I survived my first year!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The "self-contained" requirement also reminds me of some of the private RV parks that will accept only RVs of a certain size and age. They have the right to discriminate, [b]but we do not have to play their silly game!
  • An old Native American proverb states, "Do not judge me until you have walked a mile in my moccasins."
  • A teacher I had in High School told me, "Life, like English, is not in the rules. It is in the exceptions."
  • I think it was the Dali llama who said, "You must know the rules, so that you can break them [b]properly."
The perpetrators of problems are [b]people. Unfortunately, the operators of private RV parks do not have the right to discriminate against [b]people.
But they are allowed to [b]set standards, as long as those standards cannot be misconstrued as discriminatory.

I have good friends that work in the hospitality industry. They used to own a large Bed-and-Breakfast Inn, but sold it after 5 years. After a period of recovery, they hired on to manage a 12 unit Motel. They escaped from there after only 2 years. They now are maintenance staff at an RV park, but they will have to give that up soon. The horror stories they tell from the other side of the desk...

Several "RV Resorts" in San Diego are recently upgraded old "Trailer Parks" which at one time were unkempt properties with decrepit decaying immobile trailers whose permanent residents mainly subsided on welfare. They are on prime real estate that might have been converted to condos, but their new owners recognized the need for convenient RV accommodations. But who is going to rent a weekend there if word gets out your next door neighbor is dealing meth?

After the Oregon Gathering, Robert and I visited his brother in Portland, who lives in a dense neighborhood without space for our Fiber Stream. Before leaving San Diego, I looked online for an RV park or campground, convenient to the city, but they all had age restrictions. Somewhere in the rules statement for one park, there was a disclaimer that they might make an exception to the age limit for something like "a restored vintage Airstream, for example." I emailed them asking for a reservation for my Restored Vintage Travel Trailer and attached a recent photograph of the Fiber Stream. They phoned me a day later to confirm that they received my email, and asked a few questions, to confirm that there was "no peeling paint or broken windows." I told them over the phone that it had been in several shows. They reserved a spot and told me which space I would be in, and did not require a deposit. While I fretted about being turned away when I showed up, check-in was uneventful.

My point is this:
We all discuss here what we do to protect ourselves. The park owners do the same thing.
Learn how to not be a threat to them, they usually don't know you from Adam...
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica M View Post
Awww, thanks guys (gals included of course), this is the first site I went to when I had the internet for any amount of time.

Oh, I learned about Flying J's too, what a great resource for RV-ers! It has saved me so much money.

So, am I the only first time full timer that wasted a lot of money in my first six or eight months because I was a newbie? I can't be mad at myself for not knowing, but I think I wasted about $5000 in the beginning because of inexperience. For the new first time full timer, I think I am going to start a new topic so we can all tell them what we have learned and maybe save them time and money the first go around...looking forward to your comments on it...I bet I will learn some tricks from it too...Monica
Although this is an old post, I'm new here and reading these posts. I'm curious as to why you said you wasted $5k? What and how do you feel this occurred?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Is there a thread where fulltimers can post their lessons learned, so when people make the jump they don't have too learn the hard way?
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #24

Name: Gianine
Trailer: Burro 17 foot
Texas
Hi Monica - I have recently joined the fiberglass forum and saw your posts. I am in the market to buy an egg and am planning to live in it for a year - have rented my house out. I will be in NC the whole time except when I take trips away. How did you survive the winter? I'll be at a campground with full hook ups. How do you keep your water going? I see others talk about winterizing your lines with antifreeze - but I was planning on using the water hook up full time. Is that not possible? Am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica M View Post
Hi all, I know I have been MIA for months now, but I gave up my costly internet service in favor of reading. I missed you all.

Just wanted to let you all know that I had my travel-versary on April 2nd, the day I hit the road full time and for the first time. I went all the way right away...lol.

I have learned so much in this first year, met so many people, seen so many places and had many great adventures.

I was even stalked by a 72 year old solo female pot head there for a minute, THANK GOODNESS my home is on wheels and so I just rolled on out of the situation .

I have experienced the "ultra tight" full timer (uses exactly one square of TP as a napkin and if it isn't too dirty, folds it and saves it for the next meal ), and I experienced the "gotta have every gadget imaginable" guy. Glad to say that I find myself somewhere in the middle.

I have made one lasting friendship, worked my first work camping job, spent my first winter in below freezing temps (with no damage), and visited family I hadn't seen in way too long.

I just wanted to let all of you who helped me so much when I was hunting the perfect egg and just getting started that I am absolutely happy with the full time egg living! I feel healthier, wiser, more free, and completely content.

So...Thank you all! Great to see you again, now I got to go and cruise around the site and see what all I have missed!
gianine c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #25

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
gianine, check with the campground to see if they cut the water off in the winter. You might have to fill jugs with water and keep them in the camper where they won't freeze.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #26

Texas
No - the water is kept on - I've already asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
gianine, check with the campground to see if they cut the water off in the winter. You might have to fill jugs with water and keep them in the camper where they won't freeze.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
What are the low temperatures for winter going to be in NC? If you have extended periods of below freezing, your water lines will have to be wrapped with heat tape, your tanks underneath will have to be shielded from the weather, and your rig will have to be insulated/windows covered to maintain decent temperatures. Lot's to think about to make it through winter in NC with a fiberglass camper.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
winter camping

Gianine My wife, Norma, and I spent 5 years in a Santa Fe New Mexico campground in a stickie 5th wheel. Elevation at 7200 feet and more intense winters than are likely to be encontered in NC. My advice is as follows. Heat tape the incoming water lines as recommended. Don't sweat the holding tanks as the object is to not let any liquids accumulate. Use a porta potti for toilet needs. I know you will have to manually dump every several days into the campground black water drain but it beats, by a long shot, the grief you will create if you try to use your blackwater tank in a trailer that is not moved regularly. The motion is required to liquify the waste in the tank for a successful dump and minus the required motion you are looking at complete disaster. So leave the holding tank valve open on the gray water holding tank ( be sure there is sufficient drop for the sewer hose so that all water runs straight into the campground dump ) and there will be nothing in the tank to freeze as the grey water will run right through the holding tank and into the campground system via the sewer hose. We followed the above procedure and in five winters with temperatures as low as 9 degrees below zero never experienced a single problem. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #29

Texas
Wow - Thanks for the info. I'm sure the gentleman who owns the campground will also guide me through the process. He has been living there for a long time and has probably seen everything. I didn't realize that about a black water tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Gianine My wife, Norma, and I spent 5 years in a Santa Fe New Mexico campground in a stickie 5th wheel. Elevation at 7200 feet and more intense winters than are likely to be encontered in NC. My advice is as follows. Heat tape the incoming water lines as recommended. Don't sweat the holding tanks as the object is to not let any liquids accumulate. Use a porta potti for toilet needs. I know you will have to manually dump every several days into the campground black water drain but it beats, by a long shot, the grief you will create if you try to use your blackwater tank in a trailer that is not moved regularly. The motion is required to liquify the waste in the tank for a successful dump and minus the required motion you are looking at complete disaster. So leave the holding tank valve open on the gray water holding tank ( be sure there is sufficient drop for the sewer hose so that all water runs straight into the campground dump ) and there will be nothing in the tank to freeze as the grey water will run right through the holding tank and into the campground system via the sewer hose. We followed the above procedure and in five winters with temperatures as low as 9 degrees below zero never experienced a single problem. Lee
Old 11-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #30

Name: Richard
Trailer: uhaul ct-13
New Jersey
Registry
getting ready to head out before the first of december!. after a 24 year Military career I am single and leaving the corporate race the last 5 years to enjoy traveling again!
Calud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #31

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Congrats! Enjoy your new life!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calud13 View Post
getting ready to head out before the first of december!. after a 24 year Military career I am single and leaving the corporate race the last 5 years to enjoy traveling again!

Great. We'll be about a month behind you. Maybe we'll see someplace in nice camping spot.
Enjoy
Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #33

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
  • An old Native American proverb states, "Do not judge me until you have walked a mile in my moccasins."
I always follow this proverb, that way when I decide to judge/badmouth him I am one mile away and I have his moccasins.

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote