How safe is Fulltime RVing? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Here in canada you are not allowed to own a firearm for self defense, if you apply for a license to own a gun and use self defense as a reson for owning one YOU WILL NOT GET A LICENSE. You can own a hand gun but it can be for target practise only and you need an annual permit so you can take from your house to the range and back again. Camping in the camp grounds here are very safe only trouble might be rowdy drunks (I have a louisville slugger and its a repeater) when I'm boon docking I have 12 ga. shotgun for bears or any other trouble that might come along, by the way if a bear comes into your camp shoot over his head and they run like a greyhound! after an bear encounter move your camp because they will be back

Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
The first thing that I noticed when I read the blog entry was that it was in Elkhart, IN... where the October unemployment rate was 14.9%. There are a lot of desperate folks out there right now.

Secondly, I carry a handgun for a living (and have for thirty-five years), and if it's not on my hip, it's locked in a firearms safe at home for that very reason. I have no intention of having any of my firearms used against me. There are safes that can be had for RVs as well, and I heartily recommend that if you're going to have firearms along, and they're not on your person that they're properly secured. Long guns can be secured by two long-loop firearm padlocks (available at no cost from most law enforcement agencies). Put one lock through the trigger guard and the action. Put the second through the trigger guard and secure it through the eye of a through eye-bolt properly secured to a wall of your wardrobe. It may not be a gun safe, but at least it'll stop the bad guy from using it either as a club or firearm against you.

Honestly, you're generally more safe in your RV than you are in your home. And statistically, you're much more likely to be assaulted by your spouse, family member, or an acquaintance than a stranger... but as was said above, this world can be a cruel and hostile place, and it's really up to you to secure your safety and the safety of those around you in whatever manner you're comfortable with.

Roger

Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
For myself, I believe the time underway is far less safe than parked just about anywhere. As I get older, I find my greatest problem driving long distances is drowsiness.

That is one reason why I love our Scamp, i.e., when the afternoon slump comes, I can almost always find some place to pull off for a short nap and perhaps brew up a cup of coffee before setting out again.

I strongly believe that my demise is much more likely to be due to a collision or from a stroke or heart attack than due to an intruder. My old Scamp pulled by a 25 year old diesel Jimmy certainly doesn't look like its owner has enough of this ol' world's goods along that would make it worth attempting a robbery.

That's my story and I'm stick'in to it! :>)
Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Personally, I would prefer not to be constantly reminded of the possibility of being attacked or robbed. In fact I even prefer the day when it was illegal to advertise prescription drugs on television. Constantly being reminded of danger and mortallity can make for a miserable existence.
My advice...Take reasonable precautions, then don't worry about it further. Faith makes for a much more enjoyable trip than fear.
Worry does not empty tommorrow of it's sorrow, it merely empties today of it's joy!
Regards; Floyd

Besides; I get a real chuckle at the thought of someone large enough to attack me , trying to do so in the limited confines of my thirteen Scamp.[sounds frustrating!][lol]

Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Personally, I would prefer not to be constantly reminded of the possibility of being attacked or robbed. In fact I even prefer the day when it was illegal to advertise prescription drugs on television. Constantly being reminded of danger and mortallity can make for a miserable existence.
My advice...Take reasonable precautions, then don't worry about it further. Faith makes for a much more enjoyable trip than fear.
Worry does not empty tommorrow of it's sorrow, it merely empties today of it's joy!
Regards; Floyd

Besides; I get a real chuckle at the thought of someone large enough to attack me , trying to do so in the limited confines of my thirteen Scamp.[sounds frustrating!][lol]

Amen Floyd!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #20

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Regards; Floyd

I agree 100%. I listen to my gut and leave the area if something doesn't feel right. If I don't feel any warning signals, I just relax and revel in the joy of camping!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Some folks may choose to camp by a river in Egypt called denial but I prefer to live in the land of reality. Unfortunately there are a few very bad people that we share space with here on planet Tetra Firma and I can't personally do anything about that but to react as the occasion presents itself. The long and short of life is that me and mine are of more personal value than those that may make stupid decisions in life as with crack and meth head junkies that don't understand the concept of compassion. We, lovers of life for the most part are kind, generous, compassionate, law abiding and understanding adults however, when forced to deal with the pond scum of life that has no conscience, compassion or concept of the true value of life especially in regards to you and yours, we must all be mentally prepared to make the decision to protect that which is good or stop that which is evil. If - you are not at that place you are derelict and shame will be upon your wife’s headstone and remorse the flavor of her mouth forever. Responsibility is the mandate of the citizen rather it be in the form of a baseball bat or a weapon of extreme prejudice, the choice is yours as well as the memory. Life is not a joke to be squandered but a gift to be cherished.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Some folks may choose to camp by a river in Egypt called denial but I prefer to live in the land of reality. Unfortunately there are a few very bad people that we share space with here on planet Tetra Firma and I can't personally do anything about that but to react as the occasion presents itself. The long and short of life is that me and mine are of more personal value than those that may make stupid decisions in life as with crack and meth head junkies that don't understand the concept of compassion. We, lovers of life for the most part are kind, generous, compassionate, law abiding and understanding adults however, when forced to deal with the pond scum of life that has no conscience, compassion or concept of the true value of life especially in regards to you and yours, we must all be mentally prepared to make the decision to protect that which is good or stop that which is evil. If - you are not at that place you are derelict and shame will be upon your wifeís headstone and remorse the flavor of her mouth forever. Responsibility is the mandate of the citizen rather it be in the form of a baseball bat or a weapon of extreme prejudice, the choice is yours as well as the memory. Life is not a joke to be squandered but a gift to be cherished.
Psalm 23..... {has worked for me for more than a 1/2 Century}
Old 02-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
... but as was said above, this world can be a cruel and hostile place, and it's really up to you to secure your safety and the safety of those around you in whatever manner you're comfortable with.
I think we have said all there is to say here. I am closing this thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
fulltiming