Importance of 4WD? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #15

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
This statement pretty much nails it, very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
Since you indicated boondocking was an important consideration I would advise either a AWD or 4WD vehicle. You really don't want your tow vehicle to limit your options and it will provide the piece of mind to go where you please.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #16

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Randy wins....

Randy wins the most sensible answer to the original question....

Since you indicated boondocking was an important consideration I would advise either a AWD or 4WD vehicle. You really don't want your tow vehicle to limit your options and it will provide the piece of mind to go where you please.

and further to that there is "boondocking" and "BOONDOCKING" !!!

in the first pic below, it'll only take you a couple of hours to drive from bottom right to top left....the ONLY pavement is Highway 19 (and the little bit to Sayward).....besides that every single valley and mountain has logging roads all over it...a very few are like gravel freeways and some are "goat paths" with everything else in between....there are hundreds of lakes...elevations go from sea level to 5000 feet......4WD is "certainly worh the cost" here...unless all you want to do is stay on Highway 19

the second pic is a favorite circuit of mine...you could make it with a good RWD vehicle....except you would have to "attack" a few hills at such a high rate of speed that it would be a "white knuckle" drive...no fun (and dangerous)

the third pic??? try..just try to get turned around (downed tree maybe?) on a road like that without 4WD

it all depends alright...the OP is the only one that can answer his question
Attached Thumbnails
hwy19.jpg   bt1c.jpg  

schbb.jpg  

Old 11-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Not important...
AWD is different from 4WD, neither is needed enough to warrant the cost.
Of the two, AWD would make more sense for towing an RV trailer.
I agree with Floyd.

I towed for 6 years with a full-time AWD and for the last two years with a 4WD truck that requires you to switch it to 4WD. While towing I have only used the 4WD option once in 2 years - it started spinning a bit on a slick grassy/muddy hill in a field I had camped on.

Its hard to say how many times the AWD feature was actually needed in the 6 years I towed with it but its safe to say it did get used more than a few times - as I got caught out in freak snow storms while towing a couple of times & did do some back road (gravel) trips.

I have also observed that when towing at freeway speeds in windy conditions the full time AWD vehicle out preformed the 4WD truck when not in 4WD mode in regards to tow stability. I suspect the AWD feature helped to kept the tug firmly on the road preventing the trailer from tugging at its rear when side winds pushed on the trailer.

The full time AWD vehicle is/was also far better in the snow than the 4WD truck will ever be when not towing.

The one and only downside IMO to towing with an AWD is that you do pay more in the long run as it does result in a bit poorer gas milage or at least that was the case of a full time AWD vehicle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

the second pic is a favorite circuit of mine...you could make it with a good RWD vehicle....except you would have to "attack" a few hills at such a high rate of speed that it would be a "white knuckle" drive...no fun (and dangerous)

the third pic??? try..just try to get turned around (downed tree maybe?) on a road like that without 4WD
Shouldn't you be out grooming the snow or something, instead of sharing with the world the hidden treasures on Vancouver island??????
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #19

Name: Eric
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' FD
California
We are new to towing in four-wheel drive this year. Two situations: (1) We feel a little safer in 4WD on steep gravel or wet dirt, and (2) we made a wrong turn last summer in southern Utah and gradually got into a place where we could have not gotten out without 4WD. My wife drove while I moved rocks in front of the truck and wondered if a Casita can be removed from a forest with a helicopter.
So we are delighted that we have 4WD on our new truck.
The attached photo shows our rig after 20 miles on a dirt road in a rainstorm, in the Mojave Preserve last September.
Attached Thumbnails
20150915_163307.jpg  
Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #20

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If U purchase a new vehicle and do not want 4 wheel drive, B absolutely sure you get one with Positrack differential. The differential that locks the wheel with the best traction will get you out of situations that a normal differential will not.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #21

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I bought four wheel drive because when you buy a truck here in the north country, trucks are four wheel drive, you get the mone back at trade in time. I don't need four wheel drive for towing, but that is what's available here.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #22

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dennis, The 2012 Nissan Frontier that we bought here in Virginia is also 4WD because they didn't have any 2 WDs available. I think the only way to get a 2 WDs here is to order it made.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #23

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Dennis, The 2012 Nissan Frontier that we bought here in Virginia is also 4WD because they didn't have any 2 WDs available. I think the only way to get a 2 WDs here is to order it made.

I first looked at Frontiers in Louisiana and Arkansas last winter when we wer camping there. The majority of trucks on their lots seemed to be two wheel drive. In Colorado, and Montana, when I lived there, most trucks were four wheel drive. It seems to be a regional thing. I special ordered a two wheel drive Ford when I lived in Montana, and learned that when it was time to trade, I lost much more than the price of four wheel drive at purchase time.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #24

Name: Jan
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr., serial#0378
Missouri
Registry
Thanks for all the responses! We really like Alaska, plan to do some towing there. Personally, I like the 4WD as opposed to the AWD; I drive a 1stGen Honda Insight right now and get +/- 60mpg. Regardless of which route we go (I can only imagine being somewhere on a seldom travelled road and getting bogged down without 4WD, not good!) I know I need to be preparing for a whole different world of gas mileage!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I would not take my Scamp anywhere that my Ranger can't go. That would mean dragging it on the frame, tearing off the plumbing, and breaking fiberglass.
And since I have not had to drive over downed tree trunks or ford rivers, I don't need to be concerned about trade-in!
Heck, real boondockers need snorkles on their 4WDs but that might make them bed wetters if they are towing fiberglass trailers.!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #26

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Importance of 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I would not take my Scamp anywhere that my Ranger can't go. That would mean dragging it on the frame, tearing off the plumbing, and breaking fiberglass.
And since I have not had to drive over downed tree trunks or ford rivers, I don't need to be concerned about trade-in!
Heck, real boondockers need snorkles on their 4WDs but that might make them bed wetters if they are towing fiberglass trailers.!

Hey Floyd, If I see your Ranger stuck. I will pull it out with mine (4wd)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV😎
Old 11-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #27

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Hey Floyd, If I see your Ranger stuck. I will pull it out with mine (4wd)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV��
Not to worry, but thanks anyway!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #28

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1447466331.376106.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	90487