How to Guarantee RV Will Be Held After Deposit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
How to Guarantee RV Will Be Held After Deposit

What sort of legal documentation should one obtain when putting down a deposit? I am contemplating purchasing from a private seller who will hold the rig for six months before I pick it up. How can I make this situation as secure as possible, so that in six months time the RV will still be waiting for me?

Thank you community.
Salisbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:18 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salisbr View Post
What sort of legal documentation should one obtain when putting down a deposit? I am contemplating purchasing from a private seller who will hold the rig for six months before I pick it up. How can I make this situation as secure as possible, so that in six months time the RV will still be waiting for me? Thank you community.
I've always gone with a hand written note of the down $ and the balance due signed by both parties. Both as a seller and buyer but it was never more than a couple weeks at the most. All but one of over 125 vehicles were done face to face as that can give you good idea of the seller. I've only walked away from a couple because of bad vibes. 6 months is a long time but can work out. Any chance of having a friend do the pick up?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #3

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Quote:
What sort of legal documentation should one obtain when putting down a deposit? I am contemplating purchasing from a private seller who will hold the rig for six months before I pick it up. How can I make this situation as secure as possible, so that in six months time the RV will still be waiting for me?

Thank you community.
One thing to remember don't put down more that you willing to lose. I would do a simple hand written agreement , But you got to remember there is no Guarantee . weather its a company or a private sale. Both you and the seller take risk. unforeseen things happen , one of you could die by then..and a lawyer would come up with a million other possible problem. The longer they time frame the more chance that something could go wrong. personal I put 500 down and hope everything went will. witch it may. Just as long as you understand there no guarantee . other option to fly out look at unit and buy it get insurance and let seller store it. that way you own it and if something happens you have insurance
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Deposit

Hey All,
I have never used one and have no idea of cost, but there are companies which provide escrow services. An independent 3rd party holding your money seems like a good idea, but with anything do your research. Peace.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:

Thank you community.
Have you considered having it shipped instead? I had a Casita 17LD shipped from Denver to Portland, Oregon in the middle of winter for less than $1000 on a flatbed. Not much more than going to pick it up and took zero time/effort on my part.

http://uship.com

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #6

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
How can I make this situation as secure as possible, so that in six months time the RV will still be waiting for me? Thank you community.
Simple.

Purchase a trailer that you physically can go look at in person & take physical possession of at the time of purchase or at a minimum have your shipper pickup the trailer within 2 weeks or less of purchase.

A "deposit" is a down payment to hold an item for a specific amount of time as agreed. Certainly a written agreement outlines the agreement HOWEVER you the purchaser are depending upon the seller to execute that agreement as "agreed" AND maintain the item in the same condition in which your purchased the item. Fat chance in most situations involving the 6 month time frame you outlined.

As a seller I want as much money DOWN as I can get and HOPE you do not come back and perform (purchase the item) as agreed therefore forfeiting your deposit. As a buyer you want to put DOWN as little money as possible in case you change your mind and decide not to perform (purchase the item) as agreed.

As a buyer that written agreement/contract is pretty much a waste of time UNLESS you are willing to file and pursue a lawsuit against the seller if they do not honor the agreement. You will have to file suit in the sellers jurisdiction if that is different than yours and if the amount of money is more than $1500 or less that is typical of most "Small Claims Courts" you will have to file in regular court to pursue the claim. Also all you will WIN is a judgment that will allow you collect whatever the award is. The court does not collect money in a judgment situation. It's up to YOU to try and collect. Once again FAT CHANCE particularly if you live in a different location than the seller.

Bottom line is this.

If physically cannot or will not purchase the trailer as outlined the first paragraph of my post I suggest you run away from this seller as good deals on fiberglass trailers come up for sale everyday across the USA. If you are unable or unwilling to go look and purchase a trailer immediately I suggest you wait until such time that you are able to do so.

Just my opinion to save you a lot of hassle, grief and loss of money!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
If you are worried about a deposit and or partial payment take a look at www.escrow.com.

This is neutral party that will hold the money until a certain event takes place, such as delivery. It is used all the time by ebay buyers of automobiles who are having the item shipped to them. It is pretty slick how it works.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Caveat emptor

I would take possession of the trailer by at least having the title in your name and get insurance on it. This way if the trailer winds up missing, you have legal resource and also can retrieve most of your money back from an insurance claim. Anything else sounds fishy, run Forest run. Caveat emptor!!
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
why would seller hold it 6 months?

It seems there is a pretty good market for FG trailers. I would be concerned as to why a seller, once resolved to be done with the trailer, would want to hold it for another 6 months. Are you paying so much more than any other prospective buyer? I'm an exceptionally nice guy but I wouldn't hold a trailer for 6 months for other than a friend or relative.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

Thank you community.
Even with paperwork there's no guaranty that the trailer will be there or won't be trashed. I'd buy it and take it home. If that is not possible then buy it and put it in a very secure storage lot and hope it is there and in one piece when you pick it up. In today's world nothing is secure unless it is on your property and locked up.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote