How many outfits can you fit in your 13/16/17ft rig? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
How many outfits can you fit in your 13/16/17ft rig?

Hello,

I am in the planning phases of going full-time. I do yet own my TT. I've seen plenty of videos giving tours of the inside of their egg camper, but I'd like a little more granularity, specifically clothing.

Can you list the size and model trailer you have, and then how many pair of shoes, socks, underwear, shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, pants, etc. you can fit comfortably, plus how often you are doing laundry? This would help me in the decision process who what size and brand trailer.

I am a male preparing for solo (and hoping for a better half to join me) 3-season full timing experience. Thanks!
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
What size trailer are you interested in, just the egg camper? Some of us have bigger units, responses would not apply if you want a 17' or under.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bryce,
Generally I would say any fiberglass trailer has adequate storage for clothing for a single person.

Ginny and I have a Scamp 16. We travel for over 7 months a year. We do laundry once a month. It usually takes two machines. We carry enough clothes for about 10 days. We have modified our trailer for extended travel and has more storage and more organized storage than most.

You can see our trailer under Modifications

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

I have 2 pairs of shoes and Ginny 3. Ginny carries two dress outfits and I one. We carry no heavy clothing, dressing in layers for cool weather. We do carry sweaters, rain coats and each 3 pairs of jeans.

We modify for where we're going. Cool climates fewer shorts more pants for example.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I would put first priority on selecting a trailer size and floor plan that you like and then select from that group as to storage space. Most of us just find a way to carry what we need in the rig we have chosen for almost every reason except closet space.

Anyway, here's what works for us, a couple in a very small 13' Hunter Compact-II.
We have modified space to give us a double door closet that is about 30" wide by about 48" high, with a full width hanging bar and a full width shoe storage shelf. That holds a few coats, sweat shirts and about two dozen hangers with shirts/tops pants etc. Jeans, shorts and other daily wear items go into the "bins".

The real secret (?) that works for us is "Bins" We have four 27 quart Sterilite plastic bins with snap on tops. Two fit under the bed when it is in Dinette configuration and two are kept in the back of the Tow Vehicle. Two of the bins are used for day-to-day clothing changes, the other two are for seasonal and/or less used clothing. These, and the closet, hold enough so that we only have to do washing every 8-10 days.

But... If you want hotel room comfort and storage, you had better start looking at 17' and larger FGRV's. The smaller ones will take a bit of adaptation and, if you want a better-half to join you in a smaller one, she had better have back-packing/tenting experience on her resume.... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #5

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
not enough info.....

without your weight, waist size, inseam and shoe size how are we to accurately compute how may outfits you can fit in any given size trailer....
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Agreed. I have a North Face parka that would take up half my wardrobe if I had to bring it with me. Haven't worn it since I was dropped off on a frozen mountain during a search and rescue when the chopper had to go for fuel ( and lunch apparently ).
Old 07-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
One of the beauties of full timing or even part time traveling is the ability to go where the weather suits your clothes. (I think there was song with that phrase). My wife and I travel for about 4 months every winter. We head for the southern parts. Here's what works for us in our 13' Scamp. Outer wear like jackets and long sleeve shirts from Travel Smith in closet hanging. T shirts, socks, underwear go into a duffel bags one for each of us. They're placed in the bottom of the closet. Another duffel bag for each is put in the back of the truck, it has a cap. We carry enough for cooler and warmer weather. As Norm stated laundry is washed about every 2 weeks. You have to do that if you're in an anchored house, probably more often.
Sometimes the weather is a bit warmer or cooler than expected, close wear out, so we purchase what we need while on the road.
It really not that big a problem.
A couple hits about clothing from a couple that spent a few years full timing in a 13'. Print shirts don't show stains as bad as solid colors. Don't worry about wearing the same thing for couple days, no body cares. Relax and enjoy the travel.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:12 AM   #8

Connecticut
The goal for me is to retire asap, and of course the younger I retire, the more frugal I need to be as my nest egg is less and my money needs to last longer. Knowing myself, I'd rather cut expenses than work along the way. With that said, one way to cut expenses is to buy a smaller TT and smaller, more fuel efficient TT. So the question about clothes storage space is just one area I need to consider how small I can go. I have backpacked extensively and am a member at backpacklight.com. I get off in going lighter and being more efficient. With that said, I know without out even seeing one in person that a 13 would be great. The "game" of making everything fit the space would be fun. BUT, finding a girl who a) wants to retire early b) is in a position to c) I'm attracted to d) wants to full time e) can/wants/sees the benefits of going ultralight in packing is a real challenge. . So seeing what models u guys have, and how much stuff u can fit I your TW/TT helps me gauge what is possible, especially for the SO along for the ride. I know there are plenty on full timers in class As with a toad, but I'd like to see if my SO would be happy in a FBRV as i see their benefits of being robust, low maintenance and low cost.

(btw, I meant egg camper in the general sense, not the manufacturer. I'm 5'10" and 185 lbs. Bed size and storage in General for tools, camp chairs, SO's dog?, whatever folks full time with, is another thing I am considering so full packing lists are great too)

Thanks for everyone's replies, I really appreciate this vibrant community and hope to see you on the road some day!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:10 AM   #9

Hmmmm... Finding "A" will be easy, but B, C, D, and E? that's a real steep order. Maybe "C" will require some "settling", and you forgot "F", one that is attracted to you....LOL...

There are some "Ladies" RV'ing/Camping groups out there, with members that might fit your criteria, but a common mantra there seems to be something like that very old saying: "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" LOLOLOL

Old 07-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #10

Connecticut
I did forget F, haha. Nice point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm... Finding "A" will be easy, but B, C, D, and E? that's a real steep order. Maybe "C" will require some "settling", and you forgot "F", one that is attracted to you....LOL...

