Hunting Season, How to deal with? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Words of wisdom Donna! We will play nice........

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I did not want to bring up the debate of guns or hunting. It is a USA way of life for most people. So is guns. I really do not mind them as much as the drunk driver or bad standards.

I just wanted to find out how to avoid the dangerous places during hunting season.

I have hiked in National Parks during hunting season and there was a LOT of wild life. One of the best viewings I have ever done!!!

Thanks.

James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr; 1972 Astro (Havasu?)
Washington
Ever hear of the 11% factor?

Given any statistcal group, 11% will make the other 89% look bad.

I don't hunt but know many who do and they are extremely safety minded and responsible.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #19

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
I've hiked a lot around Colorado and sometimes it was during hunting season. I've never had a problem. My advice--always wear something orange and put an orange bandanna around your dog's neck if it's out of the trailer. If you can find some orange tape, it wouldn't hurt to put some on your trailer. Dying your hair orange might work too although it might cost you some friends. In short, the more visible you make yourself, the less likely someone is to mistake you for an animal.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #20

Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Registry
Agreed. In fact, I tend to wear some sort of bright colors if I'm going seriously off-trail, regardless of the season. Poachers, for example. Also, I'll be easier to find when I have a heart attack from being so d*mn out of shape!

(And I try to avoid wearing bright colors when I'm on well-traveled or NP trails...nothing worse than seeing blaze orange and ditch-digger green against a gorgeous scenic backdrop!)

*also a hunter...and woman who is happy that we can now legally carry in National Parks, etc.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #21

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Bout twenty some years ago I was backpacking in the Pisgah National Forest sans tent of course. Woke up in the middle of the night with about 20+ critters of all shapes and sizes huddled around my sleeping bag.

Couldn't figure out what was going on till the next morning when I kept passing men in orange vests and loaded with armament. The critters had figured out I was the only good guy in the woods and decided they were gonna bunk with me that night.
Greg, that post made my day. I'll be smiling for a while every time I think about it!

(Not to say I don't like venison!)
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #22

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

I recall reading an article on a research project looking into why persons will see game when it is another person.

The set up was: Slides shown hopelessly blurred, then cleared slightly through stages with the participants writing down what they see on the screen at each stage. For example, a Boston fireplug was one of the subjects. They are silver over red. Many persons wrote down that they thought it was a silver tea set on a red tablecloth.

The interesting part is persons were still writing their misperceptions long after it became immediately obvious to anyone walking into the room what the picture was.

The study showed that the brain has a large impact on what we perceive.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #23

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten...t/144/3617/424

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Casita Liberty
For me it is not the hunters, its the drinkers. For some, hunting season is nothing more than an excuse to get drunk. As a hunter, I like to get to bed early so I can be up in the morning fresh and ready to go. Im not pleased when others are up all night drinking and making too much noise. They are not there to hunt, and that is too bad.

IF you want to avoid these types of problems in hunting season, I would recommend looking into state parks. They dont have a lot of hunting opportunities and they are not likely to be too busy in hunting season. You may also find that they have better campgrounds than BLM areas or some other 'hunting camps' in national parks/forests.

genebland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
One takes precautions in any activity depending on conditions. Hunting season is no different. Here's some tips for making sure you're seen or heard
Camp in designated campgrounds or is highly visible dispersed site.
Walk with a partner and keep a conversation going. The object is to make human noises. This scares the animals away and the hunters will know human sounds. If you're buy yourself whistle or sing even badly.
Wear bright colors, good idea much time anyway.
Read your local hunting regulations so you know what's going on around you.

Very very rarely is somebody other than another hunter shot during hunting seasons.

If we simply stopped camping during hunting season we wouldn't have a lot of camping time.

It's far more dangerous driving to a camping area than camping with hunters.

Byron
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As both a hunter and a camper I want to be as far away from people as possible when hunting. It is part of the experience. In MA we have to take a hunters course, 2.5 days and at lease 90% of it is on safety and examples to avoid people getting hurt. We also have wildlife management areas which is pretty much dedicated land for hunters/fisherman.

My advice is to stay off forested trails early in the morning and wear a hunter orange hat if your worried. Everyone is trained to look for that. I would have no fear going camping in a dedicated park during hunting season.

Good luck
Bill caulway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
I camp every year for hunting, we have spots far off the beaten path we call home for 5-10 days, most of our Northern roads are what are called corridor roads hunting is prohibited 300 meters from the road and all the guns have to be encased in this area. We camp along the road then get up early, quad in a few miles to start hunting. Father down South we camp in an area that has hunting out the front door, in the morning we leave in the dark on foot to go to our stands then wait for the game to show up. I think it would hard to mistake a trailer camp for any kind of game and hunters on the whole are a responsible lot, nothing to fear from me I go with 40 shells and I frequently come with back with 40!
Always wear something bright orange when walking or hiking in a hunting area, a hat is best
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Indiana
I am a hunter, and when I lived in Montana and went fishing during elk or deer hunting season I always wore my bright orange hunting vest (even if I was standing in the middle of a river, wading for trout). So I would advise that if you do camp during a big-game hunting season, it would not be an unreasonable precaution to wear such an orange vest when you are outside your trailer; the vests are lightweight, cheap, and readily available. Bright orange caps are also available.

Paul Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote