other uses.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #42

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
As far as outfits go, I have about 5 days worth of casual clothing and 2 nicer outfits (which consist of button down shirts and jeans). I have found boots to be extremely annoying in terms of storage, so I got rid of those and now have 1 pair of slip-on hiking shoes that look kind of like loafers and 1 pair of flip flops.

Don't even get me started on coffee, lol, I'm a freak! Essentially, I use a Kalita Wave Stainless steel dripper OR my Aerobie Aeropress, depending on what I'm in the mood for and how I feel. I grind fresh beans with my Porlex mini grinder and I heat my water in a Hario Buono Kettle, using a gas flame. I brew straight into my Snow Peak dual walled mug and then I take a walk.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #43

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloMatt View Post
As far as outfits go, I have about 5 days worth of casual clothing and 2 nicer outfits (which consist of button down shirts and jeans). I have found boots to be extremely annoying in terms of storage, so I got rid of those and now have 1 pair of slip-on hiking shoes that look kind of like loafers and 1 pair of flip flops.

Don't even get me started on coffee, lol, I'm a freak! Essentially, I use a Kalita Wave Stainless steel dripper OR my Aerobie Aeropress, depending on what I'm in the mood for and how I feel. I grind fresh beans with my Porlex mini grinder and I heat my water in a Hario Buono Kettle, using a gas flame. I brew straight into my Snow Peak dual walled mug and then I take a walk.
I wear my boots so storage is not an issue, I suppose I could throw them in the TV if I decided to wear something else. Pretty wide feet, if I painted the boots white I could call them a coffee table in front of the couch.

On coffee I don't know about freak seems reasonable to me? I use a big 16 cup stainless percolator on a coleman stove. Stow some in a 1 Qt. thermos for later after pre-heating thermos with hot water. Then put the rest of the pot next to the campfire to pick up some wood ash and boil slowly down to a nourishing brew you can sink your teeth into.

Sometimes I travel light (forgot the pot) and just throw some ground coffee in a clean (I swear it is clean) tube sock and toss it into boiling water. Generally no one else takes any so I don't have to make as much
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #44

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm NOT a coffee freak but I'm married to one. My DH takes coffee to a higher level than you all! He grows his own coffee in our suburban backyard (and indoors)! He processes and roasts enough beans for one cup at a time and is very proud of his accomplishment. Of course, his two plants do not keep him totally supplied but he really enjoys his homegrown coffee. When camping he uses a single cup filter system that works great.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #45

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Then it rapidly emerged that it's very difficult to make and keep coffee hot under "field-conditions". So now, as we plan our future trailer, a microwave has come to be a "must"!
Gosh, I feel kind of dirty. I was the one who first mentioned coffee and here we all are continuing on about it while the OP is ten days gone.

FWIW, Mrs. Civilguy did concede that the last coffee prepared without shore power or microwave was acceptably hot. I preheated the thermos-style-carafe and the insulated mugs with near-boiling water prior to brewing with a filter cone over the carafe. My greatest fear was that I would forget to empty the hot water from the carafe before starting the drip. I have a near-desperate fear of weak coffee.

The Mrs. is an eminently practical sort. When I expressed this, she simply looked me in the eye and said "then you would have to throw it out and start over".

Just to be good and stay "on topic", we too are learning the role and proper use of the TV as a support vehicle for a small trailer. I heartily second Emily's council from earlier in this thread: "we store a pair of Keen water shoes and hiking boots. I like having them in the car so if we stop and want to hike or play in the water, they are readily available, instead of potentially back at the campsite. We keep our jackets in day packs in the car as well."

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
...I preheated the thermos-style-canister and the insulated mugs with near-boiling water prior to brewing with a filter cone over the canister. My greatest fear was that I would forget to empty the hot water from the canister before starting the drip...[/I]
I do exactly the same, and yup- I've forgotten, and yup- I started over fresh! My wife was still asleep, though, so she never knew! LOL
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #47

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I do exactly the same, and yup- I've forgotten, and yup- I started over fresh! My wife was still asleep, though, so she never knew! LOL
We've had a slightly different catastrophe, when the hinge for the lid on our enamel coffee pot gave way and all the water gushed out at once, ruining the entire set-up. I was asleep, but did know, because I heard the resulting *remarks.*

I was later able to create a new hinge using the wire setup from a champagne bottle. It was effective enough that hubby proudly showed it off to some of our visitors. (Who were there for gin gimlets, not coffee.)
Old 08-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #48

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Well the number of outfits that fit is directly impacted by the coffee equipment required to make it worth getting up and dressed in the morning so...... not totally off track and in the weeds but still we have wondered a bit.

For a couple of trips we used suitcases, stowed on the couch at the street side next to the stove. We can't sit back there anyway and no one sleeps there so it seemed like a good spot for clothes. I would guess one could go three med/large suitcases in that location.

I find the hanger bar useless, DW less so.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #49

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I have a 13' setup and though I am not a bonafide fulltimer yet I do strive to be someday and am lucky enough to be at a place in my career that I can take a month or two off each year to go on long trips and pretend I am a fulltimer now. That being said we have found that we like to pack all of our clothes and what not in duffle bags, we each have one and they slide under the back bed (the big bed which converts to a table in our rig but we leave it as a bed most of the time). Each duffle bag holds two weeks worth of clothing packed military style (as I was so taught in Navy bootcamp) plus raingear, a few pairs of extra socks, two sweatshirts for the cooler evenings, a pair of jeans for when we want to be fancy, and an extra pair of shoes just in case. We also take a jacket with us, Columbia system jackets that can break down into a spring jacket, windbreaker, or put all together to be a very warm winter jacket, that jacket holds a hat and pair of gloves as well. These hang on the back of our seats in the tow vehicle. Hiking shoes/boots are also stored in the cupboard just inside the door of the camper. Once we use up our two week supply we stop and do laundry or stay at a campground that has a laundry at it. I say two week supply, mainly for my wife and traveling partner as if I were along that same amount of clothing could stretch out to a months worth as I often times wear the same outfit two and maybe even three days at a time depending on the weather outside. Her not so much. It has worked well for us, and honestly I have no idea how we could do it different or more efficiently with our little camper if we were fulltime fulltimers. I will be honest, when that day comes we might upgrade to the next size up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote