Hunting Season, How to deal with? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was looking at staying in the public lands and some are closed during hunting season and others are not.

How does one deal and plan around hunting seasons?

Which ones do you avoid? Gun for Dear only?
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
James, having lived in one of the biggest hunting areas in Colorado my suggestion would be, avoid camping during hunting season unless your in a designated campground!

The area I lived in gets inundated for all the different seasons, Deer, Elk, Sheep, Bear, etc etc etc and all the types of seasons, bow, rifle, etc by hunters from all over the country and in my opinion if they fire a gun/bow like they drive a truck I don't care to be anywhere near them. Do yourself a favor stay in a designated campground till the, Men and rifles gone wild are........gone.

And that being said, watch your back even then! Do you know how many hunters have shot other hunters both out in the great outdoors as well in their own hunting camps. The numbers are more than you know............... LOL
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Quote:
Do you know how many hunters have shot other hunters both out in the great outdoors as well in their own hunting camps.

And many would have survived if they hadn't have been skinned and dressed
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
The area I lived in gets inundated for all the different seasons...and in my opinion if they fire a gun/bow like they drive a truck I don't care to be anywhere near them.
Ha! Well put.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Bout twenty some years ago I was backpacking in the Pisgah National Forest sans tent of course. Woke up in the middle of the night with about 20+ critters of all shapes and sizes huddled around my sleeping bag.
Couldn't figure out what was going on till the next morning when I kept passing men in orange vests and loaded with armament. The critters had figured out I was the only good guy in the woods and decided they were gonna bunk with me that night.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #6

Thanks, I will try to avoid hunting season.

I know that there is "NO HUNTING" forest and grasslands.
How do you find these?
Would you still camp in undesignated campgrounds in the no hunting parks?
Is there a list of hunting seasons nation wide?

Thanks, In Texas the forest are closed to camping during hunting season execpt in hunting camps.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Hi James,

I was just reading on the Mt. Rainier National Park web site their statement about people being able to carry guns in National Parks due to the legislation that went into effect in Feb. They point out that though guns can be carried, policies against hunting and/or the use of firearms are strictly enforced - in other words, though guns can be carried, they can not be used in National Parks, so camping in National Parks during hunting seasons might be a good idea. We have camped in National Forest camp sites in September, but perhaps we have been just before hunting was allowed in those areas. We have also left areas as BLM and DNR campgrounds fill with hunters, these tend to be popular areas for hunters.

Most states have web sites and booklets, which you can get in sporting goods or outdoor stores, which list the hunting seasons.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Moderators:

Better keep a close eye on this thread. Since many members of this forum are responsible hunters, the anti-hunting vs pro-hunting rhetoric appearing here may soon approach epic proportions.

Be careful with your harsh generalizations, everyone.

David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Sorry if I contributed to that by laughing at Robin's phrasing - it was more the bad driver aspect of it that made me chuckle (not that bad driving is funny, mind you, but there was just something about the way she said it that gave me an "if you can't eliminate them, laugh about it" feeling).

I have lived "up north" through many hunting seasons, and I agree that there are no doubt more responsible hunters than there are irresponsible ones. Unfortunately, the careless/had-a-few-too-many ones are out there, and so one has to think about them and take care of oneself and one's pets. The fact that they are a small percentage unfortunately does not eliminate them (but thank goodness that is not most hunters).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #10

Well, when one hunter accidently shoots another hunter during small game seaon because he mistook him for a rabbit -- well you get my drift. Guns and fiberglass walled campers don't seem like a good mix to me. Stay away!
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Moderators:

Better keep a close eye on this thread. Since many members of this forum are responsible hunters, the anti-hunting vs pro-hunting rhetoric appearing here may soon approach epic proportions.

HUH? I frankly don't see any anti-hunting statements here. I understand that you may not agree with my analogy of hunting season, but please understand this comes from someone who has hunted herself as well as grew up with a avid hunter and married a avid hunter!

My analogy is not harsh, it's a fact..................................... Even responsible hunter have been known to mistake their prey! Again a fact, not anything coming from a anti hunting agenda.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #12

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Sounds anti-hunter to me.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
If you have the needed to go camping during hunting season then go to a National Park. All the wildlife will be there and the hunters will not.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Moderators:

Actually it seems to me it should be pretty easy to stay on topic and just answer the question ask by the original poster. No need to add anything personal.

Okay everyone?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #15

Words of wisdom Donna! We will play nice........
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #16

I did not want to bring up the debate of guns or hunting. It is a USA way of life for most people. So is guns. I really do not mind them as much as the drunk driver or bad standards.

I just wanted to find out how to avoid the dangerous places during hunting season.

I have hiked in National Parks during hunting season and there was a LOT of wild life. One of the best viewings I have ever done!!!

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Ever hear of the 11% factor?

Given any statistcal group, 11% will make the other 89% look bad.

I don't hunt but know many who do and they are extremely safety minded and responsible.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I've hiked a lot around Colorado and sometimes it was during hunting season. I've never had a problem. My advice--always wear something orange and put an orange bandanna around your dog's neck if it's out of the trailer. If you can find some orange tape, it wouldn't hurt to put some on your trailer. Dying your hair orange might work too although it might cost you some friends. In short, the more visible you make yourself, the less likely someone is to mistake you for an animal.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #20

Registry
Agreed. In fact, I tend to wear some sort of bright colors if I'm going seriously off-trail, regardless of the season. Poachers, for example. Also, I'll be easier to find when I have a heart attack from being so d*mn out of shape!

(And I try to avoid wearing bright colors when I'm on well-traveled or NP trails...nothing worse than seeing blaze orange and ditch-digger green against a gorgeous scenic backdrop!)

*also a hunter...and woman who is happy that we can now legally carry in National Parks, etc.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote