Importance of 4WD? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
One last thought about 4WD... I guess it's kind of like someone who has never had glasses, and listened to all the folks who had them and complained that they were too expensive, that they left marks on their nose, broke too easily, and scratched too easily, and didn't talk much about how well they could see with them. Until he went and got a pair of his own in the right prescription, he never knew what the world looked like with them.

4WD is the same. If you've never had it, and you listen to folks who tell you its too expensive, too heavy, too costly to maintain, and too complex... you'll never know how much better, safer, easier, and secure your driving and towing could have been if you'd had it and known how and when to use it properly.
__________________

__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #58
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
One last thought about 4WD... I guess it's kind of like someone who has never had glasses, and listened to all the folks who had them and complained that they were too expensive, that they left marks on their nose, broke too easily, and scratched too easily, and didn't talk much about how well they could see with them. Until he went and got a pair of his own in the right prescription, he never knew what the world looked like with them.

4WD is the same. If you've never had it, and you listen to folks who tell you its too expensive, too heavy, too costly to maintain, and too complex... you'll never know how much better, safer, easier, and secure your driving and towing could have been if you'd had it and known how and when to use it properly.

Not sure this is a definitive summary proving that 4WD is superior to 2WD.

I have owned four wheel drive vehicles when I lived in the snow belt. Only under certain circumstances are they safer, easier, and more secure. And I did know how and when to use it. Living in Florida with no desire or intention to ever experience snow again other than at the snow cone booth at the state fair, 4WD is something I do not need. And while it is more expensive to purchase, though not too costly, it is heavier and does require more attention than 2WD and fuel mileage is not quite as good. And as previously stated, the insurance companies charge more, presumably because they expect all 4WD owners to drive off-road with reckless abandon. I'm glad that some members own and "love" their 4WDs, but that doesn't mean 4WD is superior, or that EVERYONE should opt for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________

__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Not sure this is a definitive summary proving that 4WD is superior to 2WD.

I have owned four wheel drive vehicles when I lived in the snow belt. Only under certain circumstances are they safer, easier, and more secure. And I did know how and when to use it. Living in Florida with no desire or intention to ever experience snow again other than at the snow cone booth at the state fair, 4WD is something I do not need. And while it is more expensive to purchase, though not too costly, it is heavier and does require more attention than 2WD and fuel mileage is not quite as good. And as previously stated, the insurance companies charge more, presumably because they expect all 4WD owners to drive off-road with reckless abandon. I'm glad that some members own and "love" their 4WDs, but that doesn't mean 4WD is superior, or that EVERYONE should opt for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
The constant lack of snow is why I have no desire to live in Florida
Living in Wisconsin I have a great excuse for having a 4 wheel drive vehicle. .
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #60
Junior Member
 
Name: Christina
Trailer: Casita
Nevada
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgeorgen View Post
We are planning our retirements, hope to full-time with boondocking being important. How important is having a tow vehicle with 4 wheel drive?

Thanks!

Jan Georgen
If you are boondocking, especially in the western part of the states - 4x4 is a necessity... 4x4's are more flexible and hold their value. I wouldn't be without a 4x4 - worth every dime...
__________________
Wild Coloradoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #61
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The constant lack of snow is why I have no desire to live in Florida

Living in Wisconsin I have a great excuse for having a 4 wheel drive vehicle. .

Makes me wonder why I see so many vehicles with Wisconsin tags down here every winter. Apparently, not all Wisconsin residents share this sentiment. But as I implied in my previous post, to each their own! If I wanted a 4WD vehicle, I would have one......wouldn't need snow for an excuse.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Makes me wonder why I see so many vehicles with Wisconsin tags down here every winter. Apparently, not all Wisconsin residents share this sentiment. But as I implied in my previous post, to each their own! If I wanted a 4WD vehicle, I would have one......wouldn't need snow for an excuse.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
They are probably lost . I admit that I am not a fan of hot humid weather . When my wife and I retired , we decided to try going South in the winter . We tried it for a couple of years but it just didn't work for us. Like you said "To each their own". We had 58 deg on Saturday , plenty warm for us . Ice fishing in a tee shirt is a lot of fun.
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post

4WD is the same. If you've never had it, and you listen to folks who tell you its too expensive, too heavy, too costly to maintain, and too complex... you'll never know how much better, safer, easier, and secure your driving and towing could have been if you'd had it and known how and when to use it properly.
Never had to buy my own, but got plenty of "readers" from employer and others, also lived 30 miles out in the country for twenty plus years in northern Illinois and never found it worth the cost or the inconvenience.
I did know how and when to use it, and had to know how and when to repair it as well.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,566
Registry
Seems to me there are two kinds of folks answering this question, and two very different mindsets.

One group insists on a vehicle that can go where they want, when they want, in any kind of weather: a no-limits approach to living. Of course they will want maximum capability, and AWD or 4WD does add capability. Most realize that no vehicle can really go everywhere, but they're about minimizing limitations. The added costs are secondary.

Another group is more accepting of limitations. They are okay watching others head out in a snowstorm or drive off down a back road that is beyond the capability of their vehicle. They value simplicity and economy more than maximum capability.

Know thyself.

If you upgrade vehicles often enough that resale is a significant factor in your decision, then perhaps we can add one more.

Know thy neighbor.
__________________
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Seems to me there are two kinds of folks answering this question, and two very different mindsets.

One group insists on a vehicle that can go where they want, when they want, in any kind of weather: a no-limits approach to living. Of course they will want maximum capability, and AWD or 4WD does that. Most realize that no vehicle can really go everywhere, but they're about minimizing limitations. The added costs are secondary.

Another group is more accepting of limitations. They are okay watching others head out in a snowstorm or drive off down a back road that is beyond the capability of their vehicle. They value simplicity and economy more than maximum capability.

Know thyself.

If you upgrade vehicles often enough that resale is a significant factor in your decision, then perhaps we can add one more.

Know thy neighbor.
And the Oracle has spoken. Well said, Jon.
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,566
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
...I did know how and when to use it, and had to know how and when to repair it as well.
...and when to stay home. Every time I see one of the 50-vehicle pile-ups on the freeway, I can't help noticing that plenty of very capable AWD and 4WD vehicles got caught in the mayhem.

Of course, I'm sure a 2WD vehicle started it...

My three favorite vehicles were an '87 Toyota 4WD (4 cylinder with manual transmission, transfer case, and hubs), a '93 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon, and a '00 Toyota Sienna FWD minivan. Each was the right vehicle for the season of life. The older I get, the more accepting of limitations I have become, I guess.
__________________
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...and when to stay home. Every time I see one of the 50-vehicle pile-ups on the freeway, I can't help noticing that plenty of very capable AWD and 4WD vehicles got caught in the mayhem.
You just can't fix stupid, Jon. We have a stretch of I-80 that regularly has twenty-car/truck pileups when it snows. I've lived here now for fifteen years, and a dozen cars go off the interstate there every snow storm, with a pile-up about twice a year. It's straight and level, in the middle of nowhere, and there's absolutely NO reason for those crashes to happen except that people don't know how drive at a safe speed for conditions.

We've got a bunch of eight cylinder vehicles being driven by two-cylinder minds. On ice, it doesn't really make any difference how many drive wheels you have... once the momentum of the vehicle overcomes the coefficient of friction of the tires, it's all over. The key is to slow down to a speed that the tires maintain traction. 4WD does help keep forward momentum under reduced traction situations over 2WD though at a speed where you can maintain traction.

Sometimes I wish that they'd actually make folks take a driving test with decision gates and skidpan handling to get and renew their licenses rather than a parallel parking test. I can't recall anyone getting killed in their car while parallel parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My three favorite vehicles were an '87 Toyota 4WD (4 cylinder with manual transmission, transfer case, and hubs)
I loved those old Toyota compact trucks. I had several of those, and four Land Cruisers over the years. They were bulletproof. At least until the body rusted off of them and/or the frame rusted through.
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Posts: 109
I have a 4X4 Ford Ranger. I also live on top of a rocky knob and have a short stretch of bad road to negotiate. I'm too cheap to get it bladed right now. I can put the Ranger into 4 low and creep down when towing my trailer. My road is rocky, but it can get a little slick when the leaves fall so I can use the 4 wheel drive to get the trailer back up the road. I also use it to back my trailer uphill (nothing is level on my place) and into the shop. It's nice to go slow.

In my fair state, should we be driving on the mountain passes in our 4x4s or AWDs, we do not have to chain up when the CHAINS REQUIRED sign is put up. It has a little Except All Wheel Drive in smaller writing. We lazy people like that. Of course, they can require chains on all vehicles and that is when one does not want to be on the pass.

I went for years with a 2 wheel drive pickup, snow tires, and bales of hay in the back during winter. I didn't pull a trailer with it either, nor did I live on top of this ridge.
__________________
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...and when to stay home. Every time I see one of the 50-vehicle pile-ups on the freeway, I can't help noticing that plenty of very capable AWD and 4WD vehicles got caught in the mayhem.

Of course, I'm sure a 2WD vehicle started it...

My three favorite vehicles were an '87 Toyota 4WD (4 cylinder with manual transmission, transfer case, and hubs), a '93 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon, and a '00 Toyota Sienna minivan. Each was the right vehicle for the season of life. The older I get, the more accepting of limitations I have become, I guess.
Actually, It is at least as likely that an overconfident "driver" in a 4WD, trying to pass everything on a snow packed road started it.

There are still only four little patches of rubber which allow traction for acceleration, steering, and stopping. 4WD does help in the first endeavor, which can cause real trouble for those who expect the same for the other two functions.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,566
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually, It is at least as likely that an overconfident "driver" in a 4WD, trying to pass everything on a snow packed road started it...
Exactly what the little wink was meant to convey...

Because of the other two functions, steering and braking, the right tires are more important than the drivetrain in winter highway driving. Both together (AWD and winter tires) give the best performance, but neither is much help if you have the misfortune or bad judgement to get caught in the midst of a sudden snow squall on a crowded interstate.

Perhaps a 20-year old RWD pickup with an open rear end and bald summer tires promotes better judgment...
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do we really need 4WD?? MC1 Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 38 10-31-2013 07:53 PM
Importance of Walking Roy Bakehorn Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 0 08-04-2009 07:33 PM
The Importance of Walking Ron Wrighton Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 0 03-06-2009 11:34 AM
New Rugged 4WD from Toyota Kent General Chat 21 10-13-2006 04:04 PM
The importance of proper weight distribution Legacy Posts Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 6 03-21-2003 07:48 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.