I Just Love The Discussion! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I Just Love The Discussion!

I was so delighted when "Fulltiming" appeared here! We, my husband (6'2"), myself and our adult son with DS full-timed for a couple years in a stick-built 24 foot travel trailer (20 ft. box) and a 75 lb. dog and we constantly heard "How to do stand it?" and I always found that a rather offensive question with the tone they used. I really enjoy the links to blogs by those full-timing in an egg. There is such good information being shared and nothing beats finding a group that understands and appreciates your choices! I looked at photos last week of the places traveled and, well, this week I'm cleaning out the house - townwide garage sale is in April! No words can ever express the feeling of the freedom that I felt when everything we had was attached to our rear! It was just so awesome! Plus, our current dog is only 60 lb. so we have down-sized!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Real Love

We get a similar comment all the time. Outsiders simply don't understand how two people can 'survive' in a small space. Beyond the fact that we do love each other, it's a far simpler life in our trailer on the road than in our house surrounded by friends and relatives.

Here we are ourselves and can do exactly what we want when we want. At the same time the overhead, in both dollars and time is much less on the road.

It's such a good life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
They say that it takes 2-3 weeks to form a new habit, so fulltiming should actually be easier than an occasional trip.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #4

Florida
Getting started

We started very slowly. On our first trip we went to Florida. It took us 18 weeks to cover 1500 miles. The nice pace allowed us to sort out a new life style at a relaxed pace, allowing us to develop a stronger relationship and a fuller understanding of our RV and RVing.

In some sense the beginning is almost like an old fashioned honeymoon where you're gentlely figuring it all out. It's not like a 'working time' vacation where one rushes here and there trying to speedily condense everything into two weeks...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i remember pulling into a certain Rv park in florida a few years back....the average size of the rigs there was 30 feet. there we were, outside of the office ready to check in...and buddy at the desk comes out, looks around and says "hey, where's your rig?". i told him he was looking at it....our 13'er. he laughed and said---THAT??? you two sure must love each other!

we, too, find life on the road/in the trailer much simpler and much easier. we can hardly wait for the next few years to be done so we can start out on our full-timing adventure! to be free of the encumbrances of "Stuff"...which is really all it is, just stuff......ahhh...that will be priceless!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #6

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
After what seems like forever, we are 4 months away from my retirement from the work day world.

Come May 31 I will say "Adios" to the Mom 'n' Pop Print Shop that has been my home away from home for the last 4 years.

We will start out with extended travel heading towards full-time over the following year as we get hometown situations settled and become comfortable with the Vagabond Lifestyle. We appreciate that there will be adjustments and take value in the blogs and postings of those who are currently full-timers.

What Mr. 2Yax and I find is that people are of two camps...the "how can you live in such a tiny space all the time?" and "Oh..wow....can I come?" (His kids fall in the second and I have one in each.) There are very few with whom we talk who fall into any sort of middle ground.

We look forward to exploring this country (and prolly Canada as well) at our own pace and spending our time together. He and I are both comfortable in small spaces and don't have great need for "alone" time now that we are not actively parenting and full-time working.

We are still quite often the smallest rig in the park and we get a lot of attention where ever we are. I'm thinking of making a big, people friendly " Free Tours Daily" "Ask my about my Scamp" sign to put out when we are actually in camp.

Who knows how long we will do this...but our intent is to do so while we're still fit enough to enjoy the adventure. (My boss, howsumever, is having issues.)

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #7

Florida
Ginny said to me tonight that she loves the fact that no matter where we're at, we're always in our home every night. So what if it's 6'8" wide and 10' long.

We're always the smallest rig in the park except when we go to a fiberglass rally.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: Former owner Scamp 13 and 16
Georgia
I always appreciate Norm and Ginny's input. Makes me smile!
HenryNorman is offline   Reply With Quote