Icebox Info Needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Icebox Info Needed

The '83 Burro I bought last year was in mid-restoration, and both the original stove and fridge from it's previous "life" were missing. I was fortunate enough to find an exact replacement for the stove, but the fridge is pretty iffy. In fact, I have just about decided that I will replace it with the same type of ice box that was the standard issue item in the Burro originally (the Dometic™ 3-way fridge was an extra-cost option, if I read the manual correctly.)

Therefore... I would like to find a currently available icebox that will be a close fit in the hole that the PO cut for the Dometic™ unit. I would really prefer not to do any more cutting than i can help on the wall where the original went in. Does anyone have a specific model or source that they can suggest?

TIA ~ Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Charlie... do you have cut out dimensions? Since the PO cut the hole, what came with the trailer may or may not fit... but if you give us dimensions, maybe someone will step in with a replacement size/need.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Virginia
Registry
Well duh... whap (sound of dope slap to forehead)

The Burro is out to pasture @ Ft Shenandoah (the North-South Skirmish complex) at Winchester, VA so I'll have to wait until I get back up there next week. I was so busy thinking about the fact that it was "the standard size" that I didn't think to reference what the standard size... was!

I'll repost in a week and a half when I get back from the wilds of the Shenandoah Valley.

Regards,
the Frog
Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Well duh... whap (sound of dope slap to forehead)
There is a better smilie for that
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #5

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Since we have our 91 Scamp's icebox out for cleaning\repairing\painting, I just did a quick measurement. Looks like it would fit rough openings from 17.5-18" wide and 20.5-21" tall.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Since we have our 91 Scamp's icebox out for cleaning\repairing\painting, I just did a quick measurement. Looks like it would fit rough openings from 17.5-18" wide and 20.5-21" tall.
Upon further reflection, those numbers sound pretty familiar... I really did measure the opening when I first got the camper and was starting my plannin' and fixin' on it. Is there an identifiable model for the icebox you folks have, Harlequin?

TIA ~ Froggie
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

Name: Ollie
Virginia
Registry
"Emperial" is the name on the ice shelf.. Tabitha may have seen the model number somewhere? (I'm out of state right now)
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #8

Name: Tabitha
Virginia
Well, couldn't find a model number on it, but here's the stamp on the shelf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iceboxstamp.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	47212
Emperial (tm)
Elkhart, kindiana .......... By Riblet
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #9

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I walked out to my garage and my 09 scamp is for a 17.5x20.5" opening also. I took it out to put a fridge in so let me know if you are interested in assisting me in emptying my garage .
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #10

Virginia
Registry
Ericw,

Thanks for the thought. I'm down in Central VA... and I'm not sure it would be practical for us to ship that box all the way from Michigan to Virginia. What do you think? I know it really isn't that heavy, so if it could be easily packed, it might be worth sending via UPS or FedEx (or perhaps Fed-UPS?? ) Drop me a PM if you would like to pursue it. BTW, I had one of those for about 5 years before I finally found somebody I could give it to, never dreaming that 10 years later I'd need it. Probably the only thing I ever got rid of, if you look at my basement, storage bin etc!

Froggie
Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #11

You could try U-ship or see if anyone on FGRV is travelling from MI through to VA. I call it the old fashioned fiberglass express.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
You could try U-ship or see if anyone on FGRV is travelling from MI through to VA. I call it the old fashioned fiberglass express.
Cool idea, Roy (pun intended! ) I'm going up to see a friend in Hamilton, OH this week and we'll be at the National Muzzleloading Rifle Spring Nationals on Friday, anybody in the Grand Rapids area coming down for that? How about the second week in July? I'll be back in Hamilton, I hope.

Froggie
Old 06-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #13

Is there a forum for the Rifle people? Maybe somebody might be coming from MI for that.