There are some "Ladies" RV'ing/Camping groups out there, with members that might fit your criteria, but a common mantra there seems to be something like that very old saying: "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" LOLOLOL
Old 07-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #11

Connecticut
Bob, do you have pictures of the interior of your rig?

Quote:
I would put first priority on selecting a trailer size and floor plan that you like and then select from that group as to storage space. Most of us just find a way to carry what we need in the rig we have chosen for almost every reason except closet space.

Anyway, here's what works for us, a couple in a very small 13' Hunter Compact-II.
We have modified space to give us a double door closet that is about 30" wide by about 48" high, with a full width hanging bar and a full width shoe storage shelf. That holds a few coats, sweat shirts and about two dozen hangers with shirts/tops pants etc. Jeans, shorts and other daily wear items go into the "bins".

The real secret (?) that works for us is "Bins" We have four 27 quart Sterilite plastic bins with snap on tops. Two fit under the bed when it is in Dinette configuration and two are kept in the back of the Tow Vehicle. Two of the bins are used for day-to-day clothing changes, the other two are for seasonal and/or less used clothing. These, and the closet, hold enough so that we only have to do washing every 8-10 days.

But... If you want hotel room comfort and storage, you had better start looking at 17' and larger FGRV's. The smaller ones will take a bit of adaptation and, if you want a better-half to join you in a smaller one, she had better have back-packing/tenting experience on her resume.... LOL
Old 07-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #12

Yep, here is a link to my Photobucket account.
There are two listings for the Hunter Compact-II in the library, one before and the other one for after we converted the original bathroom to a closet and loo. Feel free to browse the other RV's we have done as well.
Hunter Compact II by Robert Miller | Photobucket

Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #13

Connecticut
So am I correct in assuming you full time in this? If so, if u converted the bathroom, where do you take showers now?

Quote:
Yep, here is a link to my Photobucket account.
There are two listings for the Hunter Compact-II in the library, one before and the other one for after we converted the original bathroom to a closet and loo. Feel free to browse the other RV's we have done as well.
Hunter Compact II by Robert Miller | Photobucket
Old 07-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #14

We don't full-time, but we often get together to go out for a month or more at a time. (We live 1200 miles apart so it takes some arranging, and usually a trip on Alaska Airlines for one or both of us.)

Showers, in order of usual occurrence, are: a) Campground showers or, b) we have an outside shower panel and can do au natural showers or with a tent/blanket for privacy if needed. Doing "B" will add yet another criteria to your other search.
BTW: Hunters don't usually have a shower, or a water heater for that matter, we have upgraded ours somewhat.

Now, if you can find someone that has: a) been a Sierra Club member for 50 years, b) hiked the bottom of the Grand Canyon, the top of Mt Whitney and everything in between and, c) has an REI card with a 3 digit membership number, she's a keeper and the other specifications may just fall into place. LOL

Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #15

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
where the weather suits your clothes. (I think there was song with that phrase).
'

"....banking off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze, skipping over the ocean like a stone."

Yeah that's the first thing that came to my mind.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #16

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
We fulltime in a Casita SD17.
Two of us.
We keep clothes in a hanging organizer in the main closet.
We also keep less frequently used clothing in plastic bins in our tow vehicle.
Our shoes live in pouch style holders hung under the table, and also in a cardboard wine box. The interior bottle compartments each hold one shoe. I also use a wine box for some of my "out on the town" tops. I roll them up and they store nicely in the bottle sections. Those boxes live under our bed, which we leave as a bed fulltime.
I do laundry every 2 weeks. My husband creates twice as much laundry than I! Go figure.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #17

Connecticut
Nice! Thanks for the data point. So how many shirts and shorts or pants, oor socks does that equate to? Might you have a blog or youtube channel to "study up?" Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by global2edg View Post
We fulltime in a Casita SD17.
Two of us.
We keep clothes in a hanging organizer in the main closet.
We also keep less frequently used clothing in plastic bins in our tow vehicle.
Our shoes live in pouch style holders hung under the table, and also in a cardboard wine box. The interior bottle compartments each hold one shoe. I also use a wine box for some of my "out on the town" tops. I roll them up and they store nicely in the bottle sections. Those boxes live under our bed, which we leave as a bed fulltime.
I do laundry every 2 weeks. My husband creates twice as much laundry than I! Go figure.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #18

One idea might be to go to WalMart and buy one of the 27 quart Sterilite (or similar) bins, take it home, and see how much of your clothing will fit into one. Ditto for the closet. Find the length of the hanging bar in a FGRV you are interested in and regroup some of your hanging clothes into that same space.

As we all dress differently and have different needs in clothing, that will give you a somewhat, if still imperfect, answer. You will only really know when you hit the road and find what you really do and don't need to carry with you for clothing.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #19

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
Bster13:
Sorry, no blog, etc. Too busy being newly retired, LOL.
Clothing items and amount of them would be dependent on climate and lifestyle.
I pack two pairs jeans, 6 pairs cropped jeans, 2 sweatpants, and two pair "dress slacks." 10 tshirts, a few longsleeve shirts, two sweatshirts, and 4 dress tops.
Hiking boots, ugg boots, sneakers, moccasins, slippers, and a few sandals.
I packed to be able to layer to meet temperatures. I also packed light, and after a few months, shopped for what was missing.
Much of what you bring/need is highly personal. Just make sure it can be washed and dried. And start collecting quarters for the washer/dryers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
has an REI card with a 3 digit membership number, she's a keeper and the other specifications may just fall into place. LOL
3 digits? Will she still be ambulatory? My number is low 6 digits and I'm getting pretty ancient, having joined 45 years ago.

Happy trails, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote