Importance of 4WD? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #21

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I bought four wheel drive because when you buy a truck here in the north country, trucks are four wheel drive, you get the mone back at trade in time. I don't need four wheel drive for towing, but that is what's available here.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dennis, The 2012 Nissan Frontier that we bought here in Virginia is also 4WD because they didn't have any 2 WDs available. I think the only way to get a 2 WDs here is to order it made.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #23

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Dennis, The 2012 Nissan Frontier that we bought here in Virginia is also 4WD because they didn't have any 2 WDs available. I think the only way to get a 2 WDs here is to order it made.

I first looked at Frontiers in Louisiana and Arkansas last winter when we wer camping there. The majority of trucks on their lots seemed to be two wheel drive. In Colorado, and Montana, when I lived there, most trucks were four wheel drive. It seems to be a regional thing. I special ordered a two wheel drive Ford when I lived in Montana, and learned that when it was time to trade, I lost much more than the price of four wheel drive at purchase time.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #24

Name: Jan
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr., serial#0378
Missouri
Registry
Thanks for all the responses! We really like Alaska, plan to do some towing there. Personally, I like the 4WD as opposed to the AWD; I drive a 1stGen Honda Insight right now and get +/- 60mpg. Regardless of which route we go (I can only imagine being somewhere on a seldom travelled road and getting bogged down without 4WD, not good!) I know I need to be preparing for a whole different world of gas mileage!
jwgeorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I would not take my Scamp anywhere that my Ranger can't go. That would mean dragging it on the frame, tearing off the plumbing, and breaking fiberglass.
And since I have not had to drive over downed tree trunks or ford rivers, I don't need to be concerned about trade-in!
Heck, real boondockers need snorkles on their 4WDs but that might make them bed wetters if they are towing fiberglass trailers.!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #26

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Importance of 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I would not take my Scamp anywhere that my Ranger can't go. That would mean dragging it on the frame, tearing off the plumbing, and breaking fiberglass.
And since I have not had to drive over downed tree trunks or ford rivers, I don't need to be concerned about trade-in!
Heck, real boondockers need snorkles on their 4WDs but that might make them bed wetters if they are towing fiberglass trailers.!

Hey Floyd, If I see your Ranger stuck. I will pull it out with mine (4wd)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV😎
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Hey Floyd, If I see your Ranger stuck. I will pull it out with mine (4wd)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV��
Not to worry, but thanks anyway!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #28

North Carolina
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1447466331.376106.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	90487

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We had on demand 4 wheel drive, obviously not the real thing. We only used it once, forcing it's activation. It may not have even been necessary.

We've driven across Labrador when it was totally dirt and gravel, drove numerous 10% grades and a couple of 18% grades and never needed it, front wheel drive was enough.

That said, if four wheel drive were free to buy and operate I'd probably own a vehicle with it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have 4wd tugs. If your boondocking there is a reason you want the solitude. After you park the trailer is when you need 4wd. Your out in the wilderness and with 4wd you can explore to your hearts desire. Exploring alone is foolish even with 4wd but plain stupid in 2wd. Take your 4wd out in 2wd and if you get yourself in trouble slip it into 4wd turn around and drive back to camp. There are so many neat places at the end of the road.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Attachment 90487

Nice truck, mine's a 2001 Edge with a front torsion bar suspension and a limited slip 8.8.
Attached Thumbnails
july4t1.JPG  
Old 11-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I have 4wd tugs. If your boondocking there is a reason you want the solitude. After you park the trailer is when you need 4wd. Your out in the wilderness and with 4wd you can explore to your hearts desire. Exploring alone is foolish even with 4wd but plain stupid in 2wd. Take your 4wd out in 2wd and if you get yourself in trouble slip it into 4wd turn around and drive back to camp. There are so many neat places at the end of the road.
That does explain the need for 4WD and the passion which justifies it!
However it is still true that it is not beneficial for the purpose of fiberglass RV towing, which is the question at hand...
Old 11-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #33

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I have towed with FWD and no weight distribution hitch, and my tires wore much faster due to tire scrub on the front pulling wheels. Since then I've bought vehicles with AWD or full-time 4WD, and I've been very happy to have it. The vehicles tow with good stability. On the rare days when I've had to go in snowy/icy conditions, AWD was a real pleasure because while others were spinning wheels in futility or shoveling, I could just go on my merry way. AWD has given me the confidence to pull onto some trails and out-of-the-way spots that I would have hesitated to travel otherwise.... like this spot where I drove almost 1/4 mile off the road on a loose sand 2-track, and spent 2 days and nights without seeing another soul.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010350 sm.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	90490

I prefer a full-time system over a part-time one because the former can be used on pavement without worrying about the need to remember to engage or disengage. A part time 4WD usually must be disengaged on dry pavement to avoid driveline damage. Currently I have the best of both worlds though; my '08 Lexus GX470 has full time 4wd plus available low range plus push-button differential lock. I doubt I'll need to use the latter features except on some fairly extreme trails in CO or UT... which would be fun to do someday.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #34

Trailer: Boler
I've been driving AWD cars (Land Rovers and a CRV) for over thirty years and think its one of the best safety factors you can have. For the 2 mpg it may cost for a true AWD system the extra stability in heavy rain and windy conditions is well worth the price. Plus as several other folks have stated its great for boondocking (or even getting up my steep driveway). With something like my Land Rover you also have a low range which is fantastic for backing a trailer into a tight campsite. I couldn't have gotten out of this field without AWD.

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #35

North Carolina
Registry
This one has AWD and 4WD plus 4WD low. I don't use the systems very much because the truck is heavy enough in 2WD for most situations. It is nice to have the option on those snowy drives in the NC mountains. I do use it to back my traIler up my steep gravel driveway. Much more control.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1447474568.691902.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	90491

Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Our life style has us attending fiberglass trailer get-togethers AND four wheel drive club gatherings around the country, as well as being able to camp right on the sandy shore without worry of getting stuck. I wouldn't leave home without it.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0474.jpg   IMG_0229.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #37
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Living in Vermont, 4wd/awd is nice to have and at times a necessity. We have two vehicles, a CRV which is awd, and a pickup, which is 4wd. The pickup is our tow vehicle and pretty much stays parked in the winter. While I could probably get by with 2wd, selling would be problematic. Also, I like the low range gears.

Years ago I recall 2wd pickups with creeper gears (sometimes called granny gears) but they seem to have disappeared. The low gearing makes pulling the trailer up our rather steep gravel driveway much easier. It's a shame low range is not available with awd. While I'm told Subaru sells an awd with a low range, it is not available here. I'm not sure I'd want a pickup without it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #38

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Four Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive is BY FAR THE BEST MONEY you will spend for an option on ANY VEHICLE you will buy.

As a licensed car dealer for over 30 years the typical $2K or less you spend on the 4WD or AWD option will make you vehicle worth that MUCH MORE and many times TWICE the amount you paid for this option in the future when it comes time to trade/sell the vehicle. Hands down the BEST MONEY you will spend on any option on a new or used vehicle. I have seen 4WD/AWD make a vehicle worth as much $5K than the exact same 2WD vehicle without it and in some cases 4WD/AWD makes the difference between your ability to sell the vehicle. Yes it can be that important that in some cases your ONLY option to sell the vehicle may be to trade it in at a dealer. Either way you going to get it BIG TIME right in the shorts when it comes to trade in value.

4WD & AWD drive systems are so good in today's vehicle that any of the pre-conceived notions you may have are gone.

BUY 4WD OR AWD!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Four Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive is BY FAR THE BEST MONEY you will spend for an option on ANY VEHICLE you will buy.

As a licensed car dealer for over 30 years the typical $2K or less you spend on the 4WD or AWD option will make you vehicle worth that MUCH MORE and many times TWICE the amount you paid for this option in the future when it comes time to trade/sell the vehicle. Hands down the BEST MONEY you will spend on any option on a new or used vehicle. I have seen 4WD/AWD make a vehicle worth as much $5K than the exact same 2WD vehicle without it and in some cases 4WD/AWD makes the difference between your ability to sell the vehicle. Yes it can be that important that in some cases your ONLY option to sell the vehicle may be to trade it in at a dealer. Either way you going to get it BIG TIME right in the shorts when it comes to trade in value.

4WD & AWD drive systems are so good in today's vehicle that any of the pre-conceived notions you may have are gone.

BUY 4WD OR AWD!
You sold them, I fixed them!
Consider the extra thousands spent on drive train repairs and hub replacements. My 2WD pickup is still worth more than half its original purchase price after 15 years and 170000miles and its a stick shift! Something a dealer sees as totally worthless.

Word of advice... Unless you just want to foist off a piece of junk, don't EVER trade a vehicle in to a dealer. No matter how many wheels drive the thing, sell it outright and buy cash or suffer the loss.
I have bought 14 new vehicles for personal use over the years and never paid more than 75% of list price. That may never happen again since all the "no haggle, just pay what you are told" policies have become widely accepted.
Also , there is now the "Want it your way? Go to Burger King" policy, which also precludes buying new.

I went to buy a new 2015 car this year and the final price ended up actually ABOVE list price after tax, license,etc... Laughable!
I walked on principle and ended up with a beautiful, low mileage, 20 year old Mustang Convertible from a private party which will increase in value from now on.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #40

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
LOW RANGE!

Low range gearing, found on most 4WD trucks (I believe), will allow you to crawl slowly and safely up steep, rough roads and coast down without riding the brakes. I use it a lot on my 4 cylinder '92 Toyota pickup, especially when pulling the Scamp 13.
Another advantage of low range: SLOWLY backing the trailer into a tight spot.
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote